Will wireless tether still work?

droidx38

Reaction score
I currently use my rooted Razr Maxx with free wifi tether on Verizon's network. If I decide to swap it over to straight talks network, will the free wifi still work?

roach

Reaction score
I currently use my rooted Razr Maxx with free wifi tether on Verizon's network. If I decide to swap it over to straight talks network, will the free wifi still work?
Sorry for not being able to answer that question but I am looking on how to get free wifi.
Isn't straight talk from walmart where you pay a monthly fee,the problem I am having is I am paying for 5gb a month from verzion.I am looking for free wifi,and it looks like the only way is to root your phone is that true.

OP
D

droidx38

Reaction score
Sorry for not being able to answer that question but I am looking on how to get free wifi.
Isn't straight talk from walmart where you pay a monthly fee,the problem I am having is I am paying for 5gb a month from verzion.I am looking for free wifi,and it looks like the only way is to root your phone is that true.

Using your phone as a wifi tether uses the gb you pay for per month. Luckily I'm still under verizon on the unlimited data plan still, but I want to swap my current razr maxx over to straight talk and stay on an unlimited data plan. I'm thinking it will still work, just looking for confirmation. Hopefully someone has done it, and will chime in.

OP
D

droidx38

Reaction score
The more reading I do, the more I'm finding out that it MAY work, but as soon as they catch you doing it they cut off your service. Oh well, I will just continue on with verizon I guess. Not a biggy......just costs more.

roach

Reaction score
Using your phone as a wifi tether uses the gb you pay for per month. Luckily I'm still under verizon on the unlimited data plan still, but I want to swap my current razr maxx over to straight talk and stay on an unlimited data plan. I'm thinking it will still work, just looking for confirmation. Hopefully someone has done it, and will chime in.
i have been with verizion 12 years and they told me that unlimited data plans are history,i have 5 phones on the family plan.i was grand fathered in then they changed it on me.if thats true today i'm calling them.Today

GotnFX

Reaction score
i have been with verizion 12 years and they told me that unlimited data plans are history,i have 5 phones on the family plan.i was grand fathered in then they changed it on me.if thats true today i'm calling them.Today

I'm not sure how VZ changed it on you unless you upgraded and signed a new 2 year contract. They did away with unlimited data a couple of years ago. Those that have unlimited data have been buying phones at retail and are basically paying month to month as their contract has technically ended. When VZ eliminated unlimited they grandfathered those until the end of their contract. VZ never changed unlimited data in the middle of a contract unless u called about something and they persuaded u by saying u could save money by just going to a smaller data package....which they have tried on me.

roach

Reaction score
I'm not sure how VZ changed it on you unless you upgraded and signed a new 2 year contract. They did away with unlimited data a couple of years ago. Those that have unlimited data have been buying phones at retail and are basically paying month to month as their contract has technically ended. When VZ eliminated unlimited they grandfathered those until the end of their contract. VZ never changed unlimited data in the middle of a contract unless u called about something and they persuaded u by saying u could save money by just going to a smaller data package....which they have tried on me.
==========
there slick they have 4 phones for $160.00 plus tax with the edge program she told me to get that instead of paying $300.00 plus each month. but after i hung up the phone i went back and seen that the edge program you have to pay anywhere from 23.00 to 27.00 depending on what phone you pick on top of the 160.00,so it comes to the same price when all said and done.
april 23 i am out of contract with verzion so i'll see.
thanks

OP
D

droidx38

Reaction score
Yeah, I got a special deal for a free, new Razr Maxx about a month before the unlimited package was supposed to end. The guy at verizon told me how lucky I was when I was activating it. I signed a new 2 year agreement that day knowing it was going to come to an end. I need to call and find out if the unlimited runs out at the end of the contract, or does it continue like it is as long as I dont change anything? I've never let my contract time run out so I have no idea. If it continues on like it is I'm going to keep my Maxx as long as I can. I just installed a new battery a couple months ago, and its in like new condition. This is by far my favorite phone of all I have owned over the years.

GotnFX

Reaction score
I need to call and find out if the unlimited runs out at the end of the contract, or does it continue like it is as long as I dont change anything? I've never let my contract time run out so I have no idea. If it continues on like it is I'm going to keep my Maxx as long as I can.

My contract ended 2 years ago..been paying month to month and I still have unlimited. Bought my RAZR Maxx on ebay. Its the moment u sign up for a new contract is when they say..unlimited data is no longer available. You have to sign up with a data package. I know they had a deal running to get us unlimited to a 6 gb for $30 if we signed a 2 year. Not sure if they are still doing that..but I passed on it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Just to clarify for you guys.. If you have unlimited data.. When your contract ends.. You Keep it.. Unless you sign a new contract... Just stay month to month and buy your phones off of swappa.. I would say Craigslist.. But you can't trust a lot of people on there..

You can buy phones from vzw at fill retail and still keep your unlimited data too

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can buy off of Craigslist, just meet at a Verizon store and have them check the ESN before you grand over the money.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
You can buy off of Craigslist, just meet at a Verizon store and have them check the ESN before you grand over the money.

Agreed!!.....I've done this a few times

sent from my hot Note 3

lloydsw

Reaction score
My contract ended 2 years ago..been paying month to month and I still have unlimited.

Same for me. Between my wife & I, chewing thru an average of 18GB a month. Ergo any paid plan is a non-starter. But I will say based on Verizon's past behaviour (remember when data came from MOU (minutes-of-use)), that one day they will kill the unlimited data, once we become a very small minority.

Secondlaw

Reaction score
Same for me. Between my wife & I, chewing thru an average of 18GB a month. Ergo any paid plan is a non-starter. But I will say based on Verizon's past behaviour (remember when data came from MOU (minutes-of-use)), that one day they will kill the unlimited data, once we become a very small minority.

This thread started off as a WiFi Tether question and is now a data plan thread...

The answer to your questions appears to be that if your phone isn't rooted then your only option for a tether is to use a program like FoxFi (google playstore) and use the Bluetooth mode. It works for me on my tablet for items like surfing the web and games but I can't seem to get the things I really need like Teamviewer which is essential for me to work from anywhere on a laptop.

Kinda sucks and I see no options for rooting this phone as I type this. It seems that nobody is working on this right now.

lloydsw

Reaction score

I looked into Straight Talk awhile back, beware the unlimited data is actually a 2GB limit, then you get throttled back. When that happens, may not be the best for tethering.