The Shape of the new phones

Maxtrist

Reaction score
Is it just me or have you noticed most of the upcoming 4G phones starting to look like the iphone? Examples: Moto. Atrix, Samsung epic, HTC Thunderbolt. That is unfortunate. I’ve always admired the design of the Motorola Droid/2 and Droid X because they are more rectangular (more masculine?) than most phones out there and IMHO set them apart from the rest of the herd. I hope the next generations “Droid 2 & X” maintain their rather unique designs.
My 2c.
icon9.gif

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah phones are getting more "curvy". It's the new look and it really does feel more comfortable in the hands. I don't have an iPhone, but when I did actually mess around with one it felt nice in the hands.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
And just to add, the Droid 2 is more curved than the original Droid, which I did own for about a year. Feels about the same as the Droid 1, but the edges of the phone didn't feel as sharp.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There will always be options. I wouldn't assume any trends at this early stage of the game.

turdbogls

Reaction score
there is a reason they look that way. not many people want sharp corners and edges on their phones. imagine trying to get something with non rounded corners out of your pocket.

i have the DX and i love the fact that it has the hump on the back, makes it look completely different than anything else out there.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Curvy feels nice, but it also makes it slip out of your hand easier, like a bar of soap.

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
there is a reason they look that way. not many people want sharp corners and edges on their phones. imagine trying to get something with non rounded corners out of your pocket.

i have the DX and i love the fact that it has the hump on the back, makes it look completely different than anything else out there.

Now I have the image of a humpback phone.

I have the Droid X, also, and like the camera "hump." The phone doesn't like flat and has a little incline to it when I have it on my desk.

The X is a wee-bit big, though. My previous phone was an Eris, which was a nice size. The X can really fill a pocket. Not sure how else they would be able to make phone now, with all the requirements that we now expect them to have. I remember when you could tell what phone a person had from a ways away. Now you sorta have to be close to try to figure out what they have. It's even more difficult if there is a case on it!:icon_eek:

OP
M

Maxtrist

Reaction score
Obviously the personal tastes vary greatly. As for me, I am in holding mode but if Droid X was avaialble in 4G, I would have got one today.

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Yea i don't like it either Motorola need to keep the way it is for sure

Tappen and Talken

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've never been one to care or notice much about the "aesthetics" or "sexiness" of a phone. If I want to make a fashion statement I'll buy a nice watch.

That said, I'm not sure how different you can really make these phones look. It's not like a car, there's only so many ways you can design something that fits in the pocket, and no physical buttons just creates even fewer options. There's even issues to consider with a humped back, like thinking about how people will hold the phone or laying on a flat surface (which could slide on a car dashboard or on an airplane tray).

Just saying it's not like the IPhone can really patent much about the look of the phone as most design types would be considered "obvious".

OP
M

Maxtrist

Reaction score
kodiak799

"I've never been one to care or notice much about the "aesthetics" or "sexiness" of a phone. If I want to make a fashion statement I'll buy a nice watch.

That said, I'm not sure how different you can really make these phones look. It's not like a car, there's only so many ways you can design something that fits in the pocket, and no physical buttons just creates even fewer options. There's even issues to consider with a humped back, like thinking about how people will hold the phone or laying on a flat surface (which could slide on a car dashboard or on an airplane tray)."
Respectfully disagree. I believe the aesthetics are almost as important as functionality but not for fashion statement reason, at least not for me. My cell phone is my little portable office and it is an integral part of my business life therefore I want to feel good every time I look at it and feel comfortable using it. It isn’t for showing off because those days are gone when Cell phones were novelties. Nowadays even little 8 year old carry the latest cell/smart phones. The design has to evolve & hopefully for better. Remember when Razor’s design set some new standard? When it came out it was unlike anything that I had seen. It had a fantastic design and it was functional too. But if all phone designers copied the Razor, there would not be an iPhone or Droid today. I think there is lot of room for good and innovative design I just hope that the industrial designers are not getting lazy. It is much easier to copy than to be innovative.

Last edited: