[ROM] The CM7 Gingerbread ROM (CM4D2-GB) is now ready for prime time!

Gumdrop

Reaction score
Really? Hit alt twice, you have alt-lock. Biggest non-issue thing I've ever seen. CM is so worth having to hit a button twice.

There's 4 pretty big commits that are awaiting approval that will make a HUGE difference for the D2. Once those are approved, it should be EXTREMELY close to being completely bug free.
Gerrit Code Review

Yeah I know lol I've just been using alt lock forever and would take time to get used to it :happy3:

lizard

Reaction score
I'm using 10/6/2011. I think that is last official version from developer. My alt lock works fine, and as far as I know, so does everything else.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Gumdrop

Reaction score
I'm using 10/6/2011. I think that is last official version from developer. My alt lock works fine, and as far as I know, so does everything else.

really? you're talking about Alt lock not just the Alt button right?

lizard

Reaction score
Alt button pressed once let's me select one alt(blue) key. A double tap locks the alt function on. I tried flashing nightly #139 so I could install PDroid without making my own patch. It wouldn't work with v19 of jakebites so I went back to 10/6. 139,v19, and PDroid just didn't play well together. I can't even remember what the problems were that everyone was having with this rev.

Gumdrop

Reaction score
Alt button pressed once let's me select one alt(blue) key. A double tap locks the alt function on. I tried flashing nightly #139 so I could install PDroid without making my own patch. It wouldn't work with v19 of jakebites so I went back to 10/6. 139,v19, and PDroid just didn't play well together. I can't even remember what the problems were that everyone was having with this rev.

I'm talking about the Physical ALT+LOCK key, does that work?

lizard

Reaction score
No, that does not work. I always just hit the alt twice tob lock it.

missionman

Reaction score
Noob here with newb question...droid 2...

ok im new to droids. i have a Motorola Droid 2 [using it without cell service, dont want any]

So far I used 'D2 bootstrap' to flash "gingerbread 2.3.3" on it since WiFi updates failed every time (even after un-rooting + removing superuser on android 2.2).
Everything worked fine, BUT, i read i have to install a nightly build next, then finally install the CM7 Gingerbread ROM from Cyanogenmod...? Is this correct?

So I ask is this ROM discussed here for the Droid 2? Nowhere am i seeing Droid 2 support for these ROMs. its always "Droid 2 Globals" i see builds for. Cyanogenmod's website doesnt have any stable releases for droid 2 either from what i see plus their website is down right now. So what is this here? im confused and i just want to use my droid without cell service. im using it as a entertainment device (no bloatware etc)

Will this CM7 Gingerbread (CM4D2-GB) flash on my droid 2?

thanks guys! and sorry in advance for not reading the millions of posts on here before asking...didnt feel like reading all night

Last edited:

lizard

Reaction score
My understanding is that you have to be on the OTA (over the air) Gingerbread update. If you flashed Gingerbread you probably are not going to get CM7 onto the phone. I SBF'd back to Froyo, took the Gingerbread OTA update, rooted, downloaded Droid 2 bootstrapper and Rom Manager. Flashed CM7. You better do more reading before you try flashing if your not sure. You should have everything to sbf, in case you get stuck in a bootloop. Wipe data/clear cache before flashing, and once you have CM7 on the phone, DO NOT bootstrap recovery. You can reboot into recovery, just don't bootstrap recovery or you'll get stuck in a bootloop, and have to start over with sbf.

havens1515

Reaction score
ok im new to droids. i have a Motorola Droid 2 [using it without cell service, dont want any]

So far I used 'D2 bootstrap' to flash "gingerbread 2.3.3" on it since WiFi updates failed every time (even after un-rooting + removing superuser on android 2.2).
Everything worked fine, BUT, i read i have to install a nightly build next, then finally install the CM7 Gingerbread ROM from Cyanogenmod...? Is this correct?

So I ask is this ROM discussed here for the Droid 2? Nowhere am i seeing Droid 2 support for these ROMs. its always "Droid 2 Globals" i see builds for. Cyanogenmod's website doesnt have any stable releases for droid 2 either from what i see plus their website is down right now. So what is this here? im confused and i just want to use my droid without cell service. im using it as a entertainment device (no bloatware etc)

Will this CM7 Gingerbread (CM4D2-GB) flash on my droid 2?

thanks guys! and sorry in advance for not reading the millions of posts on here before asking...didnt feel like reading all night

Since it sounds like you are on the OTA GB, you CAN NOT use the builds from the CM website. Those are based on the Froyo kernel, and will not work. You will end up in a bootloop, and you will need to sbf (FULL factory reset)

What you want is to use the builds in ROM Toolbox (NOT ROM Manager) which is a free app, or you can sometimes get newer builds from this thread:
[DEV_THREAD]Droid 2 CM7 with Gingerbread Kernel - RootzWiki

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask here or in the other thread.

d4dEf@c@

Reaction score

I'm getting ready to sound like one of "those" guys but seriously guy.... I understand there are 3500 (not millions) of posts in this thread, but did you even read the first one? The answer to your problem and the instructions are there. I really hope you got it sorted out, Havens is wealth of useful information. Kinda starting to understand why those people on er at XDA can get so sassy; not excusing, just understanding.

Tapatalked from an MIUI'd D2

havens1515

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to sound like one of "those" guys but seriously guy.... I understand there are 3500 (not millions) of posts in this thread, but did you even read the first one? The answer to your problem and the instructions are there. I really hope you got it sorted out, Havens is wealth of useful information. Kinda starting to understand why those people on er at XDA can get so sassy; not excusing, just understanding.

Tapatalked from an MIUI'd D2

I try to be patient with n00bs (we were all n00bs at one point) but I do get frustrated and lose that patience sometimes too. Usually when I get to that point I just don't reply. I'd rather say nothing than end up sounding like a dick. Not that I'm saying you sounded like a dick, but some people do come off that way at times.

There IS a TON of information in the original post of this thread. I hadn't looked at the OP in a while until just now. They added a bunch of useful info in there, included most of what I usually tell people about this ROM.

missionman

Reaction score
My understanding is that you have to be on the OTA (over the air) Gingerbread update.

Lizard, my droid 2 will not update no matter what OTA. It fails every time over WiFi. Its not activated with Verizon nor is it going to be. I did remember to clear the cache before flashing but I had to flash it due to the OTA update not working. Any suggestions?

havens1515

Reaction score
Lizard, my droid 2 will not update no matter what OTA. It fails every time over WiFi. Its not activated with Verizon nor is it going to be. I did remember to clear the cache before flashing but I had to flash it due to the OTA update not working. Any suggestions?

There are directions in the OP to flash the OTA update instead of receiving it over-the-air, is that what you did? Just because you flashed it doesn't mean it's not the OTA update.

From the OP:
"2. Download the GB OTA update, place it in the root of your SD card, and rename it to "update.zip". Download this file: Blur_Version.2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US.zip.

3. Install using the Update.zip option in stock recovery. Boot into stock recovery by holding the X key when you press the power button, when the triangle with the "!" in it appears, press the Search button on your keyboard (magnifying glass) to enter the stock Recovery menu. "