smoking through 10 megs of data

trinibob

Reaction score
I recently was changed from unlimited data plan to 10 megs per month.
Because my new phone was 4g and they took away my unlimited plan.
I use my free mobile hotspot to link to my laptop at work.
I believe I use normal amounts of data per month half a dozen videos streamed nowhere near 10 megs.
But I have been at or over over 10 megs at the end plans Cycle!
my number 1 day 1 data usage is the mobile hotspot??
Please explain to me whether or not that mobile hotspot uses more data than using let's a PDA.net to transfer my internet service to a different machine?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I believe I use normal amounts of data per month half a dozen videos streamed nowhere near 10 megs.
Please explain to me whether or not that mobile hotspot uses more data than using let's a PDA.net to transfer my internet service to a different machine?
You say "free mobile hotspot"...what exactly is the free hotspot...I didn't think one of those exist...particularly with Verizon and their new data plans. Can you elaborate on the free hotspot?

tjrssibelle

Reaction score
It's part of the share everything plan

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
It's part of the share everything plan

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Oh...not that familiar with the new share plans. Then what he is saying makes more sense to me now...I guess I better go study the new share plans. Nothing is free anymore:biggrin: If it's data on a mobile network you're going to pay something for it for sure.

OP
trinibob

trinibob

Reaction score
they were charging me 20 dollar a month on my unlimited plan now that I have 10 megs per month they tell me it was free

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
they charged me 20 dollar they charged me 20 dollars a month now that I have 10 megs per month they tell me it was free
If they're charging you $20 a month for 10GB, then what is free? I guess that is what I'm trying to figure out.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
There was an fcc ruling due to an agreement that Verizon had in getting access to the airways (or something like that), that those with limited data plans (tiered and share everything) could not be charged extra for the hotspot. Those on unlimited plans can still be charged for the hotspot...and they are at $20 more per month.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Trinibob, for the months that you were using the hotspot feature before it was free (when you were on the unlimited plan), how much data each month were you using. You can check online looking at data usage of past bills.

Also, keep in mind that if you were 3g before, chances are that you are using a lot more data on 4g. It is sort of the nature of the beast. Because you are able to load more data faster, you tend to do more accessing data in less time. In essence, if you spent an hour surfing the web, doing web tasks or using apps that use data on 3g, doing an hour on 4g of surfing, web tasks, data apps is accessing a lot more mb's of data.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Thanks TisMyDriod...as always you have cleared things up:biggrin:

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller

Correct me if I am wrong but the OP is referring to 10 MEGS of data.... Am I the only one not seeing that as an issue or are you guys just assuming he meant 10 GIGs?? I am not aware of VZW offering plans of less then 2GB on the Share Everything plan.... As far as the "free Mobile Hotspot" It's not really free there just aren't any additional charges for using it.... But if the OP is actually only getting 10 Megs you are only talking about being able to upload a hand ful of photos..... My guess is he is maybe mistaken and actually gets 10 GB but is trying to limit himself to 10 Megs which is not necessary.... I am not sure how anyone with a smart phone could actually stay under 10 megs in one month...

OP
trinibob

trinibob

Reaction score
What I'm trying to say people is that on my unlimited plan I never went over 10 megs a month and now I'm struggling to stay under the only difference in my use each is that I have been using the wifi hotspot now.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Make sure it is password protected and no one else is using it. Also loading websites on a desktop takes more bandwidth then it does on a phone. On the phone most all of the sites load with an app or the mobile version of the site which uses far less data.

Communicated from atop The Beer Tent Capital of The World

YellowJacket

Reaction score
What I'm trying to say people is that on my unlimited plan I never went over 10 megs a month and now I'm struggling to stay under the only difference in my use each is that I have been using the wifi hotspot now.

10 MEGABYTES or 10 GIGABYTES?? If 10 MEGAbytes, then yes, I can see you going through that in a couple minutes.

Please clarify.

David

OP
trinibob

trinibob

Reaction score
Sorry Dave 10 gigs is correct and this was my main concern from going to an unlimited 3g plan to a 10 gig 4g plan because I do love my internet radio at least I used to.