Text message sending to wrong person

apopj

Reaction score
Recently, after I upgraded the software on my original Droid, I would attempt to answer a text message. When I would hit send, it would go to the wrong person. As an example, if my wife sent me a text, her name would be displayed at the top. I would type an answer, and hit send. The name at the top would change to my grandson, and the message would go to him. I did the usual resets, and checked for new updates, etc.... Verizon had never heard of the problem, so they sent me a new Droid. It did exactly the same thing. Back to Verizon and they sent me a new Droid X2. This worked for a few days and now it is doing the same thing, plus, once in a while when I hit the home key after unlocking the phone, it goes blank. All I can do is turn the phone off and then on to cure the blank screeen problem.
The only thing all three phones have had in common is my SIM card. I formatted it and put it back into the phone. Worked for a moment and then the same problem. Text messages going to the wrong person. Has anyone had any sort of problem like this? I searched this forum, but no response was found...

Thanks for any help, this is frustrating....

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I moved this to Droid X2 Tech Support, maybe you'll get an answer here. I understand you're having problems, but try not to start more than one post with your issues.

Reaction score
What SMS app are you using?

Also do these contacts have any of the same information in them? Android sometimes combines contacts when it shouldn't. Sounds like what is possibly going on here.

drewdown757

Reaction score
ya i would have to agree with nlinecomputers, check the contacts to make sure google didnt combine them or anything...

VABarn

Reaction score
This exact same thing happens to me. 4 times so far. HTC Thunderbolt, using default messages program. I have the active text stream to person X, up to and including the time I hit the send button. When it updates the stream, it is now looking at person Y and the text I just sent was sent to Y. X and Y have absolutely nothing in common. One is a co-worker, and the other is a friend. No affiliation with each other at all.

tobiamia

Reaction score
Sending messages to wrong people

I have the exact same problem. I went to Verizon and they did a factory reset and said it might have been a problem with some of the apps ive downloaded. Then i was careful with what i downloaded. A week later it happened again. So i took it back and they sent me a new phone... It freakin happened again today. Someone please figure this out. Its so annoying and sometimes embarrassing.

This exact same thing happens to me. 4 times so far. HTC Thunderbolt, using default messages program. I have the active text stream to person X, up to and including the time I hit the send button. When it updates the stream, it is now looking at person Y and the text I just sent was sent to Y. X and Y have absolutely nothing in common. One is a co-worker, and the other is a friend. No affiliation with each other at all.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
This was a known bug in android that was a pretty big deal last year and got fixed by google in one of the incremental froyo update. I wonder if Motorola somehow un-did the fix by accident when they updated the X2 to Gingerbread?

Android Central Community Search | Android Central haven't had this issue yet (thank god) but I used to get it when I had my Original Droid and it confused * me until I figured out what was going on. They eventually fixed it though with an update earlier this year (yes, even on the OG Droid).

Last edited by a moderator:

ryearout

Reaction score
Same thing happening to me on my thunderbolt stock msg. Should I try a diff messaging app? Or just sledge hammer this phone on Verizon's counter in a gallager fashion and demand a product that works. If one exists...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

dr01db0y

Reaction score
May 1st, Droid Charger v 2.3.6

I see there was a problem back on the Android system running version 2.2, but I have a new phone and I've had multiple sims cards etc.. I've done the usual 100 tech support steps to try and fix this problem. It's obviously in the programming some where. I receive a text from a person whose name I clearly see and could only come from them, reply and it goes to someone random in my phone book. Ultimately i deleted my phone book when I got tired of rebooting my phone after every single text.

If verizon reps read this, fix it. I'm going to spread this information so fast over the net it's not even funny. I was talking to a witness via text and i replied and it went to her perp. Who can I blame?? Verizon, Android and Samsung. Just fix the problem already. I never had this problem on any phone that wasn't 4g ready. Start there.

dr01db0y

Reaction score
This is the 2nd Charger I got from them, the first one couldn't even read the sim card for more than 24 hours, then no sim card worked in it, and they special delivery'd to me a "new one, which worked for about a week and now it's back to it's own problems. I don't download apps.