Terrible call quality

alexuk2008

Reaction score
Has anyone had this issue with there phone? Almost every call sounds terrible. My wife and I have the same incredible phoned and both are great except for the crappy call quality. Missing syllables in sentences, weird robot / synthesizer type garbled speech and general tinnyness. I'm so disappointed . There is also a clear rattling noise coming from the handsets which concerns me. We switched from ATT but this Verizon phone is prob the worst quality call in all my cell phone career.
Anyone else having issues out there? Like I said, both my wife and I got these same phones at the same time, which makes me less think its just a lemon handset.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

PaulQ

Reaction score
I am hesitant to say that I might be wondering the same thing. I don't use my phone for call very often but I have noticed that at least some of them have been choppy, low quality. I'm not ready to say it's a consistent problem but I am "on alert" at this point.

B

bthomp21

Are you calling from areas with good reception? *228 and update roaming capabilities may help

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

PaulQ

Reaction score
Thanks bthomp21.... I am going to try that. I won't know if it works for a week or so because the problem is only intermittent.

OP
A

alexuk2008

Reaction score
I have tried the update and will post back here at the end of the week with the result.
My service are is good, and the calls are just fine on speaker. But the sound through the phone without speaker is crappy.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

windstrings

Reaction score
Mine often sounded like someone with a vox microphone that only picked up the volume or voice of the caller when the volume rose to a certain level.... almost like I was missing the very first part of the conversation.

In the past I've tried changing my vocodec but occasionally I have lost 3G.

I have since found another setting I'm trying.
When I lost my signal it seemed to always be in remote areas so I'm assuming its when I was on roaming towers whereas the Verizon towers coped with the EVRC-B vocodec good but when passed to a neighboring tower it sometimes lost the edge to be able to negotiate that vocodec.

If anyone is interested here are my settings,

1. Dial "##program" and press send. Enter code "000000"
2. Go to NAM CDMA SETTINGS
3. SCROLL down to "preferred Voice Service option for home page" set to EVRC-B, hit ok
4. Next go to "Preferred voice service option for home origination" set to EVRC-B, hit ok
5. Next leave "Preferred voice service option for Roam Origination" at EVRC
6. Now pic "menu" at the bottom, then choose "commit modifications" on bottom.
7. Device will reboot after 10 seconds.

You will instantly see better more solid phone conversations that are more like a landline quality.

I recommend trying it since its just as easy to reverse if you don't like it.

Last edited:

franc

Reaction score
poor call quality

We have the same problem with two new incredibles. We had great quality with dumb phones from T-Mobile. Data is great now; calls are awful.

Did *228 work?

windstrings, I'd like to try your suggestion, but I'm not sure how to--or how to reverse it if necessary. Can you clarify please for newbies? Thx.

PaulQ

Reaction score
Franc... I just did it. There are only two options to select. EVRC and EVRC-B. So, you can easily go back and just switch it back to the original option.

Of course, I haven't tried switching it back. It looks easy though.

Last edited:

franc

Reaction score
Thanks, PaulQ ( and thanks windstrings for the directions). I tried it and call quality is much improved.

How did *228 work?

PaulQ

Reaction score
I have tried *228 before. Correct me I'm wrong but all it does is update the roaming tower information. If you don't roam, it doesn't matter.

windstrings

Reaction score
We have the same problem with two new incredibles. We had great quality with dumb phones from T-Mobile. Data is great now; calls are awful.

Did *228 work?

windstrings, I'd like to try your suggestion, but I'm not sure how to--or how to reverse it if necessary. Can you clarify please for newbies? Thx.

Piece of cake.. just follow the same instructions and choose EVRC "instead of" EVRC-B to change back.... hit menu at the bottom and commit modifications.

Last edited: