Tethering - Here's why I wouldn't do it...

xRITE AIDEx

Reaction score
^^^^Also on the engaget.com preview of the Droid X a "wfifi hotspot" showed up in one of the pictures(dont believe me? check yourself) So wifi tethering was fine by VZW i guess....

smokiedabong

Reaction score
How disappointing , saw a new post and I thought somebody got charged for tethering :(
I don't think VZ cares anymore about you tethering your Droid , Sprint is already giving free tethering and soon others to follow .

erikfig

Reaction score
Dude this thread is BS.. There's no way that verizon can know if you have tethering on your phone. unlimited data is unlimited data , plain and simple!

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
How disappointing , saw a new post and I thought somebody got charged for tethering :(

your bitterness towards people trying to save money is shocking.... if you don't want to tether... so be it, but why hope that people get zapped for a big bill just so you can say "haha"

I had cancelled cable inet about 2 months ago with plans of reworking it all when I got to summertime, and yesterday was that day.... I didn't want inet anymore, just cable.

120 for cable and inet
90 for just the cable I wanted
75 for the cable I wanted AND home phone (which I'll never use)

internet on Droid - free It just doesn't make sense to pay an extra 40 a month for a service I already have.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think VZ cares anymore about you tethering your Droid , Sprint is already giving free tethering and soon others to follow .

Verizon has never cared about "tethering." They care about the impact on available bandwidth that tethering encourages. Sprint may well try to score competitive points by supporting tethering, but that's a simple tradeoff in terms of customers (which Sprint desperately needs) and the impact on their network (which won't become apparent until they add enough customers using their 3G and 4G networks who are consuming large amounts of bandwidth.)

As far as "others to follow." Doubtful. Except for Sprint's desperate attempt to become profitable, the trend is in the other direction; toward tiered pricing.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
one other thing I meant to mention....

Easytether and PDANet disable https sites.... you can't log in to them.... PDANet seems to do that from the get go, Easytether disables https sites something like a month in I guess.

You then have to buy the license to unlock that feature....

or there are a couple of work arounds

1. Pay for it...... bwahahahahahahahahahah yeah, ok.... :rolleyes:
2. Goto a proxy site like ninjaproxy.com, which is an http site that allows you to then visit https sites.

This is an OK workaround. not a big fan of the advertisements, the look of the sites you then frequent.... but will work in a pinch

3. uninstall EasyTether from both your droid, and your computer then reinstall and viola' all features unlocked for another 30 days....

bbohannon

Reaction score
What I don't understand is, if it's such a big problem with verizon, then why is it a stock setting to USB tether in the new froyo 2.2?

MAD450r

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
mad450r.spaces.live.com
I dont use it cause tethering so slow compared to my cable

I just want other's to know the cable companies cannot tell what you doing behind your router, if they did try to tell they be illegally doing so.

I use to run a router behind a hub cause I use to pay for 2 ip's from COX.cable. They sent the lead tech to my house when I had issues cause noone else knew how or what I was doing. They tried to tell me I was illegally using there system so I got a lawyer involved and boom haven't heard another word since. You pay for the service into your house. as long as your not hacking your modem to break speed limits there is nothing they can do.

Same is true for Verizon trying to look into your d/ls. Yes if you bring the hardware to them and they see it rooted and wifi tether in there they can note it and then monitor your d/l's thats about the most they can do legally.

Yes they can turn you off and try to make you pay the ETF, but you can fight it. Then they will just ban you from service and not charge a penny.
In order for them to charge and get away with it they would have had to send you warning before hand, so they have legal paperwork for what they are accusing you of.

So dont be scared of them, as for using an employee account thats different because you signed to give them permission to monitor.

Last edited:

rfriel

Reaction score
Yada yada yada

This entire thread is BULL $HE!$TER, i'm stuck hip deep and can't get out, help

How much $$$ did verizon pay you to post this thread?? hope it was alot, few THOU$$$$ at least, maybe $10K??

Last edited:

osvaldo

Reaction score
it would be really stupid for them to to cancel me forever. my line alone costs over $60 a month. and we have 4 of those. they should like that. also, in my experience verizon reps tend to be pretty dumb (no offense).
i guess i wont just cuz i dont want to get caught, and i dont really need to that much
this true i work for vzw i learn more here about phones and apps then at work lol

STVA

Reaction score
Dude this thread is BS.. There's no way that verizon can know if you have tethering on your phone. unlimited data is unlimited data , plain and simple!

VZW can certainly know if they want to. They can look at the data that you're transmitting/receiving and identify the programs doing it, i.e. if it matches up with Firefox for Windows or Safari you are tethering.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I just want other's to know the cable companies cannot tell what you doing behind your router, if they did try to tell they be illegally doing so.

I use to run a router behind a hub cause I use to pay for 2 ip's from COX.cable. They sent the lead tech to my house when I had issues cause noone else knew how or what I was doing. They tried to tell me I was illegally using there system so I got a lawyer involved and boom haven't heard another word since. You pay for the service into your house. as long as your not hacking your modem to break speed limits there is nothing they can do.

Same is true for Verizon trying to look into your d/ls. Yes if you bring the hardware to them and they see it rooted and wifi tether in there they can note it and then monitor your d/l's thats about the most they can do legally.

Yes they can turn you off and try to make you pay the ETF, but you can fight it. Then they will just ban you from service and not charge a penny.
In order for them to charge and get away with it they would have had to send you warning before hand, so they have legal paperwork for what they are accusing you of.

So dont be scared of them, as for using an employee account thats different because you signed to give them permission to monitor.

So wait , are you saying that if you have internet from COX and you want to install a second PC they are making you buy one more IP and they are not allowing you to install a router ? If this is for real , this is the most mind bubbling thing I ever heard . Man , these companies know how to squeeze money from you .
Last thing I heard similar to this was the fact that I'm charged minutes when I answer my phone even if I wasn't the one placing the call . I had contracts with Vodafone , Orange and T-Mobile Europe and never heard of something like this .