Tethering on Airplane

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
ive always herd it has the possibility to cause interference to the planes electronics. think mythbusters tested this but can not remember the results.

They did test it and their results were that it will not interfere with anything.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love using mine in the Heli, keep in contact with the boss, other instructors, etc.

Of course, we're not at 37,000, but 500 ... :)

wil318466

Reaction score
I'm thinking this is a stone cold myth. I heard this about 10 years ago, that cell phones can indeed receive phone calls during flight, and they will NOT interfere with anything on the plane.

Also, the person who explained this to me also claimed the real reason that they ask you to turn off cell phones is because these phone calls cannot be tracked by cell phone companies because of the speed of the plane moving from cell tower to cell tower makes it impossible for them to charge you for roaming. (remember, this was a long time ago).

I pretty much believed him about the first part, it made complete sense. You can definately get signal up there. Now, exactly WHY they ask you not to use it? Not sure. As another poster above said, he witnessed a pilot using his phone during flight.

Of course, if a Droid brings down a 747, we're all in trouble.

-Wil

Sleeve

Reaction score
Delta has in air wifi. They specifically block VoIP apps, thankfully.

Xerozix

Reaction score
What if I use a proxy to use VOIP on a different port from my comp/phone? then forward that port to the right port for skype etc.

Would they have a problem with that? heheehehe.

skiahh

Reaction score
Also, the person who explained this to me also claimed the real reason that they ask you to turn off cell phones is because these phone calls cannot be tracked by cell phone companies because of the speed of the plane moving from cell tower to cell tower makes it impossible for them to charge you for roaming. (remember, this was a long time ago).

I was told that it wasn't really that it would interfere with the plane's electronics, but that at altitude, the phone would hit multiple towers at once and confuse the system. So it was an FCC rule, not FAA.

Plausible... but still not right, I think.

samredman

Reaction score
Before my Droid I had a blackberry with full gmail checking and download enabled. On a flight from Dallas to New York I had simply forgotten to turn off the phone, maybe because it was on mute like for a movie. About half way on the trip, I felt it vibrate and I looked... and, sure enough, it had checked and downloaded my email and text messages. So, yes, it works (and like some have said, there were calls made during the 9/11 hijackings), probably not all the time, but certainly periodically. I still turned it off (after reading) because I think it is best to obey flight regulations even if there may be some evidence that they are not actually scientifically based. When it comes to airplanes... I like to follow the rules (as the comic line goes... I never put my whole weight down the whole trip).

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
When it comes to airplanes... I like to follow the rules (as the comic line goes... I never put my whole weight down the whole trip).

Very true, Once you are on board you are subject to the rules and direction of the Crew....buck it hard and you'll have a nice meeting once you land.

JayMonster

Reaction score
we went through this previously, and it is both FAA and FCC rules with regards to bans on calls in flight.

That being said, now you are going to be able to do even less (at least for a while) thanks to the "pants bomber"

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it had ANYTHING to do with causing the plane to crash, do you think they would even allow the phones through security? Phones would be banned from even being carried on planes and there would be major security measures to ensure it. It obviously has nothing to do with that, so I think we can put that myth to rest.

KingDroid

Reaction score
If it had ANYTHING to do with causing the plane to crash, do you think they would even allow the phones through security? Phones would be banned from even being carried on planes and there would be major security measures to ensure it. It obviously has nothing to do with that, so I think we can put that myth to rest.

Exactly my thought!

I used to have T-Mobile and I had the 8900. The cool thing about T-Mobile BB's were the ability to use UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access) which means that through WiFi, you could make calls and text in addition to email, MMS, etc...

So I was on a flight about 6 months ago when I had that phone and once they turned on the in-flight WiFi, I connected to it (paid like $5 or something for it for the entire flight) and was able to call, text, Facebook, email and whatever I wanted to do. It was pretty cool, I think. Really it was the only nice feature about T-Mobile...

R

racklefratz

I still turned it off (after reading) because I think it is best to obey flight regulations even if there may be some evidence that they are not actually scientifically based. When it comes to airplanes... I like to follow the rules (as the comic line goes... I never put my whole weight down the whole trip).

Agree. It's a RULE. Sure, that's a four-letter word, but we live in a society of rules. If we decide to just selectively obey (too strong a word for 'ya? not samredman, the scofflaws) the ones we agree with, and blow off all the rest. we're showing arrogance and disrespect for the rest of society. I don't like that kind of society.

The airline cellphone rules are bogus. Airlines get a cut from their onboard cellphone revenues. The aviation industry has historically erred on the side of conservatism, so although no hard scientific evidence exists to support interference with airplane systems, they still want the rule. Thirdly, airborne cellphones are disruptive to ground towers since they reach multiple towers, instead of only one as the system is designed.

But the rule still exists, for now. Do the right thing, or do your own thing. Your choice, but we're all in this together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Not too bright of an idea....There are reasons there are rules about no transmitting from an aircraft inflight.....

Yeah. They are called myths and unwarranted fears.

Maybe, but would you want to be sitting next to someone talking on the cell for a 5 hr flight? Screw that.....