Thinking of doing a factory reset...question first

Wendy

Reaction score
My Droid is lagging a bit lately and I was thinking of doing a factory reset. I'm assuming I will have to reinstall all my apps...but is there a backup program that would help me restore the information in the apps, or do I have to re-enter everything in my third party apps?

Thanks!

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
My Droid is lagging a bit lately and I was thinking of doing a factory reset. I'm assuming I will have to reinstall all my apps...but is there a backup program that would help me restore the information in the apps, or do I have to re-enter everything in my third party apps?

Thanks!

Only if you were rooted. There are backup apps that backup the apps data too, but they require root access to use.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

If all you're doing is a factory reset out of your privacy section you really don't have to worry much about doing anything. Your third party apps will not be deleted. That would only happen if you do a hard factory reset, and for your needs that isn't required.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

If all you're doing is a factory reset out of your privacy section you really don't have to worry much about doing anything. Your third party apps will not be deleted. That would only happen if you do a hard factory reset, and for your needs that isn't required.

Didn't know the privacy factory reset did that. My bad. :p Thought it was no different from any other factory reset.

OP
W

Wendy

Reaction score

Thanks!

Ok, I guess I didn't realize there was a difference between a factory reset and a hard reset. So would a factory reset (theoretically) help the lagging problem without a hard reset?

Can someone explain how to do just a factory reset?

Thanks!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

Didn't know the privacy factory reset did that. My bad. :p Thought it was no different from any other factory reset.
I've done both. The one in the privacy section is a soft reset. You didn't say anything wrong, your info is accurate too.

lmapp

Reaction score
I did a privacy reset when I couldn't see Google Earth in the market, and it zapped my downloaded apps. They all restored when I re-entered my Gmail info without any input from me. I had a list of all of my apps, but I didn't need it. Pretty slick.

I had to re-do the settings in the apps, as well as re-do my ringtones, notifications and all of that. It's really not a big deal...like maybe 10 minutes after everything has downloaded from 'the cloud'.

Obvious tip - Try to write down as many settings as you can before the reset.

PS - To do the reset : menu - settings - privacy - factory data reset.

Last edited:

Christobal

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that doing this restet makes the Droid more "snappy" again afterward? I'm noticing a slight delay from time-to-time that I had hoped would clear up after the 2.1 update.

C

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would clean up your Cache - that was my issue. I downloaded Quick App Clean Cache which makes it much easier than going from program to program to do it manually.

OP
W

Wendy

Reaction score
Mine is snappier...but I haven't reinstalled all my apps, only the ones I use all the time.