The crippling (TMO, USA) begins

thc1967

Reaction score
Yesterday T-Mo pushed an update to my Note 7 that clearly states it will limit the battery to 60% charge. I've been able to delay it thus far, but I suspect it will eventually force itself onto my phone.

For the moment, I can live with this. I rarely use more than 30% of the battery in any given day.

Still, it's becoming very clear that I need to understand my options and exercise one of them before too long. I'm considering a couple of options with the goal being getting into the Note 8, whenever it becomes available, preferably as a pre-order, with as little expense as possible.

1) Turn in my Note 7. Get the wife an iPhone 7+ (she has been wanting one). Use her Note 3 until the Note 8 or equivalent goes to pre-order. I had a Note 3 before this Note 7 and I can tolerate it. I think this requires waiting until a reasonable iPhone 7+ is available in-store, so it could be the end of November before I can do this.

2) Trade my Note 7 for an S7 Edge. Samsung offers an extra $100 credit when I do this and I use T-Mo's protection plan so in theory I should be pretty close to owing $0 if I want to trade in by the time the Note 8 becomes available. I still get the wife the iPhone 7+ when it becomes available. This is still a new "flagship" phone, with the only drawback being the lack of stylus and note-taking, which I use frequently.

I welcome your thoughts on my dilemma...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well since you are obviously not sold on what is out there and you rather wait on the 8 why not make the wife happy. Get her the 7+ with a nice case and boom Merry Christmas. Then next year hopefully you can have a Merry Christmas with the 8.

ngt

Reaction score
I've got an update waiting as well, not doing it. I just want a v20, but best buy doesn't have any for Verizon. So I'm stuck.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I've got an update waiting as well, not doing it. I just want a v20, but best buy doesn't have any for Verizon. So I'm stuck.

You're on Verizon and got the update?

Samsung Note 7.5
Yeah, let us know @ngt if you're on Verizon and received the update notice.
Thanks!

S5 tap'n

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Same here.... SO is downloading app now to block it.
...and the dance continues....

S5 tap'n

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
I am going to let it go, the losers have won... Looks like a sign of crap to come... Be wise...

Sent from my New Note 7

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I...meant to do it. Getting started as we speak. As CR6 said, I got the VZW update notice earlier today.

~notarized 7 tap'n
I'm not positive you can block it afterwards. Keep us updated let me know if you hit any snags.

Samsung Note 7.5

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Box came today along with the 60% downdate...
Note is wiped, ready to box up...

Sent by my new S7-Edge

Edit: Boxed and going out tomorrow.

Last edited: