The End of Unlimited Data Plans?

R1Lover

Reaction score
I use less then 5gb and would love a price break because of it.. I'll let you guy streaming all day long pay for the 4G network lmao

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you got your dates wrong, if he got a phone on 3/1/2010 with a 2 yr contract it would be up on 3/1/2012. But none the less if verizon does something to alter the plan you signed then that is a way out. Just like when I signed up with Alltel years ago, and I got a new phone with a 2 yr agreement, when they switch to Verizon, they gave me the option to get out of that agreement early.

Bingo, that is right...Verizon is not going to care if the phone works or not, in fact they would not even know because I be calling it in and saying I want out do to YOU breaking my contract with the new data requirements. The article said Verizon customers would be able to break their contracts if a change is made. When they break a contract you get to keep the phone...so whether it was damaged or not really does not matter to them.

So it provides a way out....
I'm having a hard time understanding what you are saying. But, bottom line is, lets wait and see what the heck happens, if it happens.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This talk about getting rid of unlimited has been going on for over a year and a half. I'll believe it when I see it. This is nothing new.

iPirate

Reaction score
I use less then 5gb and would love a price break because of it.. I'll let you guy streaming all day long pay for the 4G network lmao
Just wait till you download one extra website and have to pay the next level an additional $10. Not to mention worrying about how much you download constantly...

TBV

Reaction score
Bingo, that is right...Verizon is not going to care if the phone works or not, in fact they would not even know because I be calling it in and saying I want out do to YOU breaking my contract with the new data requirements. The article said Verizon customers would be able to break their contracts if a change is made. When they break a contract you get to keep the phone...so whether it was damaged or not really does not matter to them.

So it provides a way out....

Just because that's what the article said doesn't make it accurate...

If VZ is to adopt the usage changes being discussed, your existing contract would stay exactly as it is until you upgrade and/or are changing to equipment that requires that it do so under the new restrictions. That's what the term 'grandfathered in' means, there will be no change to your existing agreement unless you choose to activate a different device on the line that requires activation under new terms or renew your contract with a device that can only be activated under new terms.

If you have lost, destroyed, or had your phone stolen and it was not insured, and you have no old phones to activate or otherwise provide your own equipment that adheres to your existing plan, VZ does not have to let you out of your contract because there are now new plans in place with different restrictions and the only way for you to activate a phone is for you to buy a new one (which will renew you contract unless you buy the device full retail...but even then, there are times when a device can only be activated on certain plans or with certain features).

From 1st hand experience in the stores I have seen it happen...for example, a customer has one of the old broadband cards that have unlimited data... they want to upgrade and we let them know that the new devices have a 5G max before we process the transaction...if they demand that they have unlimited data as has been the case with their existing device, they must keep the device they currently have or get a 'same as' replacement if the item was broken, lost or stolen.

So with all that being said, when time for an upgrade (unless it is an early upgrade in a two year contract), you are either on a month-to-month basis or no more than four months from the end of your contract...therefore, if you do not want to go into a new contract that has a
gb
limit tied to the device you desire, you can take your wireless business elsewhere once the contract has ended...however, it has been my experience that once the big carriers make a change such as what is being discussed, it becomes the norm of the industry...we shall see.

Riddick

Reaction score
Utterly ridiculous and just another method for the telco's to scam us like they currently do with text messages. The ONLY way this would be reasonable would be if "ligh" users" could get substantially cheaper plans (~10$ a month), normal users paid what they pay now (30$), and super heavy users who used tethering and downloaded hundreds of gigs a month off torrents were the only people really affected. But we all know that's not how it will work, they're going to try and use this to gauge us.

What's sad is that there is no true competition in the industry, the biggest telephone companies will simply do this at the same time like they did with the text messaging rates and people wont have any choice but to comply.

lschicky

Reaction score
I wonder what the FCC is going to say about this, I know they have been watching AT&T and their data transfer issues. It's something we have to be very vocal to companies & the FCC to.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
My bet is that by the time anything like this goes into effect, we'll be hard pressed to find a spot that's not covered by free wi-fi...making the whole argument pretty pointless.

kaboyd

Reaction score
Things like this make me so angry I can't stand it. Just another scumbag company trying to squeeze normal hardworking people for every last buck. It really kind of makes me sick. And this is coming from someone who can afford it. It aggravates me to no end. Is my *97* dollar phone bill, AFTER a 22% discount, not enough? Really? Really?

But part of me wants to say that it may be too late for this to happen. People will lose their minds. I just don't see them getting away from all the backlash. I know for a fact I would call them and say "I have my cable, internet, home phone, and cell phone through your company. If you dare change my bill, I'll cancel every single service." I guarantee I'll get a response out of them then.

The only problem there is I'd have to goto Comcast. Ugh.

Sigh. these things really do make me too angry. I started thinking that if they did do this, we should set up a day where we can all turn on Pandora at the same time to boycott. :)

-Wil
+1 I will be outraged if I have to dump a penny more into a cell phone company for the service I'm currently getting. I use around 5gb of data per month without streaming Pandora. I can imagine it will be much higher if I stream music. This is my first smartphone, and I'm hooked. I just hope to keep using it wherever I want, not just where i can get a wifi signal.

orangepeel

Reaction score
I don't think Verizon will do this at this time,but I said that very same thing when I had a an "unlimited"data card. Guess what they did? They went to a 5 gig limit and threw me off the network for not keeping under their new terms of service even though that is not what I signed up for. You won't believe this but when Verizon terminated my aircard account they acted like they where doing me a favor by not making me pay the ETF fee because my contract was not quite up!As for the contract we signed, they have the right to change the TOS ANYTIME they like. In the fine print of the contract they have the right to change the terms of service.

If anyone doesn't believe me,just search for EVDO forums and go into the Verizon/Sprint terms of service forum and see what they did to people under the "unlimited" plan they had signed up for years ago.

Another thing they (Verizon) will do if they do go to a cap,or price increase is start making new customers,or people out of contract to sign up for the new data cap contract. Oh yeah,they will also try to trick you into the new contract by offering you really good deals on the latest phone/datacard to get you to sign up for a new contract. The may even lie to you and tell you that you will stay under the old contract,only to find out that once you swapped devices that you aren't under the old contract. If the CS rep lies to you and you don't have it recorded you are crap out of luck.

As for the "free phone" deal,yes you will probably get the free phone because they probably will not implement this on "grandfathered" in contracts until they are up,which by that time your phone will have already been paid for anyway.

I'm not saying any of this is going to happen,but I wouldn't put it past any of the "big 3" doing something like this....if anyone has ever had a data card then you would know how they will give you the shaft. The cell phone companies are powerful,and have FAR more rights than the consumer.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ehhh, I got by for years without a smartphone and I'm pretty sure I can again.

WiFi at home or work where I spend 90% of my time I'd just go with email, or drop the data plan all together.

If the speeds are sufficient and they want to jack up the price and I can tether to drop my home broadband, then I might be willing to pay $30 more.. But I'd have to get over 10mbps (I get @5 now) on 3G, and that's right now. Actually, 4-5mbps is more than sufficient if you aren't downloading and sending huge files and videos.

Actually, we're getting more value out of cable (ok, that's debateable) and broadband, but we're paying for it. I think I used to pay like $70 a month for cable and internet, now it's $130 (but that includes hi-def service and integrated DVR, and hi-speed broadband). $200 a month for cable, cell and internet! (and I know that's cheap to what some people pay).

When FIOS gets to my area, I probably step-up to one of the premium all-inclusive packages.

solorca

Reaction score
I remember when Time Warner tried this in four "test sites", and I was one of the sites. It lasted exactly 4 days before they had so many people cancel their service that they dropped the plan.

Hopefully the same will happen to Verizon and AT&T if they try that. The thing about going this route is that there will be a company or two (Sprint, T-Mobile, etc.) who will see this as an opportunity to win new customers over to their side. There will always be unlimited options out there, especially if it's a way to steal customers from the big two.

Frankly, my service with Verizon has been getting worse and worse over the past year or two...so if they decide to try to nickle and dime me some more, I'll just give Sprint a shot. From everyone I've talked to in this area, Sprint 's service has gotten much better than in the past.

modette

Reaction score
Actually, we're getting more value out of cable (ok, that's debateable) and broadband, but we're paying for it. I think I used to pay like $70 a month for cable and internet, now it's $130 (but that includes hi-def service and integrated DVR, and hi-speed broadband). $200 a month for cable, cell and internet! (and I know that's cheap to what some people pay).

I pay $70 a month for Comcast, that includes Broadband 6Mbps, Hi-Def with DVR Channels 1-100 (those same channels on Hi-def) I think it is 700-800.

I been paying $70 a month for the last 8 years...LOL As low as $50 a month before I had Hi-def. Every 6 months I call in and they reduce the price back down. It is funny last time they actually called my bluff and told me to drop TV for 3 months...but this is first level help desk...they are always shocked when I respond to their "that was a promotional rate" with "oh as you can see that is about all I have EVER paid". Then they say, "your right". So far I just call a gal I have contact with in the Retention Department. Funny with a simple call to her the rate goes back down with a click...LOL I'm know to haggle...and been known to haggle to prove you can even at stores like Target, Sears, and Wal-marts. :)

As for getting out of Verizon contract it is a moot point really because everyone here is assuming stuff, stuff that has not happened...and I'll admit I even assumed. Getting out of contracts in not that hard, most are written pretty poorly even by large companies like Verizon, or are not 100% legal...just because it is a contract does not make it 100% legal. I got a few lawyers in the family, one actually deals with contractual law. I'm never that worried about getting out as you can find a way.

The worst Verizon could do is report you to a credit agency, well I own my home, I own my cars, and pay cash for other stuff...and have a great credit card through my Credit Union...so really, what would reporting me do. Will not hurt me one bit. I actually would probably just pay them.

I'm reading the form now, It is $350 ETF, but is lowered $10 a month that you are into the contract. (So after a year that be $230) However Costco's policy is 90 day return on phones, but you got to pay the ETF by Verizon, so if you wait till near the end that could mean only $320 you got to pay Verizon. Factor in Costco would return $200 to us, that is only a $120 ETF...assuming we really don't like it. I'm okay with that.

It also states 2-year contract the customer can upgrade after 20 months into their contract...so means you don't need to stay in for the full 24 months as long as you are upgrading phones. Thus no ETF.

Anyone want me to scan and post this???

Edited to say:
The $350 ETF is not per phone but per contract...this is one contract under my name. Just wanted to make that clear. So seeing as one phone was free...one could look at it that minus the $200 off it would of cost for that phone on contract before the deal (if not more) then the ETF is actually only $150. Not bad at all. Well off I go to call the Home Owners insurance to see if this is covered.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The point may be moot, but its never "mute".