Tethering: How your phone connects and facts and myths about it debate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
No one's arguing that tethering is against the ToS. They're arguing that it doesn't matter that it's against the ToS because

1) you can't get caught (debatable, but see 2)
2) no one can put forth any proof that you can get caught

Stop posting VZW's service agreement. We all know what's on it. We're just saying it doesn't matter. I can show you many people on these boards that tether routinely and have not had their contracts canceled or been slapped with a huge bill.

I've still yet to see anyone with evidence of canceled accounts or huge bills. The $18000 bill was for something completely different (his data contract ran out, so they charged him per MB)

There's only one hard fact here:

No one has shown any proof that VZW is actively cracking down on tethering by canceling contracts or making you pay huge bills.

Note I didn't say "they're not cracking down", or "they can't", or "they won't". Just that no one has showed that "they definitely are".
So if you are just debating... that you can keep doing it because no one has posted proof that VZW is cracking down... then this is a totally pointless thread.

There are a lot of things we can apply this logic too. Shall we start talking/debating that too?

As posted earlier in this thread... its the same as saying... Since I wont get caught speeding it must be ok even though its against the law... and since no one has provided me proof they got a ticket going down this stretch of road, it must be ok for me to speed down it. And I'll just keep doing it until I get caught, or someone else posts proof.

Agreed. This is a pointless thread if the arguments are

1] You can't prove that they do and
2] You can't prove that they don't.

Which is essentially what it is haha...I'll stick with the fact that they can absolutely prove that you are, and if they wanted to they'd have a right to charge you for tethering.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
But you're right, I can't point to one DROID person who got caught... But here are a few recent Blackberries who did (with the same TOS in their data plan contracts..)

TetherBerry - Page 43 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Or -> Omg!!! Help!!! Unexpected data charges for Tetherberry use - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com outlining a $3890 bill...

But I guess since those are BB users, not Droids... and they didn't post any scans, they don't count?

Holy **** at that last post.... I read the forums.

Uhh, sinking feeling in my stomach. Anyone who uses a lot of bandwidth while tethering should check out those links.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
But you're right, I can't point to one DROID person who got caught... But here are a few recent Blackberries who did (with the same TOS in their data plan contracts..)

TetherBerry - Page 43 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Or -> Omg!!! Help!!! Unexpected data charges for Tetherberry use - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com outlining a $3890 bill...

But I guess since those are BB users, not Droids... and they didn't post any scans, they don't count?

Holy **** at that last post.... I read the forums.

Uhh, sinking feeling in my stomach. Anyone who uses a lot of bandwidth while tethering should check out those links.

Yeh it's only a matter of time before the people who have replaced their ISP with tethering are going to get caught, and it's going to be FAR worse then what that guy on that thread faced....

jozhua

Reaction score

This link is faulty as seen here: TetherBerry - Page 45 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

If you care about facts & the truth you should edit your post and remove it. If you only care about your stance being "right" then by all means leave it.

The 2nd link was interesting. The follow up post seemed a little silly though:
My Tetherberry Disaster - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Here are some facts, just to be redundant;):

1. Verizon does not offer a paid option for tethering with the Droid.
2. Tethering your Droid to your computer violates Verizon's TOS
3. You may or may not be charged in the future if you get caught tethering.

My opinion: I do not think anyone will be charged $$$ until they offer a valid paid tethering option for the Droid.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

The charge was reversed on a technicality, but it does show that VZ can and does go after tethering.

My opinion: I do not think anyone will be charged $$$ until they offer a valid paid tethering option for the Droid.

I'm with you on this. We'll see.

jozhua

Reaction score

The charge was reversed on a technicality, but it does show that VZ can and does go after tethering.

I'm with you on this. We'll see.

I don't think so? He admitted that his wife had been accessing data from her phone on the same account, not the one he was tethering with.

mikes

Reaction score
If Verizon really cared - they'd offer us a way to pay legally for tethering. So far they haven't. So, they really don't care.
If the government really cared, they'd offer people a way to legally buy drugs and sex. So far they haven't. So, they really don't care.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

I don't think so? He admitted that his wife had been accessing data from her phone on the same account, not the one he was tethering with.

Oh, OK, my bad. I guess you're right. That link is misleading. I guess the guy who originally posted it should "take it back".

Anyway, he did provide one link that seems to show VZ goes after tethering.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Basic business and network maintenance practices dictate that it IS in Verizon's interest to go after heavy users IF those users are in violation of the terms of service. The network infrastructure can only support so many tethering (heavy volume) users before it will need to be upgraded, and upgrading a network to meet demands of unpaying customers results on a profit loss.

I agree that Verizon wont bother with Droid users until there is a paying option, but I have no doubt that it's just a matter of time.

Like someone said before, you can feign ignorance, but good luck explaining packets with XBox Live and Hulu-based headers.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
That upgrade is LTE...and a Verizon exec talked about maybe going back to the x dollars per MB/GB used after LTE goes live....
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Mark_Venture

Reaction score

This link is faulty as seen here: TetherBerry - Page 45 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

If you care about facts & the truth you should edit your post and remove it. If you only care about your stance being "right" then by all means leave it.
Yup, I'll apologize for that one. I picked a bad example, that I didn't fully research as I scanned through that thread today. I didn't take the time to read the subsequent 32 posts after profclean2000's first post I linked to.
The 2nd link was interesting. The follow up post seemed a little silly though:
My Tetherberry Disaster - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
A little silly? A kid taking responsibility for his actions, and someone helping him do it? Or silly because he went into the complete story?

That one at least wasn't disproved, and does support my point.

Last edited:

jozhua

Reaction score
The story of the resolution is a little WTF. Yes, that post does support what you guys are saying. I searched Crackberry earlier and I couldn't seem to find a specific post with someone saying they were charged for it, just threads & threads of speculation and back-and-forths.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
The story of the resolution is a little WTF. Yes, that post does support what you guys are saying. I searched Crackberry earlier and I couldn't seem to find a specific post with someone saying they were charged for it, just threads & threads of speculation and back-and-forths.

sorta like on droidforums

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys, here's the thing. We got two threads in the same forum talking about an identical subject. Both were started on the same day and probably were different at that time, but now they seem to be discussing the same issues.

I really don't see a need for two threads this size on one issue. I think merging the two would create confusion for someone who read the thread from the beginning.

Please continue your discussions over here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/40123-tethering-heres-why-i-wouldnt-do.html

This thread is :closed_2:

Status
Not open for further replies.