TBolt having issues connecting to 3G & 4G networks?

Beardface

Reaction score
I try as much as I can to make sure this device is connected to WiFi whenever possible (I say that, because this thing has issues connecting to my roommate's router... but I think thats a problem with her router and not the phone... but I could be wrong) but last night it didn't, and was only running 3G when I went to bed. I fully charged it before putting it on my nightstand. Woke up randomly 4 hours later, and went to check my phone and it was sitting at 4% charge! I have never had this problem before. I went to check what was eating the battery... 94% battery usage by Android System, which includes network connectivity.

I'm thinking this thing has a massive problem connecting to the Verizon data networks. I have this thing with me all day in Wifi areas and get 20 hours of usage out of it, but leave it overnight connected to the Data towers, and it drains in 4 hours. Thats horrible!

And we don't have 4G out here, so I know its not that. Unless Verizon was testing their towers last night and triggered LTE on my phone, that shouldn't have been the problem. Any thoughts?

cpjr

Reaction score
I usually keep wifi off and so its constantly on either 3G mostly or 4G and my battery is fine.

PS- Why would you charge the phone before going to bed and not let it just charge all night?

OP
Beardface

Beardface

Reaction score
I usually keep wifi off and so its constantly on either 3G mostly or 4G and my battery is fine.

PS- Why would you charge the phone before going to bed and not let it just charge all night?
I was out volunteering last night, and the warehouse we were in created a dead zone. My battery drained pretty heavily because I forgot to put it in Airplane mode, and it spent the whole time searching for a signal. I had to charge it when I got home, and once I started I figured I would fully charge it, and see how much of the battery was used with NO use overnight.

I can tell you, I was not expecting 96% battery drain in half a night's sleep...

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm like the OP in that I'm connected to WiFi most of the time, and I have no 4G yet. I have noticed that when connected to 3G it does drain the battery quicker, but not at the rate you are talking about!

Do you have good signal where your phone was all night? If it was searching for service it would drain quickly.

Also if you are having an issue connecting to the router the phone constantly trying to acquire an ip/connect could be draining the battery as well.

joewilly013

Reaction score
As far as problems connecting to data, this is true and has been documented in many other threads. Both 3g and 4g have issues in many cases, and often lines the fix has been switching the 3g radio from hrpd to rev a, and shutting off 4g depending on coverage in your area.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

cpjr

Reaction score
I would imagine that if signal isnt good and the phone spent alot of time trying to connect or reconnect, then yeah it would kill the battery.

I think depending on the circumstances, wifi or 3g/4g, either one could drain the battery quickly.

OP
Beardface

Beardface

Reaction score
I'm like the OP in that I'm connected to WiFi most of the time, and I have no 4G yet. I have noticed that when connected to 3G it does drain the battery quicker, but not at the rate you are talking about!

Do you have good signal where your phone was all night? If it was searching for service it would drain quickly.

Also if you are having an issue connecting to the router the phone constantly trying to acquire an ip/connect could be draining the battery as well.
Yeah, I have a pretty good signal. I mean, I've seen it drain faster, but nowhere near the rate it did last night. Surprised the heck out of me, which is why I posted this. I never had the problem with the Droid when it would rely on 3G, and in my week of using the TBolt, didn't see anything similar there, so yeah.

As for the Wifi problems, I figured it out. When I can't connect, I just kill the router, plug it back in, and the phone connects. Something is wrong with the stupid thing, and I'm going to get a much better one when my roommate moves out this summer. She's just using a cheap Belkin.

Actually, now that you mention it, you might be onto something. I don't think I deactivated my Wifi last night on the phone. If not, it would have been in that constant 'Connecting/Acquiring IP/Disconnect/repeat'... If thats the case, it could explain the drain.