Tethering Complaint Filed Against Verizon with FCC by Free Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drosul

Reaction score
+1, not sure why anyone would think a victory by free press would be a victory for the user. We'll just start paying 60/month for data. That being said, verizon is gonna win.

Verizon is already vocal about plans to move to data caps,before the end of the year.... Now while many low data users are talking about how this is going to save them all sorts of money, remember verizon is a business... If 99% of their users only use 100mb a month, they aren't just going to let that many people reduce their monthly payments.. that would be stupid, and have them throwing away money. The average person's data costs are going to go up, but it has nothing to do with tethering... it has to do with Data Capping. The customer is going to get screwed regardless.

The big thing this will change, is that while we're getting screwed, this lawsuit might actually free the consumer up to use the data they're already paying for, however they want and also prevent Verizon from dictating what apps are used on the phones we paid for.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I pay for unlimited data, I think it should be unlimited. Within reason. If I want to tether some, that should be ok. I'm not talking about PS3 gaming everyday.

I don't have internet at my house because there are no phone lines in my area. I use my phone exclusively and only tether when I need to print something or a site won't work on my phone.

sent from my ZombieStomped X

Doulandroid

Reaction score
Why exactly are they blocking tether apps if they could just deny service for TOS violations? That's the reason a court case is pending. Blocking third party apps by assuming someone is guilty is liable. Even if you are a corporation, you must prove someone is in violation, not sensor their access to free markets.

sent from Dali's moustache.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why exactly are they blocking tether apps if they could just deny service for TOS violations? That's the reason a court case is pending. Blocking third party apps by assuming someone is guilty is liable. Even if you are a corporation, you must prove someone is in violation, not sensor their access to free markets.

Not a free market. They have terms they set which every user agrees to. When the user bypasses those terms vzw can do whatever they want. Ppl who can't understand this kindergarten concept baffle me.

Doulandroid

Reaction score
Contracts work both ways in America. If a consumer agrees to be provided a service by hiring a business, that company must also provide the service under the terms they specified. Look up the word contract. This is a free market, it's called capitalism. Move to China if you want corporate or state run control over your date access. The company can deny service, but they cannot block access to the markets/ information. Android is open source, we can hack. Verizon can only deny service, not block what information I download on my phone.
Still, everyone stop tethering, buy a router and stop ruining it for everyone.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Contracts work both ways in America. If a consumer agrees to be provided a service by hiring a business, that company must also provide the service under the terms they specified. Look up the word contract. This is a free market, it's called capitalism. Move to China if you want corporate or state run control over your date access. The company can deny service, but they cannot block access to the markets/ information. Android is open source, we can hack. Verizon can only deny service, not block what information I download on my phone.
Still, everyone stop tethering, buy a router and stop ruining it for everyone.

They do provide it under the terms they specified...tetherers just refuse to see that and start making up lame buffet analogies to somehow prove they're right (and they fail miserably I might add)

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Verizon is crap for selling unlimited data when it really is not. Verizon is suffering for selling it as "unlimited." They are punishing users for using what they advertised as "unlimited." It is not unlimited, it is no where near unlimited (AT&T anybody?)... The sooner they move to tiered data, the better I think. We should not be punished for their greed!

No I don't tether. No I don't plan on paying $20/month for tethering. Seriously???

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon is crap for selling unlimited data when it really is not. Verizon is suffering for selling it as "unlimited." They are punishing users for using what they advertised as "unlimited." It is not unlimited, it is no where near unlimited (AT&T anybody?)... The sooner they move to tiered data, the better I think. We should not be punished for their greed!

No I don't tether. No I don't plan on paying $20/month for tethering. Seriously???

you should read your contract before signing it...

Doulandroid

Reaction score
I am not talking about buffets. I am talking about contract law. Go to Denny's if you want insipid discussions about buffets.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am not talking about buffets. I am talking about contract law. Go to Denny's if you want insipid discussions about buffets.

and i'm talking about the contract, that you, I and every user on VZW signed...

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What does it matter? Verizon screws us anyway. Like my $800 bill one month because they decided to not accept my phone for warranty, even though it was stock and never rooted.

sent from my ZombieStomped X
Well, being stock and not rooted would not be why they charged you full retail. What happened to your phone? If it broke or was water damaged, it doesn't fall under "warranty".

Status
Not open for further replies.