Why Droid?

Nasteee

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to these forums, and new to the idea of getting a Droid.

I have used several of my friends iPhones, and decided its time for me to get a smart phone. Seeing as how I'm a Verizon customer, and they don't have an iPhone (yet) I'm looking into getting a Droid.

I've come to the conclusion that I think I would like to purchase a Droid X, when they are available.

But my question is, why would a Droid be better than an iPhone?

I want the Droid to be my all in one device, to take away the need of carrying a phone, with my iPod touch. I'm looking for the Droid to play music in my car, and at work. I want it to have my to do list, grocery list, all kinds of things like that.

What are your deciding factors in a Droid over the iPhone? Can you hack a Doid? I've jailbroken my iTouch to change themes, settings, and get free apps. Can you do something like that with a Droid?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Darkseider

Reaction score

I have used several of my friends iPhones, and decided its time for me to get a smart phone. Seeing as how I'm a Verizon customer, and they don't have an iPhone (yet) I'm looking into getting a Droid.

I've come to the conclusion that I think I would like to purchase a Droid X, when they are available.

I want the Droid to be my all in one device, to take away the need of carrying a phone, with my iPod touch. I'm looking for the Droid to play music in my car, and at work. I want it to have my to do list, grocery list, all kinds of things like that.

What are your deciding factors in a Droid over the iPhone? Can you hack a Doid? I've jailbroken my iTouch to change themes, settings, and get free apps. Can you do something like that with a Droid?

Thanks in advance!

OK. The iPhone vs. Droid/Android debate should really come to an end as Android in general and the devices it is now available on, EVO 4G, Droid X, Samsung Galaxy S, etc.. are, in my opinion, a new class of device. The Droid let alone the Droid X is infinitely customizable in stock form let alone if the device is rooted. On top of that the hardware features and power has already dated the iPhone 4 in most respects and these units aren't even the big boys due out towards years end. My Droid has become my netbook replacement. It does everything my netbook did, fits in my pocket and makes phone calls too. It is my MP3 player both personal and in vehicle. It manages my finances with Mint, does my grocery list using Epicurious. It is my alarm clock when I go to sleep. My movie/game player while on the train. Email and document editing. Streams video and edits video. The only thing it doesn't do is make my coffee in the morning.

Hopefully that helps. dancedroid

clucernoni

Reaction score
The very fact that you had to HACK YOUR PHONE to change themes and settings should make you laugh and go with the droid X. Who the hell has to hack their phone to change a theme? How capable can a phone possibly be if that is the case. Oh, and the fact that the iPhone 4 is already outdated a week after it was released and will pale in comparison to the phones coming out with android in a couple of months.

The iPhone will be coming to Verizon within the next year simply because Apple realizes they are outmatched by Android and have to get as many customers on contracts asap before they all go to Android because of the network and realize how great it is.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

The iPhone will be coming to Verizon within the next year simply because Apple realizes they are outmatched by Android and have to get as many customers on contracts asap before they all go to Android because of the network and realize how great it is.

Apple doesn't put customers "on contracts"; carriers do. And if the iPhone4 comes to Verizon, its sales will swamp the various android alternatives.

Darkseider

Reaction score

Apple doesn't put customers "on contracts"; carriers do. And if the iPhone4 comes to Verizon, its sales will swamp the various android alternatives.

I don't see iPhone on Verizon sales being that spectacular. It will sell alot but to existing iPhone customers bailing from AT&T to Verizon for better service. Granted there will be some new uptake and switch overs but not as many as you would think. The best example was the 1.7 million iPhones sold article. Turns out that after looking at the numbers 500k sold in the U.S. the rest worldwide AND approx. 83% of the total sales was to existing iPhone users upgrading. The iPhone has reached saturation and new uptake is slow going considering all of the alternatives, Android in this case, out there.

Nedaroth

Reaction score
Well if your looking to root, Droid would be an excellent choice for you, but if your looking to get free apps from root then shop elsewhere as we support our developers here.

And jsh1120 is spot on about apple sales on verizon.

thelion

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

Can you hack a Droid? CAN YOU HACK A DROID!? First, it is called "rooting" not "hacking" or "jailbreaking." Second, yes, you can. But - more importantly - you don't have to. You can get all the functionality of a jailbroke iPhone in a stock Droid.

Android gives you options and a better selection of quality apps. Apple may have more apps, but Android has more USEFUL apps. Droid has the network, too. It can literally do everything an iPhone can do and so.much.more.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Rooting is a subset of hacking. You can both root and hack a Droid. They're not synonyms.

As with any device comparison, it depends on who you ask. One device does not fit everyone's needs/wants. An iPhone can definitely suit someone better than an Android device. There are even those that don't prefer either of these options.

For me, I wasn't willing to pay Apple large amounts of money to have them tell me what I could and couldn't load on my device. I also wanted all of my apps to be able to multitask. I've never had any major problems with at&t aside from their data support staff but I'm really not much of a fan of them either. Obviously, YMMV.

Can you hack a Doid?
Did you see the hacking section? ;)

I don't see iPhone on Verizon sales being that spectacular. It will sell alot but to existing iPhone customers bailing from AT&T to Verizon for better service. Granted there will be some new uptake and switch overs but not as many as you would think.
I'd guess that the geeks/enthusiasts are less likely but I wouldn't be surprised to see a good number of the more mainstream users switching. People seem to love products that operate as simple appliances and Apple does a really good job of fitting that niche.

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I don't see iPhone on Verizon sales being that spectacular. It will sell alot but to existing iPhone customers bailing from AT&T to Verizon for better service. Granted there will be some new uptake and switch overs but not as many as you would think. The best example was the 1.7 million iPhones sold article. Turns out that after looking at the numbers 500k sold in the U.S. the rest worldwide AND approx. 83% of the total sales was to existing iPhone users upgrading. The iPhone has reached saturation and new uptake is slow going considering all of the alternatives, Android in this case, out there.

We've had much the same discussion in the past, I believe. :) I think you're correct that there won't be a large turnover from current Droid owners to the iPhone. However, the smartphone market is still small compared to the total phone market and the adoption rate of the iPhone on Verizon by current feature phone customers will drive a huge increase in smartphone use. Add the AT&T refugees and the iPhone would be a huge seller.

thedefectkid

Reaction score
Get a Droid! Once you experience it, theres no turning back. Plus you have more control of your phone and can do so many things at once. Also free GPS is probably my favorite thing its gotten through alot haha

dancedroid