The Droid 3 is laggin big time.

doogald

Reaction score
One other idea: try a third party launcher. I've been running the stock launcher for a while now with only two widgets - the stock people widget that comes on the center home screen by default, and the power control widget, to get toggles for data sync, wifi, GPS, etc.

I've noticed that as time goes on - after the phone has been powered on for 12 hours or so - the battery starts draining faster. After charging the phone again to full charge, I'll find that the second day I get much worse battery life - so the phone will drain to 40% by the end of the day rather than my standard 60%.

Last night I reinstalled ADW EX and restarted the phone. I am getting better battery life today. I'm hoping that I will see the same tomorrow. Obviously, I don't have the people widget, but I have a hard time believing that is a battery drain.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Holo Launcher is also quite good and looks a lot like the ICS launcher.
I want to second the vote for Holo -- had it for a few weeks now and really like it. I pretty much never get screen redraws when I return to the homescreen (I think I chose the option to keep it in memory). I also added Holo Locker, which allows me to pull down the notification screen while locked, which is a feature I really like.

The other app I'd recommend is Profile Scheduler (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wetpalm.ProfileScheduler), which I use to switch over three locations (home, work, out). I've noticed that if I switch work to wifi->on, with data->off and phone->off I get crazy, crazy battery life. Apparently my phone spends a LOT of time at work searching for signal (which I was not able to diagnose with several utilities). A clever trick in Profile Scheduler is instead of using GPS to get location, you can use cell-tower IDs, which are a lot cheaper battery-wise.

Anyway, with those two changes my D3 is MUCH more pleasant to use (though I also get the call-now-connect-in-5-minutes issue too). I was close to abandoning it, but now I'm more comfortable waiting a bit more (probably until the HTC One reaches Verizon...or maybe I'll wait for the mysterious X in October).

Another observation: my wife's D3, which is totally stock (not even rooted) shows several of the same symptoms as those mentioned here. I've found that simply booting with VolUp+m into the recovery menu (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3-hacks/176351-how-access-recovery.html#post1782806) and then clearing her cache (no jokes, please) works wonders for hers.

Oh, by the way: I had dug real deep into the world of Go...launcher, locker, widgets. I was annoyed on day 1 by all the typos and updates every 15 minutes, but I ultimately came to suspect their intrusive and very buggy software was a major cause of my awful battery life and occasional heat-ups. I'd really recommend staying as close to naked as you can!

-Matt

JoeHockey

Reaction score
So far the "call now connect later" issue is gone from my phone. I'm also getting much improved battery life but I can't say if that is from wiping it completely clean or the fact that I have a bunch of apps I have not reinstalled. I would guess it's probably a combination of the two.

JoeHockey

Reaction score
So to update my droid 3 saga...about 2 months after fully wiping the phone, sbf'ing back to stock etc my phone is back to being terribly slow. No idea what is causing it at this point, I have tried to be very careful about what apps I reloaded onto the phone but still have a mystery slowdown. SMSPro was the last thing I installed before it ground to a halt. Uninstalled that but it has not helped much.

Carol_in_FL

Reaction score
My Droid 3 / Liberty ROM lags sometimes.. I use this "Device Info" program from the company that makes AirDroid. It has a RELEASE MEMORY button that seems to clear up things like the Place Call Lag.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.device

It's a lot faster than rebooting!
Thanks for the tip. I've also been having most of these problems on my D3 (not rooted) and tried using a program called "Clean Master" which does help some, but I just downloaded "Device Info" to see if that helps more -- especially with the Call lag problem. I also think using the stock program called "Data Saver" during the day and only turning it off at night -- then put it on the WIFI when it's on a charger will really help with battery life. Data Saver prevents any updates from downloading.

arjunligga

Reaction score
hey all,

i use advance task killer i have used many apps but this one is the best and u don't have to reboot the phone every time it lags.. if your device get slow open a big application or game and close it after some time and click on task killer it will improvise the phone so u don't have to reboot every time.....

OP
L

landdesigner

Reaction score
HELP!!!! Well, I have done all the simple things to my little Droid. However, it continued to crash a lot in the last week. Now it is sitting on my desk cycling the boot. Just repeating "Droid" all the time. UHG!!! I have no idea WTH happened, it was sitting on my desk, and when I came back it was happening. The CPU is quite warm, but not as hot as it has been in the past.

If there is a program I can install from computer, I would need detailed instructions on how to do it.

Carol_in_FL

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I've also been having most of these problems on my D3 (not rooted) and tried using a program called "Clean Master" which does help some, but I just downloaded "Device Info" to see if that helps more -- especially with the Call lag problem. I also think using the stock program called "Data Saver" during the day and only turning it off at night -- then put it on the WIFI when it's on a charger will really help with battery life. Data Saver prevents any updates from downloading.
I've discovered a VERY IMPORTANT THING with Clean Master. If you go into Settings you can set it to "Auto-Clean" your cache. This seemed to help a lot with the lag problem. Also, you should move every app you can from the phone memory to the SD card and get rid of any old apps you're not using. Good luck!