text messaging not working at all

mark5hs

Reaction score
So you know the glitch where it deletes all your texts? Its happened to me a few times and I usually restore with SMS backup +. It happened last night, so I told it to restore and then went to sleep. When I woke up, successfully restored, so I went to messaging. Black screen, frozen, won't load at all. I turn the phone off and on and I can get to the screen with all the threads but when I select one, it freezes again. I tried installing Handcent and using that, no avail. Id been having problems with texting before, like lagging and getting messages twice. Only thing I can think of is that I have a lot of texts, around 12,000. I can go into settings and clear data but I kinda don't want to do that since I like having them all there. Any suggestions? Thanks!
First gen moto droid, 2.2

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you're using a SMS backup app, it puts your texts as xml files on your SD card. So wiping data of the messaging app wouldn't delete them.

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
M

mark5hs

Reaction score
I'm using the one that backs it up to Gmail. If I clear data through settings and then try restoring them again, it'll be the same as before, right?