Verizon Tethering Plan Costs

Xproplayer

Reaction score
So i currently have a droid 2 with unlimited data from verizion and i plan to upgrade to a droid razr maxx soon. i have unlimited data grandfathered in so i know that i can get unlimited phone data for the same price but i would like to avoid rooting and doing things that can risk my verizon plan. so my question is can i buy tethering for this phone and not be limited to a specific data amount, and if so how much is it per month?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon is (deliberately) obscure about this particular situation. I'm in the same position as you and as you stated my unlimited data carried over to the Razr Maxx. However, I also have a mobile hotspot device that I use for an iPad, a Kindle Fire, and a laptop when I need it. That contract doesn't expire until the end of this year so I don't want to discontinue that service and switch to tethering until that time.

I've checked the VZW website and, as I said, they clearly don't want to talk about this situation. Instead, you can add tethering to one of the currently available limited plans for $20 per month. This provides an additional 2 gigs per month on the data plan but that's obviously meaningless if you can add the feature to an unlimited plan.

As a sidenote, it appears that Verizon provided additional download capacity as a result of threats from the FCC to investigate a surcharge for tethering for data you've already purchased. By charging the same $20 surcharge but throwing in an additional 2 gigs of data cap they avoid this problem.

Anyhow, I specifically asked whether I could add the tethering capability to my unlimited data plan when I purchased the Razr Maxx and was assured I could. I don't necessarily believe that, of course. Between ignorance and deliberate lies it's always difficult to tell if you're getting the straight scoop from Verizon until you're prepared to actually make a plan change.

I have a feeling that when I'm ready to add tethering to my data plan they will try to force me into a tiered data plan in the process but we'll see. Since I almost never come close to using the full five gigs on my mobile hotspot each month, I suspect it will not make much difference to me but I will find it annoying if it happens.

OP
X

Xproplayer

Reaction score
Verizon is (deliberately) obscure about this particular situation. I'm in the same position as you and as you stated my unlimited data carried over to the Razr Maxx. However, I also have a mobile hotspot device that I use for an iPad, a Kindle Fire, and a laptop when I need it. That contract doesn't expire until the end of this year so I don't want to discontinue that service and switch to tethering until that time.

I've checked the VZW website and, as I said, they clearly don't want to talk about this situation. Instead, you can add tethering to one of the currently available limited plans for $20 per month. This provides an additional 2 gigs per month on the data plan but that's obviously meaningless if you can add the feature to an unlimited plan.

As a sidenote, it appears that Verizon provided additional download capacity as a result of threats from the FCC to investigate a surcharge for tethering for data you've already purchased. By charging the same $20 surcharge but throwing in an additional 2 gigs of data cap they avoid this problem.

Anyhow, I specifically asked whether I could add the tethering capability to my unlimited data plan when I purchased the Razr Maxx and was assured I could. I don't necessarily believe that, of course. Between ignorance and deliberate lies it's always difficult to tell if you're getting the straight scoop from Verizon until you're prepared to actually make a plan change.

I have a feeling that when I'm ready to add tethering to my data plan they will try to force me into a tiered data plan in the process but we'll see. Since I almost never come close to using the full five gigs on my mobile hotspot each month, I suspect it will not make much difference to me but I will find it annoying if it happens.

I use tethering as my internet source so it is required for me that i get unlimited data i wouldnt mind paying an additional 15$ a month to make my tethering more "legal" according to verizon TOS.

Fonzz

Reaction score
I pay 30 for unlimited and another 30 for the wireless tether plan. I'm getting my moneys worth too, using about 600 gigs per billing cycle. Saved 55 dollars a month by dropping my home phone / DSL.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I pay 30 for unlimited and another 30 for the wireless tether plan. I'm getting my moneys worth too, using about 600 gigs per billing cycle. Saved 55 dollars a month by dropping my home phone / DSL.

If you're truly downloading 600 gigs (!) per billing cycle from Verizon I think you'll be hearing from them very soon. I recall seeing a news story recently in which a couple of users who were downloading far less than that had their accounts closed. Remember, the carrier is holding all the cards. Your TOS provides for cancellation by the carrier if they (and only they) determine you are "abusing" the network.

I'm curious, though. My home internet provides a cap of 250 gigs per month and I'm online about 12 hours a day. I've never come anywhere remotely close to that cap. Do you stream movies 24/7?

SallyC

Reaction score
So i currently have a droid 2 with unlimited data from verizion and i plan to upgrade to a droid razr maxx soon. i have unlimited data grandfathered in so i know that i can get unlimited phone data for the same price but i would like to avoid rooting and doing things that can risk my verizon plan. so my question is can i buy tethering for this phone and not be limited to a specific data amount, and if so how much is it per month?

It's not on their website site but if you call you should be able to add unlimited mobile hotspot for $30. They are auditing this more closely now but since you are grandfathered, unless they've changed it, you should get it.

If the rep says no, I'd hang up and try again.

Fonzz

Reaction score
If you're truly downloading 600 gigs (!) per billing cycle from Verizon I think you'll be hearing from them very soon. I recall seeing a news story recently in which a couple of users who were downloading far less than that had their accounts closed. Remember, the carrier is holding all the cards. Your TOS provides for cancellation by the carrier if they (and only they) determine you are "abusing" the network.

I'm curious, though. My home internet provides a cap of 250 gigs per month and I'm online about 12 hours a day. I've never come anywhere remotely close to that cap. Do you stream movies 24/7?

Answer to your question can be found in some of my previous posts here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...particularly-wireless-tether.html#post2045086

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ga...436-how-much-data-do-you-use.html#post1990114