tethering options? Mobile hotspot deals?

bronskrat

Reaction score
So I was thinking of adding a Verizon MiFi. I have unlimited data now on my phone. The chat went down as expected:

Jennifer P.: Your phone does have the capability to be used as a mobile hotspot. That service is $20 for 2GB per month, if you use your phone. If you add a new line, with the mifi device, the minimum plan available would be 5GB for $50 per month.
me: why wouldn't it be unlimited? i already have unlimited data with my phone
Jennifer P.: Because it is not the same as the data on the phone. This data is not used for your phone. It is used for other devices.

Actually, I did think I would have unlimited data for this.

What are my *legal* options? I know I can tether and may end up doing that, but don't want to end up in a situation where I get throttled or charged a bajillion.

J

JriderG

I have been tethering for a year now. No throttling yet.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

J

JriderG

I believe you will need root though.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Throttled on dx? Won't happen. Either root and use wireless tether or don't root and use easy tether with usb cord. I've used 130gb over a weekend using hotspot when it was free and unlimited, so I don't see them throttling you as you won't even come close with your slow connection.

J

JriderG

You do gigabits right. Because that would equal 16 gigabytes.

OP
B

bronskrat

Reaction score
Well I have root, forever root, and all that so I guess I'll be going the tethered route. If something happens, I'll bump this thread. Thanks for the info! Very helpful.

J

JriderG

Lol nice xeene. That's over the whole month though. To do that much in a weekend would require much more than an average of 2mb down, but that's a **** ton of data over 3g, Props man.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
that was using 4g on thunderbolt over a course of couple days. i called verizon first to verify if there were going to be any repercussions or fees they told me to go ahead so i did.

J

JriderG

Oh that makes sense. I was under the impression you were on a Droid X.

Kasey

Reaction score
So I saw the 6GB of Hotspot data "Special" for $40 that Verizon is offering and took advantage of it. In conversation with their CSR, Cory explained to me that 2GB was for hotspot and 4GB is for phone data. Huh? Where is THAT documented, I asked. He couldn't find it. Nor could I find it looking through all of the fine print that I could muster on the Verizon website.

Don't get me wrong, I like Verizon after coming off the terrible data speeds that Sprint has (500k at best) and the unbelievably bad non-HSPA+ speeds from an attempted purchase with AT&T (100k non HSPA+). Within my 30 days I returned the incredibly bad AT&T gear. Verizon has great data speeds at 30M bps here in Lansing, MI. I'm truly very happy with them.

BUT, if there's an attorney out there looking for a class action this is a good case. When you buy data service from Verizon, they don't tell you in plain English ANYWHERE, that your 6GB is proportioned as 2 for hotspot and 4 for phone. It's my only complaint. If I use 4GB of hotspot data, you can bet that I'll be calling and complaining and asking where this so called rule exists.

:serious: