Why does the Droid 3 suck?

OP
B

Bdog

Reaction score
The turning GPS off and on rarely works. We got my girlfriend's to work after waiting until we were almost where we needed to find our location, despite the little blue thing being spot on the entire ride it was unable to find us.

I'll never use Handcent. I wish I could find the old original Android Messaging app my OG Droid had. Never a problem with that app.

Done all the call quality things the first day I got it. I haven't installed any unnecessary applications. If I could uninstall all this bloatware crap, I would. Only reason I haven't rooted and gotten rid of everything is because I lack the know-how on that end. My brother, whom I no longer live in the same state with, rooted my first, and did a piss poor job teaching me how to do it myself.

In the meantime, got any good alternatives to Google and Motorola apps?

Reaction score
Just look it up.theres plenty of write ups here and on other sites like rootzwiki. Are you on 5.6.890? If not update to it. Then look for the d3 oneclick and run it. Let me get you a link... [ROOT/UNROOT] Droid 3 root instructions (One Click added for Windows/ Linux/ OSX)
Theres a good starting point. After root, you have plenty of options. You could run debloat scripts, install titanium back up, flash roms, mods.... just google it up. Look on here, rootzwiki and xda. Good luck

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Did you clear the system cache partition and update Maps? That could resolve GPS issues. Then toggling GPS on/off might work too.

There are other apps besides Handcent. I hate texting though.

Update PRLs monthly for phone quality.

You might be a factory reset candidate.

tonydelite

Reaction score
Make sure you have all location services enabled. I remember when I first got my phone, one of them was disabled. I turned it on right away and i've never had any GPS issues. And I use GPS all the time.

LT*

Reaction score
I had the exact opposite experience with the GPS categories. I leave the first two checked, and un-check the VZW location services box, and all is well with my GPS.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I had the exact opposite experience with the GPS categories. I leave the first two checked, and un-check the VZW location services box, and all is well with my GPS.

Exactly, no way am I using VZW location services.

Lizx3

Reaction score
I think you got bad phones. My D3 is absolutely amazing and I could not be happier with it..However, my dad got the same phone on the same dad and his was crap. It was doing so many weird things it really wasn't even useable. I rooted it and flashed a camera mod but didn't flash any ROMs, themes etc. Then yesterday the phone got really, really hot and just died. He thinks the CPU failed. It also destroyed his battery.
So really I think there is just a greater ratio of "bad" D3's out there.

Jocojr

Reaction score
I have to agree with the bad phones thought. I have had zero problems and have been pleased with with everything except the camera. I haven't rooted yet because I have been pleased with it as is and even more so after the recent update. The rooting bug will hit me eventually I'm sure:biggrin::biggrin:.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Regarding GPS problems, this is interesting: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3/174535-gps-not-searching-signal.html#post1766404
If you're rooted you can change the server setting and it will apparently make GPS function like a champ. Perhaps in some areas, this mod is really needed.

Also, remember that GPS isn't instantaneous and functions best in an open area. It can take several minutes for GPS to triangulate so patience is required. Obstructions will make GPS take longer, lose position, or not work at all.

Hvarsov

Reaction score
After the update my phone is flawless.....sound is better on calls and the camera really takes great pictures....I am NOT rooted and have no intention of rooting...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The stock messaging app is resizing pics because it can't send an 8MP picture via text. Too many MB. You can change this by using another messaging app, and changing the allowed size of the sent attachments. Although there are no guarantees it will work across carriers.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
The stock messaging app is resizing pics because it can't send an 8MP picture via text. Too many MB. You can change this by using another messaging app, and changing the allowed size of the sent attachments. Although there are no guarantees it will work across carriers.

Hey, speaking of the Droid 3 sucking, has anyone noticed that the stock Camera does not allow you to change the megapixels setting?????????????????????????????

Laureanne

Reaction score
I am on to my 2nd Droid 3 because my first could not connect to WIFI. My GPS is great. It does drop calls at times but the topography where I live makes any phone call difficult. The phone takes nice pictures, quickly. I think you got 2 duds.
Laure

Erikbal

Reaction score
I have none of those issues with my phone and it's not rooted or anything. I am very happy with this phone

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums