Incredible 2.2 update letdown

deadhed106

Reaction score
Does anyone else have the same problem with 2.2 on the incredible that the battery will not last more than 30 to 45 mins after the update. Before the update I could get over 8 hours on my battery runnning apps and messages. Now I am lucky to get an hour on a brand new droid incredible that has nothing on it. It has been like this since 2.2. Verizon National tech department states it is too many apps running and to turn off everything, but if this was not an issue before why is it now?

Also has anyone else learned how to delete all the new applications that are installed on the phone by the 2.2 update. Since my battery life is horrid I was thinking anything could help. Any help appreciated, also on old incredible before verizon replaced it thinking it was the phone, I was running advanced task killer on insane killing everything and it did not help with 2.2. I was also told if I root it back to 2.1 it will never work is this true as well?

wasatch

Reaction score
I have had the same problem. I made no changes to my phone habits but once the update hit my phone my battery will last about 4 - 6 hours.

I have read other posts saying don't use task killer because the OS is set up to manage itself but that is not an answer to why the battery life dropped so drastically after the upgrade...with no change in use habits.

I like the droid (incredible) and make use of its capabilities. I would like to know if there is some helpful information about the bat. life issue instead of just diverting to a discussion about application killers. So far that is the only way I can improve my battery life (get about 30 hrs when no heavy calling).

Two questions:
1. I turn off auto sync and then check what I want when I want. Any time I check an app that uses auto sync it restarts and I have to go to settings to stop it again or my apps all begin to autosync leading to quick battery drain. Is there a way to control this behavior or is that my solution?

2. I want to use the phone to keep track of work schedules but do not want items that are somewhat proprietary to be accessible by others...including google. Is there a way to do that?

Happy droid user.

bellbw

Reaction score
I have noticed much shorter battery life. I have turned off everything it seems. Gps and all the apps I can keep from turning on and.it.helps but not enough. Right now I can't see the text box I am typing in which is also weird. My txting has slowed down to where its like a word behind what i am typing all the time. Anytime I try to watch something on YouTube it skips and takes forever loading. It's like the phone dropped 50 percent in quality. Wish I had.never updated. What is the news on some new patches for this **** update? I hate my phone now and before it was the coolest thing I ever bought.

SubMatrix

Reaction score
My guess would be you guys are running some app that was written poorly, and since 2.2 changed the way apps are executed behind the scenes, it doesn't play well with it. That would explain why no change in habits still resulted in a drastic drop in battery life. I bet if you factory reset you will be fine.

You can check the amount of usage of an app by using something like SystemPanel and checking the CPU time.

Other than that, I would suggest the usual remedies: reboot, battery pull, and factory reset.

GeckoDroid

Reaction score
Same here but between City ID..Footprints...both facebook and facebook for htc....flickr...friend stream....peep....skype....stocks.....visual vm...vz navigator....i feel like why are all these running in the backround...and stopping them of course does not help..they re appear in minutes....Only thing i hear is root to delete everything...but i dont wanna...my battery lasts about 5 or 6 hours...thats light work...i took my phone off the charger this morning at 100% had a 2 minute call and i was down to 97%....idk ..i just dont know ... love this phone but its rediculous...I updated to 2.2 immediately after i got the phone i was rushed to update so I dont even know what it was like to have 2.1

my gfs D1 lasts a bit well over a day...im jealous..then again shes not getting raped with extra forced apps....lucky :blink:

Winfield

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the battery life, but I kept getting a force close message on an app that wasn't running (or maybe was running in the background) - it was Mobile Defense. So I uninstalled it with plans to reinstall, but now I'm on a wait list.

I'll keep an eye on the battery thing.

I came to the forum today to look into info on rooting it because I'm TIRED of the bloatware... but I'm scared!!

WLJohnson05

Reaction score
turn your phone off...plug it up to the charger until the light turns green.
then unplug the charger cable and plug it back in...your light should be that orange light again. charge until green and repeat this setup a few times. see how that does for your battery life from now on. it helped mine a lot.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I would say its definitely an app not working correctly. Something is simply not playing well. Not sure about why Mobile Defense would be giving you problems. Mine seems fine. Don't know if it makes a difference that I'm running a rooted ROM instead of the official OTA.

Reaction score
yeah i have the same situation, i feel like my battery gets drained much quicker with 2.2 then it did before. i used to get 15-16 hrs, now i'll be lucky if i can make it to 12.

wasatch

Reaction score
jkhonea - "I'm running a rooted ROM instead of the official OTA"

I have read articles and posts about rooting the Droid. What do you see as the benefit to a user that will not be programming the phone or developing apps?

bellbw

Reaction score
What exactly will I end up with after a factory reset? Does it go to what a new Droid with 2.2 would be like? So basically all my personal changes are gone but its still loaded with froyo or it goes back to 2.1?

My guess would be you guys are running some app that was written poorly, and since 2.2 changed the way apps are executed behind the scenes, it doesn't play well with it. That would explain why no change in habits still resulted in a drastic drop in battery life. I bet if you factory reset you will be fine.

You can check the amount of usage of an app by using something like SystemPanel and checking the CPU time.

Other than that, I would suggest the usual remedies: reboot, battery pull, and factory reset.

raindog

Reaction score
I was getting 2-3 days from my battery before the update but now it's 1-2 days. I hate the fact that so much crap I'll never use is running all the time.

mauiblue

Reaction score
My battery life has fared much better since the update, seriously. Just this past week I wanted to see how far I could go with my 2150 battery and using the Incredible as I normally did. I got about 26 hours of battery life with some light/moderate use. I have most option on (sync, wifi, GPS, live wallpaper and weather updates). I've also notice that since the update, my phone has not done any random reboots.

coxswainqe

Reaction score
How can I force the 2.2 update to my Incredible? I never got the update and a rep from Vz actualy told me to Google it because I would get it faster.