The smart*** governor? (setCPU)

droseum20

Reaction score
I have been using my Motorola Droid 1 for a while, but today I decided to grab a friend of mines Droid Incredible and root it. After a few hours, I rooted the 2.2 Droid Incredible rather simply. I went online to find a kernel for the Droid Incredible and I downloaded and installed the first one I found onto the Incredible. After rebooting the phone, I opened setCPU and took a look at the governors. Everything appeared to be the same but there was one called smartass. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have an incredible but I read about it. Basically it's supposed to make profiles in setcpu or setcpu entirely irrelevant by underclocking when the screen is off by default.

OP
droseum20

droseum20

Reaction score
Oh, thank you. It's not mine anyway. I have a Motorola Droid, but I just got curious and decided to root my friends. I will make sure to tell him what it means right away. Thanks.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I know its a setting in the app, but I edited the thread title in here due to language.

Sent from somewhere...

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lawlz....We can talk all we want about such dull subjects as kernel governors or violations of EULA but not when they're so creatively named.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Technical Details-originally posted by erasmux smartass governor -is based on the concept of the interactive governor. I have always agreed that in theory the way interactive works -by taking over the idle loop -is very attractive. I have never managed to tweak it so it would behave decently in real life. Smartass is a complete rewrite of the code plus more. I think its a success. Performance is on par with the "old" minmax and I think smartass is a bit more responsive. Battery life is hard to quantify precisely but it does spend much more time at the lower frequencies. Smartass will also cap the max frequency when sleeping to 352Mhz (or if your min frequency is higher than 352 -why?! -it will cap it to your min frequency). Lets take for example the 528/176 kernel, it will sleep at 352/176. No need for sleep profiles any more! .,.......... from......

OP
droseum20

droseum20

Reaction score
Thank you, poontab. Do you have a kernel for your Moto. Droid?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know its a setting in the app, but I edited the thread title in here due to language.

Sent from somewhere...

*LOL* When I saw the thread title, I was wondering "Why is there a political thread in the D'Inc Tech Issues forum?" *LMAO*

OP
droseum20

droseum20

Reaction score
Dave, that is exactly what I thought when i posted it! LOL

Poontab, I run a Liquid Slayher at 1.2 GHz. Comes with great profiles. I just starting using Bugless Beast v.0.61 this morning.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lawlz I'm thinking Rod Blagojevich. We better stop talking about Moto's in the Dinc forum.