Switching from iPhone 4 to Droid X, how and when to pre-order

dinosaur1

Reaction score
I have up until 7/24 to return my iPhone 4 w/ the lousy reception issues. I see best buy doesn't guarantee a phone if you pre-order with them. I also see that Verizon isn't pre-ordering. How should I approach this? They may not have them available until after 7/24, then I would be outta luck.

dr01dm0dd3r

Reaction score
I would go down to the verizon store and talk to a customer representative, and they should be able to get you all set up. Do u have a contract with verizon yet, also, when u go down, ask them about discounts you can get, like I work at mcdonalds and I get 18 % off my bill every month, just a tip....

EgooEspada

Reaction score
I have a feeling you'll be able to get one. Motorola isn't like HTC, they have their stuff together when it comes to inventory.
Basically though, you can pre-order it and you do have priority over walk-ins. Though with Best Buy, I believe they call the day before and set up an appointment with you to pick it up. You can take your chances with BB, and have a strong chance of getting one, or you can wait and see to get it with contract from places like Wirefly. They usually start selling it just a few days after its release and sometimes a little bit cheaper.

OP
D

dinosaur1

Reaction score
I would go down to the verizon store and talk to a customer representative, and they should be able to get you all set up. Do u have a contract with verizon yet, also, when u go down, ask them about discounts you can get, like I work at mcdonalds and I get 18 % off my bill every month, just a tip....

I have THE iPhone now w/ at&t

dr01dm0dd3r

Reaction score
They will cancel ur old contrac , transfer iur contacts, and take care of the cancelation fee, as in the form of AT&T will send u the termination fee.

OP
D

dinosaur1

Reaction score
They will cancel ur old contrac , transfer iur contacts, and take care of the cancelation fee, as in the form of AT&T will send u the termination fee.
I know that part, but Verizon isn't doing pre orders are they?

EgooEspada

Reaction score
I know that part, but Verizon isn't doing pre orders are they?

Might not. Apparently they were saying Verizon was starting this week though. I wouldn't be surprise if they did, doubt they'd have no pre-orders. You can call and see whats the deal with that..

dr01dm0dd3r

Reaction score
I know for a fact that best buy is taking preorders, but I'm not completely sure that verizon is taking preorders yet, but u can wait on july 14th at like 12pm at nite and wait for the store to open. I just googled if verizon is taking preorders but I didn't find anything conclusive, ur best bet wood be to talk to a customer rep

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3
I have a feeling you'll be able to get one. Motorola isn't like HTC, they have their stuff together when it comes to inventory.
Basically though, you can pre-order it and you do have priority over walk-ins. Though with Best Buy, I believe they call the day before and set up an appointment with you to pick it up. You can take your chances with BB, and have a strong chance of getting one, or you can wait and see to get it with contract from places like Wirefly. They usually start selling it just a few days after its release and sometimes a little bit cheaper.

Samsung is at fault for the Incredible debacle, not HTC. Samsung isn't making enough screens for everyone. Just thought I'd mention it, though I don't know why on this HTC-hating forum, lol.

jimbo1mcm

Reaction score
Store Manager

I would find and talk to the Store Manager at Verizon, not a sales rep, and tell him that you want to switch and let him know you are kind of in a box, re: time. I am sure he will take care of you. He probably can't promise anything, but if you are there on 15 July, real early, I bet you get one. Good luck. Can you hear me now?

spyderz

Reaction score
Verizon

Honestly i'd stick with best buy. I went to the verizon store in my town(sprinfield, mo) and there were 5 guys/employees just standing there not helping me. When i walked over to talk with them. They were clueless and very vague on their responses to my questions. When i asked about the new phone coming in July, they said, "were getting lots of new phones" and didn't elaborate on which ones. I stood there for about 10 seconds looking at them, and then just walked away as they continued to bs with each other. Totally useless ppl.

But im in the same boat, on the month trial with ATT. Got the new iphone 4. Gonna return it and get a droid. Reception problems, calls dropped, even with covers. Bad reception, one of our 3 phones, turned off once and wouldnt come back on for like an hour. Had an apple on the screen with a line thru it. Finally came back on. Warranty on phone sucks, best buy offers a better one, for a little more money. but still doesnt cover lost or water dmg.
Lucky me tho, we still have Verizon phones activated. No contract. So likely well pay the restocking fee for ATT, stay with our slide phones for a week or 2 and then get under contract with the new droids.

EgooEspada

Reaction score

Samsung is at fault for the Incredible debacle, not HTC. Samsung isn't making enough screens for everyone. Just thought I'd mention it, though I don't know why on this HTC-hating forum, lol.

By no means do I hate on HTC, especially their Android devices. I am aware that Samsung cannot supply enough AMOLED screens for the Incredible due to the large demands. But besides the DI, they have a record of low inventory. (i.e. HTC EVO 4G & HTC HD2) I'm sure there are others too, which is why I pointed that out, no hate here. :)

Ansextra

Reaction score
I'm switching from an iPhone 3G to a Droid X. Was just in the Verizon store earlier today and they said they're opening at 10AM like usual on the 15th.
I just hope they have plenty of Droid X's. :icon_eek:

06LTNox

Reaction score
Verizon is kind of doing pre-orders.

You can not pre-order online, but we called in today to upgrade three of our four lines and the rep on the phone scheduled a call back on the 14th to process a pre-order for the X for us. Hope that going that route will guarantee that we will be getting one release day and not having to wait a week.

Also, she said that she hasn't even seen one herself. She was surprised when we told her that a store at the next town over had one and let us play with it for a while. I can't wait.