Think my OG droid bricked itself!

c.r.ayala

Reaction score
For started sorry for the repost i just learned about this section! but heres my problem again:

MY OG has been through ALOT lol tons of flashing..couple of drop accidents..some water damage about a year ago..lol so the fact that it just kind of gave out is really no surprise too me. I have an upgrade coming on saturday so this isnt really a pressing issue seeing as how i can live for the next 3 days without a phone but i was curious if there was any fix for this?

So my OG running Liquid 3.2 started to freeze up n reboot alot yesterday and had to do a couple of battery pulls..couldnt quite figure out why it was doing this either. then on its last reboot the M sign suddenly became off-centered to the left..didnt think this meant anything good!...stuck at the M sign for a good 20 mins then proceeded to an all black screen..now the buttons at the bottom would still give haptic feedback so this sort of signaled that the phone was on..had my friend call it and sure enough it rang with an all black screen still. LOL rather odd. remembering where the answer button is i was able to answer it too!

so i tired getting into recovery and was still seeing an all black screen..again remembering clockworks recovery opens up to "reboot phone" being selected i pressed the camera key and sure enough it rebooted..so it appears that the phone is working just that the display is not.

I am able to get the screen to turn on when i go into the bootloader by pressing up on the D-pad so i dont think that the display is physically broken if i can get it on for that. i flashed a fresh SBF file thru RSDlite to try to get it back to stock and was successful but the same problem persisted when rebooted..M logo off-centered and a black screen proceeding...any suggestions?! :)

OP
C

c.r.ayala

Reaction score
I would repeat the SBF. And btw, which SBF did you use?

I tried this twice and had no luck but ok ill give it a shot since nothing else seems to work...and i use the latest SBF, FRG83G, from peter alfonso's website

dasanman69

Reaction score
I tried this twice and had no luck but ok ill give it a shot since nothing else seems to work...and i use the latest SBF, FRG83G, from peter alfonso's website

I've personally used the file from Pete's page and it worked fine. I would try again.

OP
C

c.r.ayala

Reaction score
just retried to SBF and again..nothing changed. i guess that is the end of my droid? lol

dasanman69

Reaction score
just retried to SBF and again..nothing changed. i guess that is the end of my droid? lol

Damn sorry to hear that. I still have my D1 and I love this phone. Friends that have moved on to other phones still look at mine and always say "I miss that phone"

OP
C

c.r.ayala

Reaction score
any other suggestions?? 2 days till i get an upgrade now so im not dying to get this phone back on but i would like to salvage my OG droid n still be able to play with it after i upgrade rather than toss it..its got sentimental value after all we've been through...haha

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Have you tried an older version?

I mean it might be worth a shot considering it's still bricked.

RIP Droid:frown:

CharlieJ

Reaction score
I have a stock OG Droid -- with basically the same problem. It will receive texts, calls, etc... but the screen stays black. It seems some sort of backlight comes on at boot, but the screen will not light up at all. My question... is there a verified fix for the black screen? Or, is it a replacement only? I've seen various ideas, but no confirmations that a suggested fix worked. c.r.ayala, did you get yours take care of?

I'd like to repair my phone and give it to my daughter... or keep it as a backup.