[ROM] The CM7 Gingerbread ROM (CM4D2-GB) is now ready for prime time!

ILikeWaffles

Reaction score
So I've been running the 139 nightly on froyo kernel for months now. No problems whatsoever other than the lack of keyboard spellcheck.

So I'm getting bored and might be looking for something new. Is the GB CM7 worth transitioning to?

missionman

Reaction score
sbf if you haven't already (Step 1 in the directions in the OP, there are also directions in my signature.) If you have already sbf'd, try re-downloading the zip file. Make sure it downloaded correctly. I'll give you the md5 sum of the file, you can check that to see if it downloaded correctly.

MD5: AD1FA427217B87C6F4F3388B6A875178

Thank you so much for your help Havens! Remember im a noob, I dont know what SBFing means. If you could give a short tutorial or a link for doing this? I understand it means revert back to stock but how to do it is the question. Im sure all the future noobs will greatly appreciate it too. If not I still appreciate your help! Thanks Bud! :)

havens1515

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help Havens! Remember im a noob, I dont know what SBFing means. If you could give a short tutorial or a link for doing this? I understand it means revert back to stock but how to do it is the question. Im sure all the future noobs will greatly appreciate it too. If not I still appreciate your help! Thanks Bud! :)

there are tutorials and links in my signature (look down)

You will need "Droid 2 sbf Instructions" and "RSDLite 5.5". There seems to be a newer RSDLite (5.6) but I personally haven't used anything newer than 5.5. I know that 5.5 works well with this phone on both Windows XP and Windows 7, so I recommend using 5.5 for now until you know what you're doing.

I understand being a noob. I had no idea what I was doing the first time I had to sbf either. I spent 4 hours in here having someone talk me through it step-by-step, so keep coming back if you need more info. I'm leaving work soon, and will be at practice most of the night, so if you post again tonight I probably won't be able to respond until tomorrow morning. Good luck!

missionman

Reaction score
there are tutorials and links in my signature (look down)

You will need "Droid 2 sbf Instructions" and "RSDLite 5.5". There seems to be a newer RSDLite (5.6) but I personally haven't used anything newer than 5.5. I know that 5.5 works well with this phone on both Windows XP and Windows 7, so I recommend using 5.5 for now until you know what you're doing.

I understand being a noob. I had no idea what I was doing the first time I had to sbf either. I spent 4 hours in here having someone talk me through it step-by-step, so keep coming back if you need more info. I'm leaving work soon, and will be at practice most of the night, so if you post again tonight I probably won't be able to respond until tomorrow morning. Good luck!

Awesome! It worked perfect! flashed it back to the Stock GB ROM i downloaded from your link and it worked with RSDlite 5.5 the first try, Much Thanks!! Now that im on this Stock ROM can i now follow the directions on this threads first post for CM7 or do i need to install a nightly build first? Im a bit confused though..you said im stuck with the Froyo ROMs. Does that not apply now if i flashed it to GB stock? sorry again for the dumb questions. I know some obvious answers lay around this thread but some of it i dont understand like the Froyo and GB options i have or dont have.

my goal was to get the Cyanogenmod ROM on my Droid 2, so hopefully this brought me closer to that goal..
I want to get this bloatware and Verizon garbage off my phone (as much as possible) and hopefully remove the stock apps too. Ive heard the Cyanogenmod Roms are the best with some of the mods applied. This thread is a lot better than other threads where kids completely ignore all droid noobs. better dealing with adults.

Thanks for the patience and generous support!!

havens1515

Reaction score
Awesome! It worked perfect! flashed it back to the Stock GB ROM i downloaded from your link and it worked with RSDlite 5.5 the first try, Much Thanks!! Now that im on this Stock ROM can i now follow the directions on this threads first post for CM7 or do i need to install a nightly build first? Im a bit confused though..you said im stuck with the Froyo ROMs. Does that not apply now if i flashed it to GB stock? sorry again for the dumb questions. I know some obvious answers lay around this thread but some of it i dont understand like the Froyo and GB options i have or dont have.

my goal was to get the Cyanogenmod ROM on my Droid 2, so hopefully this brought me closer to that goal..
I want to get this bloatware and Verizon garbage off my phone (as much as possible) and hopefully remove the stock apps too. Ive heard the Cyanogenmod Roms are the best with some of the mods applied. This thread is a lot better than other threads where kids completely ignore all droid noobs. better dealing with adults.

Thanks for the patience and generous support!!

You are NOT stuck with Froyo ROMs.

first off, did you only sbf? Cuz if so, you are on stock Froyo right now, not stock GB. You need to follow step 2 and 3 in the first post of the thread in order to get GB, then continue through those directions.

missionman

Reaction score
You are NOT stuck with Froyo ROMs.

first off, did you only sbf? Cuz if so, you are on stock Froyo right now, not stock GB. You need to follow step 2 and 3 in the first post of the thread in order to get GB, then continue through those directions.

Yes i only did the SBF update. it worked 100% its now back to the stock ROM.

however, i placed the "update.zip" in my sd card's root and did the stock recovery mode (power + x) (then hit the magnifying glass) and when i tried to update it it ran but it failed saying this below:

"E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
verifying update package...
E:Failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted."

Does my phone need to be rooted?

UPDATE: ugh, my Son just updated OTA via WiFi while i was out and now its updated to Android 2.3.3, build number 4.5.1_57_DR2-31, Kernel Version 2.6.32.9-gca08d89, system version 4.5.601.A955.Verizon.en.US, ERI version 5, PRL version 58006 --- the Motorola bat wings logo is red now.

this is obviously not the OTA update on this thread.. im pretty frustrated. any idea on what i should do? been trying to figure this out all night.

Last edited:

havens1515

Reaction score
Yes i only did the SBF update. it worked 100% its now back to the stock ROM.

however, i placed the "update.zip" in my sd card's root and did the stock recovery mode (power + x) (then hit the magnifying glass) and when i tried to update it it ran but it failed saying this below:

"E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
verifying update package...
E:Failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted."

Does my phone need to be rooted?

UPDATE: ugh, my Son just updated OTA via WiFi while i was out and now its updated to Android 2.3.3, build number 4.5.1_57_DR2-31, Kernel Version 2.6.32.9-gca08d89, system version 4.5.601.A955.Verizon.en.US, ERI version 5, PRL version 58006 --- the Motorola bat wings logo is red now.

this is obviously not the OTA update on this thread.. im pretty frustrated. any idea on what i should do? been trying to figure this out all night.

That IS the OTA! You are on the right track. Now you need to root, and install CM.

missionman

Reaction score
That IS the OTA! You are on the right track. Now you need to root, and install CM.

Oh thank God! im in luck then...only problem is that i cant root my phone now. super user icon is in my apps but when i SU in android terminal it says "permission denied" and shows im not rooted. ive tried rooting with the Motorola One Click Root, Gingerbreak 1.2 and even DoRoot 2.1.4...none are working. i have it debugged and set for PC mode. ive read it should be in different modes on different forums for this step though..

kinda stuck at this point. i have Droid 2 bootstraper installed too (paid version) and super user isnt granting permissions. im wondering if root needs to be done in a different way with this newest OTA flash or with different MOTO drivers or root program? im only inches away from CM :mad: :mad: :mad:

missionman

Reaction score
The moto one-click root should work with this OTA. Instructions (and downloads, including compatible drivers) can be found here:
How to: Root the DROID2, DROIDX2, DROIDX, and DROID3 Running Gingerbread – Droid Life

You need a PC and a USB cable for the Moto one-click root. It should reboot 3 times in the process. You won't be able to use bootstrap until you successfully root.

yes im on a PC and using a USB cable. i only used Gingerbreak V1.2 on my device as a last resort --

so far i tried uninstalling my moto drivers, rebooting, reinstalling moto drivers, rebooting, my PC installed drivers for mass storage and PC mode on my device, rebooted again (motohelper isnt running anymore, hmmm) and now im going to try to root again. my only question is that the link you gave me for rooting says the phone needs to be in "Charge Only mode"...??
how can it root in charge mode? ive tried it in PC mode before and charge mode never worked for anything..

i did the 3 step root already though previously before your link you gave and it rebooted during the steps and said it was successful, but when i checked i was not rooted at all.
i have only an icon of superuser but its the same icon thats been there even since my reflash of the OTA GB from verizon (WiFi).. i was rooted during my OTA flash. hope that didnt break my phone

UPDATE: 'Charge Only mode' doesn't seem to work one bit. it just says searching for phone....(hangs). 'PC mode' is the only way the one-clickRoot detects my Droid. The thread instructions also doesn't say have usb debugging mode on so i have that on.
But even though it detects it, its rooting it and the root ends up not working. it says its successful every time and its clearly not. am i missing something here? (see pic)
View attachment 46132 i am verifying my phone is not rooted by opening up terminal, SU gives no permission, open Droid 2 bootstrapper and it doesnt work and superuser doesn't grant permission to any rooted apps...my Droid is being a Druid :icon_ devil: even Droid Overclock gives me a Root Required! message and forces me to exit..

UPDATE 2: turns out i need to remove old superuser and busybox from my phone which remained on my phone after the Stock ROM and OTA GB 2.3.3 flashes.
it says from recovery, Wipe Data, Wipe Cache, Wipe Dalvik...but only options in stock recovery is factory reset and wipe cache. where is the Wipe Dalvik, and will that erase superuser and busy box?
one more thing..from the phone itself i did a factory reset and erased my sdcard a few posts back when i couldn't get it to root.

UPDATE 3: SOLVED!!!!!! i followed these directions for Windows 7 opening a CMD window where i extracted Petes One Click (Petes Motorola Root Tools) folder and i removed the old supersuer and busybox through command prompt aimed temp modding the adb.exe's exploit when running on your Android 2:
LINK:
http://www.psouza4.com/Bionic/

"Your phone may need to be in either charging mode or PC mode or you may need to toggle it a number of times for the device to recognized correctly.

If you are trying to root from the OTA Gingerbread update and you were previously rooted, you will probably experience problems with this root method because of the pre-existence of busybox and superuser.apk. For that reason, you may need to attempt both the script method (for Windows XP users) and program executable method (Windows Vista/7 users). If you are still having problems, please follow these instructions:

1. Open a Command Prompt in the folder where you extracted the one-click root package (see instructions for rooting). If you are using Windows 7, you can just use Shift+Right-Click on the folder you extracted the package and choose to "Open a command prompt here". For other operating systems or versions of Windows, you may require some DOS experience or need to Google how to change directories.
  2. In the command prompt, type the following command: adb shell
  3. If you receive any kind of error, then you may not be in the folder where you extracted ADB.exe or you may need to reboot your computer, your phone, or check the connection. You should receive an ADB prompt ending with either a # or a $.
  4. If the line ends with a $, then run the one-click exploit for Windows XP (even if you have Windows Vista or 7) and only complete step 1.
  5. When you have adb shell ending with a #, type the following commands:
  6. mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/system /system
  7. rm /system/bin/su
  8. rm /system/xbin/su
  9. Ignore any messages that warn you about the file not being found/missing. We're removing old copies of su/superuser which are causing this one-click root method to fail.
  10. Additionally, during the parts of the one-click root that reboot your phone, your phone will most likely reboot into recovery instead of into the standard Android lock screen. If this is the case, simply unplug the cable and reboot the phone manually. When you are finished rebooting, plug the phone back in again. Some people have had to reboot their PC too.
  11. Finally, some users have mentioned that the root isn't taking affect right away for all apps. Eventually, after several reboots, the phone finally takes root. We're not sure why this is (I don't have a Droid X -- I'm just re-posting this information for brevity). (credit: KevlarGibs)"

Last edited:

havens1515

Reaction score
See, you went wrong when you rooted after the sbf. You added a step that wasn't there. If you add steps, things sometimes get broken. Sounds like you're rooted now though, so all you need to do now is download the CM zip, bootstrap, and flash the zip in the recovery console.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums