The Lapdock 100 for the OG Motorola Droid RAZR Drops to $50 Bucks; Sold Out Online

jaybogg

Reaction score
Forgive me for sounding stupid, but what is the lapdock useful for or at least what are the benefits of using / owning one? Also, is this price good at locations like BJ's, Sams, Costco and mall kiosk locations?

It is a netbook looking device that allows you to dock a compatible phone and run an application, webtop 3.0, that gives you an experience somewhere between a tablet and a netbook, but has a fully functional phone as well. The processor and all apps reside on your phone, it's the webtop app that differs from your usual phone experience. It has a keyboard not too unlike that of a netbook, built in speakers, a couple of USB ports, and its own battery and external power supply which will also charge your phone when the phone is docked. With a phone, I would consider it an Android based netbook. Without a phone, it is an interesting paperweight. I will probably get all kinds of holes shot through this description, but those are my thoughts on how to describe it.

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
So, would you say it's a gotta have item? At least at this price? How easy is it to connect to the RAZR and does it have HDMI?

JayBusa102709

Reaction score
I would think at 50 dollars why wouldn't you pick one up its an awesome deal. Try to but a netbook or tablet for 50 bucks.

pftwanger

Reaction score
Hi EA:

The Lapdock 100 doesn't have HDMI out, but if you can use any of the features that Jaybogg listed in his near-perfect description, I'd say it's an absolute steal at $50. I also have 10" tablet, which is Wi Fi only. With the Lapdock 100 I can do just about everything I do on the tablet, and I can do it anywhere without being tied to WiFi hotspots and without using tethering. It gives my RAZR a whole new lease on life.

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
Ok, I'll try to find one tomorrow. I know BJ's discount club store has two at their Verizon kiosk but I don't know if the price is the same or not. I figure Verizon is Verizon, the price should be the same. Thanks to all for the info.

JayBusa102709

Reaction score
The price will not be the same you Janet to go to a corporate store period. Found this out when I got my bionic padlock. Verizon is definitely not Verizon. Go to a privately owned wireless zone and try to get one for 50 dollars.

JayBusa102709

Reaction score
It will most definitely still be 200 there and everywhere that isn't a corporate store.

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
The price will not be the same you Janet to go to a corporate store period. Found this out when I got my bionic padlock. Verizon is definitely not Verizon. Go to a privately owned wireless zone and try to get one for 50 dollars.
My name is NOT Janet.

Last edited:

Fuzzball

Reaction score
Anyone know why they aren't discounting the 500 as well? The VZW store employee said it was on closeout as well.:blink:

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Anyone know why they aren't discounting the 500 as well? The VZW store employee said it was on closeout as well.:blink:

They seem to be doing them increments...The Bionic lapdock was $50 a couple or so months back..so the 500 could show up down the road or it may not - who knows...

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
Just picked mine up at the Verizon kiosk at BJ,'s, $53.34. Could have been a corporate kiosk, I don't know but I got it. When I went to brick and mortar Verizon store last night, they were able to tell me who had them in stock and the kiosk had them.

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
So, does it have a battery built in I can't find anything in the manual about it? It's a little tight fit plugging in on a Otterbox Defender case. Any advice?

pftwanger

Reaction score
Hi EA:

Congratulations on scoring one--I hope "Tis My Droid" is as lucky!

Yes, the battery is built-in. The first time you plug the phone in and power it up, look at the lower right hand corner of the screen. You'll notice that there are *two* battery icons. One is for the phone and the other is for the lapdock.

The case I have for mine is much skinnier than the otterbox and it's still a tight fit. I don't think it's intended to accommodate cases generally. Do you have the kind of otterbox where you can take off part of the shell? That's the only suggestion I can offer.

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
I can wedge it in, but it is tight, and sometimes it'll pop out. Otherwise I'll have to take it out of the Defender case which is a pain. I've got the battery charging now. In my area, there are eight lapdock 100 still in stock so hopefully everyone who wants one can get them.