My Droid deleted all my text messages....BY ITSELF!!

Bdog

Reaction score
I've had this problem once, just a few weeks ago. I don't use Handcent or task killers. I had gone into settings and set the maximum texts to 2000, and was somewhere in the 1900s with my girlfriend, not counting the various other text threads I had not yet erased, when I got a new text, and ever single other text was gone.

Before I had changed the settings, I hadn't yet hit the stock 200 max mark yet, so I do not know if it was the settings or not, but felt safe to assume it was. I always instinctively save all pictures or important messages to my SD card and forward them to my email, so I wasn't too upset about losing anything, but did find it awfully peculiar.

After reading geetarspaz's post above, I checked my Messaging settings, and delete old messages is automatically checked, so people who do not want to lose old messages should uncheck that, and will not have to worry about a cap limit either.

jbrnic

Reaction score
Happened again

Happened again this weekend.
This has taken away all my faith for this piece of equipment. What else will go wrong.

Is Google ever going to address this?

Bdog

Reaction score
jbrnic, open your messaging app, touch the menu, go to settings. The first thing on the list is a checkbock to "Delete old messages." UNCHECK that box. your messages will no longer be deleted. Problem fixed.

jbrnic

Reaction score
That is not it, the settings have no impact

Thanks UD's_BDog, but that does not solve the issue.

I have tried setting small limits, large limits and no deleting whatsoever, still same problem. All threads get deleted. Usually with a crash in the SMS software, sometimes for no reason at all.

Bdog

Reaction score
If that's the case, then something may be wrong with your Messaging app itself.

Try going into your main settings, Applications, Manage apps, menu, filter all, and go to messaging and clear data and cache. that will erase all your settings and whatnot (basically fresh msg app), so you'll have to be sure and set you limits or turn off delete old messages. If it happens again after that, you'll most likely have to address it somewhere official.

In the meantime, Droids are definitely not created equal, some rooted Droids tend to have random bugs and glitches others don't. If you're rooted, or use a custom ROM, you should probably check within their forums to see if it's a common problem, or if someone may know a solution.

I starred your Google link in hopes of helping it get more attention. Other than this, I don't have any other advice, so hope something works for you

smcd619

Reaction score
This has happened to me multiple times now with both the native app and handcent and with and without ATK installed. When it initially happened I contacted Verizon’s tech support they claimed to be unaware of this issue. Seems pretty wide spread to me. Wife has not had same issue but only does about 1/25 of the texting I do.

Each time it has happened it has been preceded by an error message and force close.

Frustrating to say the least.

Starred and commented on the issue.

sparky913

Reaction score
It's happened to me twice. Once with Handcent and once without. It is annoying. I had to force close yesterday, but thankfully it didn't erase them. Someone has to know this is happening because I make sure to report force closes. Let's hope they fix it! dancedroid

foolydooly

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you know this, so:

Droid will automatically delete your Txt message when it's filled to the quota. This quota can be changed by going to "Messaging" app and then going to Settings. 5000 seems to be maximum.

I'm not sure unchecking "Delete old messages" will make much difference, to be honest, but that could be another option.