Tethering & TOS - anther tether thread

deubster

Reaction score
Of course, I'm aware that tethering is verboten with the Droid under VZW's TOS, but I'm also aware that plenty of people do. I've never felt the need, as I have fast cable internet at home, and almost as fast fiber at work.

Now, however, I've accepted a contract to support some systems remotely that requires that I be able to connect up in minutes anywhere, anytime. And my home connection occasionally drops (lots of construction round here). And sometimes I'm on the road.

So I have 2 questions:

1) Do any of you know (not guess or assume, but know) of people getting in trouble with VZW over tethering? Please discuss, if you have actual knowledge.

2) I vaguely recall in another tethering thread (which I can't find) that certain VPN clients would not work when tethering. Anybody remember this and care to enlighten me?

Thanks for the help.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I have 2 questions:

1) Do any of you know (not guess or assume, but know) of people getting in trouble with VZW over tethering? Please discuss, if you have actual knowledge.

2) I vaguely recall in another tethering thread (which I can't find) that certain VPN clients would not work when tethering. Anybody remember this and care to enlighten me?

Thanks for the help.

Prep your flamesuit -- plenty of people (myself included) are tired of answering these types of questions.

1) If I recall, there was one person who had extra charges on their account. That's the extent of my knowledge of VZW busting people for tethering.

2) IIRC, it's Cisco VPN that wont work, OpenVPN works fine.

OP
D

deubster

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Not afraid of getting flamed. This is a fast moving board, so those who live here a lot are likely to see lots of questions like this. By the same token, you read something that doesn't currently apply to you, try to find it tomorrow when it's relevant, and you can have real trouble finding it. Precisely because of the activity level. Use the search function for "tether" and you find hundreds of threads which may contain the word in the 34th post, and you can devote an hour of useless browsing.

Sorry for the rant. I love the info in this thread, this place frustrates me. Those who spend hours a day here may find these queries tiresome. Those who visit a few minutes every other day will be frustrated by the lack of organization here.

But thanks again for the VPN info.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
No worries, I wish the search function would be opened up to 3 letter words, so we could do searches on GPS, VPN, VZW, PS3, and the like. The same thing that make it frustrating to the casual visitor is the same thing that makes it frustrating to the bored at home nerd like me. I try not to go off on people who ask questions that I know are hard to search for....

Good luck with your VPN stuff, if you ever need to do more searches, try to use the term "OpenVPN" and "Cisco" respectively. It should help.

Brokn68

Reaction score
Search function on this board is seriously lacking in being user friendly. I searched on more than one occasion and came across the same thing you did..The word I'm looking for buried 4 pages in.
On topic I know it's against Verizion's TOS to tether, just not sure how they would detect it. I'm sure they have some spiffy tools at their disposal. I would think as long as you don't abuse it you *should* be under the radar, but if you supply internet for you apartment complex they may notice :p

mikehal38

Reaction score
My fiance works at Verizon and she has seen many people come in with huge charges for tethering. They don't play with tethering and If you get caught plan on paying for it.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Use the search function for "tether" and you find hundreds of threads which may contain the word in the 34th post, and you can devote an hour of useless browsing.

have you ever tried going advanced and using search "titles" only?

usually if that doesn't work for me i use google to get straight to the answer. i.e. droidforums, swype, apk