The Lifespan of Phones

Renae

Reaction score
it looks great too. Other than the gold coating coming off the camera button. It looks brand new.

Yeah my gold is wearing off too, but I hate the color gold so it doesn't bother me too much.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Byakushiki

Reaction score
My D1's still going strong, aside from some dings and scratches from dropping it on pavement several times. The screen's cracked pretty badly, but you'd be surprised how well the touchscreen still functions. Not a single dead spot or anything. Heck, it feels like if I try to boot it up 10 years from now, it'll still boot and scream "droid" :laugh:.
The gold paint on the camera button is still there too, and it's just passed the year old mark.

Low Saturn

Reaction score
I still have my original Droid. FedEx man delivered it December 30th 2009. Functions better now than it did the day I got it thanks to CyanogenMod 7. And it looks great too. Other than the gold coating coming off the camera button. It looks brand new.

I'd post pics right now, but I can't take pics of my phone with my phone. I can't believe they dont have an app for that. :)

I believe a mirror is what you are looking for lol

Haha. Should I pout my lips and take the pics at a high angle? Oh yeah, and tilt my head too? :) Actually I dont think you guys would like to see a 40 year old guy with a grey beard doing any of that. At least I hope not.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I wonder if part of it is because these are more then just phones for people. In the past, we use justed phones for talking. Later text and then sometimes for internet. They would last for years. Although some didn't.

And how you take care of them.

And maybe even the upgrades like dgoakill mentioned. With the longer time inbetween upgrades now, maybe that will help older phones.

My first Droid was bought in May 2010, lasted under a year. Died when I tried the Barcode Scanner (it was one that I had used before too). So for a while now I've had my second Droid 1. However, it's still running nice.

My d1 is doing fine on the hardware side of things. But I have a bunch of apps that I feel that I can't live without and my system is really bogged down with the small amount of storage available. all of my buttons work fine, my screen is great with no scratches and I don't have a screen protector, the sides and back are good. Maybe I am gentle with it but physically it is in good condition. I just want something faster with more space for apps that won't allow me to move to the sd card. I'm ready for you bionic!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

That's me too. Too many apps, not enough space.
Although I'm wanting the Droid 3 (really like keyboards, when I need them, which seems to be more often with the blogger app). Even though I have 4G here, the phones are too expensive for me. I can wait on that for a while.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea my Droid 1 is doing fine too. Got it in March 2010 tho...and it was manufactured in 2010 too, so I'm not an early, early adopter. My Droid 1 wasnt from the first batch.

My Droid X1 has taken more of a beaten...both held up fine after numerous drops. Few scratches on the screens that also arent noticeable unless looking for them.

Derekweb

Reaction score
My D1 hardware is holding up well. Stock. But the lag kills me because I am running launcher pro and Beautiful widgets, as well as a few more widgets. Can't use tasker because the lag is impossible on top of the others. Need more memory badly - and have to uninstall apps to free up memory, and run cache cleaner and reboot regularly. Too many apps can not be moved. If the Bionic has a lag also, I will go to iPhone.

305rev305

Reaction score
My D1 hardware is holding up well. Stock. But the lag kills me because I am running launcher pro and Beautiful widgets, as well as a few more widgets. Can't use tasker because the lag is impossible on top of the others. Need more memory badly - and have to uninstall apps to free up memory, and run cache cleaner and reboot regularly. Too many apps can not be moved. If the Bionic has a lag also, I will go to iPhone.

You will not experience a lag with the newer android phones...btw, HTC lags way less than any other android. Sense UI is awesome

MattHenson20

Reaction score

You will not experience a lag with the newer android phones...btw, HTC lags way less than any other android. Sense UI is awesome

Corretemundo, go with an HTC if Lag is your complaint, and if you like having your bootloader unlocked :)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the lag is the UI not being gpu accelerated. On Android phones, stock Android isnt to my knowledge. If it is someone please enlighten us.

Sense UI, Touchwiz, the latest version of this Blur all are or do a better job of it. Sense UI always was, thats why it was always the smoothest UI.

For the hate that custom UI's get...if they are gpu accelerated and stock Android on phones isnt yet....I'll take a custom UI any day over stock.

Zregnier

Reaction score
Got my D1 in Jan 2010 and it runs pretty good thanks to root and 900 mhz kernel. Don't know how anyone has an unrooted D1! My upgrade is in Sept and I'll get the Bionic unless the Vigor is confirmed for Oct.

On a side note how do you get CM7 to run good on your D1? When I tried it my homescreen was getting killed with nearly every app I ran. Pete's Gpa14 has worked unbelieveable for me so I've stuck with it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

endobrian

Reaction score
Really, they are designed for 2-3 years of hard service. Anything else, and both carrier and manufacture lose money. I read another 3 years to the life would add another 100 bucks to the cost. My parents still use the Razor! But really, changing processor/radio technology is dictating that phones should only last 1 to 2 years.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Although I had to have my Original Droid replaced 4 times in the first month of purchasing it(3 hardware problems with 3 brand new droids), this 4th one I have has lasted over 2 years now and is in perfect condition. It doesn't really lag either, although it will lock up sometimes, usually for a few seconds then comes back.

I've had the same screen protector and case on it since day one, so the phone itself has zero blemishes or scratches/dings. As the others have mentioned, the gold camera button that's never been used has faded to white heh, strange considering I've never used it.

I had my Motorola Razr for 6 years and it still worked perfect when I gave it to my brother, he killed it in 1 month. It's the phone I had before I purchased the original Droid I have now.

It's all about how you take care of a device, especially phones being the way they are now. They're computers, if you know how to keep a computer running smoothly, your phone will last well into your next upgrade date.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I still have my original Droid. FedEx man delivered it December 30th 2009. Functions better now than it did the day I got it thanks to CyanogenMod 7. And it looks great too. Other than the gold coating coming off the camera button. It looks brand new.

I'd post pics right now, but I can't take pics of my phone with my phone. I can't believe they dont have an app for that. :)

I believe a mirror is what you are looking for lol

Haha. Should I pout my lips and take the pics at a high angle? Oh yeah, and tilt my head too? :) Actually I dont think you guys would like to see a 40 year old guy with a grey beard doing any of that. At least I hope not.

Do it!!!! LOL!!!!

meishkov

Reaction score

I'd have to recommend that you partition your SD card for a ext2/3/4 partition so that you can move the apps and their necessary system files to the SD card, greatly increasing available storage size. While your at it, make a swap partition. I made a 64MB one, and this seems to be the only way that gingerbread will run on my phone. Been running smoothly for a couple months now. It's similar to compcache, but uses the SD card instead of the internal memory.

rayw796

Reaction score
I just received my upgrade notification July 14. My Droid 1 is looking and working fine as far as the hardware is concerned. However, the apps and updates are wanting more storage, more RAM and faster processing, just like any other computer. When I upgrade in the next couple of months, it won't be because I have to, but because I want a newer system with faster CPU and graphics, greater RAM, more storage and the latest bells and whistles.