tethering

loosecannon39

Reaction score
approaching the end of my current contract and considering a change. i now have a moto droid. i'm told that straight talk will piggyback on verizon, but they (straight talk) say that they don't allow tethering to any device. is it possible to get around this as my friends do by using PDA NET, or is it a phone problem?? maybe a contract issue with verizon?? also like the new thunderbolt, so haven't decided which way to go
tks for any help

DAN:greendroid:

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
approaching the end of my current contract and considering a change. i now have a moto droid. i'm told that straight talk will piggyback on verizon, but they (straight talk) say that they don't allow tethering to any device. is it possible to get around this as my friends do by using PDA NET, or is it a phone problem?? maybe a contract issue with verizon?? also like the new thunderbolt, so haven't decided which way to go
tks for any help

DAN:greendroid:

I've heard before that Verizon blocked tethering on Android devices, I honestly don't know anything about it. What I do know is, as long as you have a unlimited data plan AND can root your phone.....you're good. I'm rooted and use the Wireless Tether for Root Users app all the time and haven't inccured any additional charges and haven't heard a word from Big Red.

wildbill86

Reaction score
I am still locked into an unlimited data plan on Verizon and was wondering, if I root will I be able to tether on the stock Rom, or do I have to unlock bootloader and install a custom Rom first?

Reaction score
There are some teather apps for root users but I didn't have much luck with them. I am on cm10 and it has its own hotspot feature. It works good. If your not willing to root, unlock and flash a ROM try pdanet+ it worked on my s3 before I rooted.

gtofan350

Reaction score
Wildbill, go into the play store and look for taiseko hotspot widget. Download, set widget on your screen, profit. Doesn't require root, uses baked in tether app, and its extremely reliable.

gtofan350

Reaction score
Foxfi does work well but you have to pay 8 bucks for it which isn't bad. The taisekio widget is free and I know it works perfect with touchwiz.

Sgt Fury

Reaction score
Just flashed the latest synergy rom this morning. I'm verizon also. Not only does it come with hot spot built into the rom, you also get permium suite features like multi-window. Loving it so far