The Snapdragon from Qualcomm Will Have New Dual-Core Progeny on the Near Horizon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
adreno3xx_sm-qualcomm.jpg

While the new dual-core Tegra 2 from Nvidia was undoubtedly the 'first' amazing dual-core processor technology to show up in smartphones this year, it is not the 'only' thing coming. In fact, not wanting to 'rest on their laurels' Qualcomm, makers of the 'much-lauded' Snapdragon processor, are set to release their newest dual-core offering towards the end of this quarter. Not only is their new dual-core Snapdragon baby expected to ship with some awesome features like 1080p video, HDMI and 1GHz to 1.5GHz speeds, but it also should release with the Adreno 305 GPU, which supposedly can keep pace with current-generation console graphics, like the PS3 and XBox360! Can you imagine 'MGS4' or 'Halo' on your Android phone? Regardless of how this heated competition turns out, it will be us consumers that win-out in the end!

Source: Phandroid

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The xbox and ps3 are both sporting a 3.2Ghz cpu if my memory is right... I have a hard time beliving that it can keep pace. I know Xbox is sporting a new xbox live mobile feature but that has to be dialed down somewhat. Just saying. :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
these chips should be monsters... Qualcomm tends to do it right.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
This makes me really want to wait to see what comes after the Thunderbolt.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Wow! Man I just might have to hold off on the Droid Bionic. I'm due for an upgrade in July and maybe just maybe I might get lucky enough to have a phone with this type of GPU technology come out around that time.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
The xbox and ps3 are both sporting a 3.2Ghz cpu if my memory is right... I have a hard time beliving that it can keep pace. I know Xbox is sporting a new xbox live mobile feature but that has to be dialed down somewhat. Just saying. :)

^+
Exactly... I don't know what crack those people were smoking but you simply can NOT get MULTI-core performance from a 'dual' core, duh... also 1.5G is a FAR CRY (pun intended) from 3+G... it might be 'comparable' to the arcade games perhaps but that it.... The graphical processor alone in both those consoles hold more calculation ability than anything you're going to find in a phone in the next few years (simple limitation of HEAT and POWER with the current technology)

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

^+
Exactly... I don't know what crack those people were smoking but you simply can NOT get MULTI-core performance from a 'dual' core, duh... also 1.5G is a FAR CRY (pun intended) from 3+G... it might be 'comparable' to the arcade games perhaps but that it.... The graphical processor alone in both those consoles hold more calculation ability than anything you're going to find in a phone in the next few years (simple limitation of HEAT and POWER with the current technology)

Don't forget that consoles have to push out 1080p resolution on massive TVs where every detail can be seen. On a 4" screen, its much different. I used to be able to play Crysis on my computer with ultra settings, but in a very small window. Full screen it and thats a much different story.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

Also the Droid Bionic, maybe the Droid 3 will be next with this type of GPU technology.

I was saying the Thunderbolt more because HTC uses the Qualcomm processors and the Thunderbolt is the only LTE phone coming out with a single core. I was considering the TB but I may wait now and see when a dual core Evo-sized beast comes out.

G

Grimster

SIGH..... yet another thread of misinformation.... It is a complete JOKE to think that the adreno 300 series will be as fast as a PS3 or xbox360. LAUGHABLE joke.

This forum is turning into a landfill of misinformation. :(

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
However, you have to remember that it's only powering a 3.5"-4" screen with much lower resolution then what the xbox 360 or ps3 pumps out. The end result will be graphic performance that is on par with those consoles.

SIGH..... yet another thread of misinformation.... It is a complete JOKE to think that the adreno 300 series will be as fast as a PS3 or xbox360. LAUGHABLE joke.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Its not like the OP made this up himself. He just reporting news, thats reported on other sites too....lol

G

Grimster

However, you have to remember that it's only powering a 3.5"-4" screen with much lower resolution then what the xbox 360 or ps3 pumps out. The end result will be graphic performance that is on par with those consoles.
No, it wont.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Yep....I'm itching for a dual-core LTE device but haven't seen the phone with the specs I want yet. My 2-yr contract is up some time near the end of the year and seems to be fast approaching now.

Actually kind of glad I'm being forced to wait. A dual-core LTE with 1gig ram shouldn't be obsolete for a long time. It may not match the future 3-in-1 devices (tablet, netbook/laptop, phone) but unless you have a need for that it will kick for years.