My Droid deleted all my text messages....BY ITSELF!!

barbarian624

Reaction score
Yeah you read that topic right. I just joined this forum today in an attempt to figure this out.

I woke up today (the 29th) sent a couple of text messages, received a couple, put the phone down, went to brush my fangs, came back, picked up the phone to read a text that just came in.....all the text messages I had on the phone were gone. All of them. Gone-diddley-on. :mad:!!!

Just to make note:
1. I went to the settings and there was no activation of any setting dealing with automatic deletions of texts for any reason.
2. An application called HandscentSMS (sp?) was downloaded onto my phone from a Verizon worker. This was done because for whatever reason I was (and still am) unable to send mass text messages (Why is that? That's another thread). I have since uninstalled the Handscent app.

So, with a smartphone acting too dang smart and doing things on it's own like deleting all my text messages with important info, pictures, etc. I came on here to ask the question.....

Does anyone have any insight as to why my Droid would delete my text messages all by itself? AND is there a precedence for this?

(Ok that was two questions).

Thank you.
Barbarian 624

Moondonkey

Reaction score
Barbarian,

You are not the first, this has happened to me and many others. It is related to Handcent, but I am not sure if a fix has been found. The last time it happened to me was on 3/4, so I am hoping it was related to an update or something......

There are many threads on this so if you search around you might find a fix.

As far as your multiple text that is an easy one.
Simply open Handcent, the press the menu/options button( the 4 horizontal line button) then select batch mode. You should then see your contacts with checkboxes next to them, simply select the ones you want.

Welcome to the forum, look around there is lots of info, the Droid is a superb phone once you learn it and get it set up to your liking.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
also try SMSbackup; it uses your gmail account to back up your texts. its on the market.

OP
B

barbarian624

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate that. As soon as I realized my text messages were gone I immediately uninstalled handscent thinking that was the only culprit.
Is there a way to send a group text message with the Droid (without using an app like handscent)?

And please if anyone else has suggestions to go along with these good suggestions (I will also look into smsbackup, thanks) please post them here.

I will check out the forum for this subject matter.

P.E.A.C.E.

Moondonkey

Reaction score
unless something has changed, there is no way to send batch sms from the stock app.

I have read good things about ChompSMS on this site, I have never used it myself, but I have not heard about people losing their text with it.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
save MMS is another backup app - saves them to the sd card

virtuox

Reaction score
This just happened to me today and i dont even have handcent installed at all, all of my text's are gone.

Chaos2651

Reaction score
I do not believe this is exclusively a Handcent issue. I've never even heard of Handcent until I started Googling for solutions to this text deleting problem.

My droid has deleted all of my threads twice in the past week, once before the new update and once after. Oddly, this is the first time(s) this has ever happened to me, and I've had the phone since November. So far, from my Googling, I haven't found a solution. It may simply be a bug at this point.

Of course, I sure would like there to be a solution pretty darn quick.

Chaos2651

Reaction score
I don't have a task killer. In fact, I use very few apps in general.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Guess I wont ever be getting Handcent... Don't recall my Droid ever doing this. Perhaps you've been taunting and/or mocking the Droid and have displeased it, thus activating the factory stealth installed com.google.android.punishment.apk.

Chaos2651

Reaction score
It happened to me again today, this time it had an error message saying that the application had to force close.

jbrnic

Reaction score
same here

Has happened to me twice
i have no Handset or task killers
I believe the problem is the core SMS app

geetarspaz

Reaction score
try looking in your settings there is a section for how many texts you want to show before they all get cleared. when on the message app go to settings and make sure you dont have it set to where "delete old messages after limit" is on. that should help, or stop using task killers.

sparky913

Reaction score
This happened to me also. I did have Handcent SMS and one day while trying to text it kept force closing on me and froze up the phone. I turned it off then on again and all the messages were gone. I uninstalled handcent.. and was fine for about 4 days and then it started needing force close again and yet again.. all the texts disappeared. dancedroid I love my Droid other than this problem.