Task Killers?

Coots

Reaction score
I've used a couple different ones, both seem about the same to me. (TaskKiller, ATK)

My question is, on TaskKiller, for those who use it.... how many MB does it say your phone has left? Mine usually stays around 80-90 after I kill task, during a "busy" time it can get down to about 30-40MB left. Is that normal?

Reaction score
I've used a couple different ones, both seem about the same to me. (TaskKiller, ATK)

My question is, on TaskKiller, for those who use it.... how many MB does it say your phone has left? Mine usually stays around 80-90 after I kill task, during a "busy" time it can get down to about 30-40MB left. Is that normal?

I first used a task manager and then quickly got rid of it because I read here that it was pointless and because I was anal about it. I would suggest not worrying about it unless you want to specifically close something when finished.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I wont even rant about this again, I'll simply try to answer the question lol

I've used TasKiller since December, I usually kill everything except Gmail, Email, and messaging. My available memory is usually around 90-100MB but will often vary given some apps start themselves. However I occasionally reboot the phone and once I kill everything but the apps I listed I'm usually sitting at well over 100MB. The Browser and any games that don't auto close will eat that memory for breakfast hence the need for the app to begin with in my opinion.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I used ATK and quickly got rid of it. I found once I got rid of it my phone ran so much better. My battery seems to last longer.

You don't need them but those that have one seem to be anal about it. My husband has it and refuses to delete it even though I tell him it is creating some of his problems with the phone. He swears by it. I am saying from personal experience, you do not need it.

billyidle

Reaction score
The browser does not "eat" memory FYI. If you think they help ya, go for it. Just understand that Android does it automatically, and, has a manual task killer built into the OS for those times you need to kill the app yourself. No "need" for a 3rd party task killer.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yes, it's normal. My phone runs pretty much all the time with around 30 mb free. Sometimes less when I bother to check it. Having more free memory does nothing for performance or battery life. It does, however, make some people feel better.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I do not have a task killer app; but xscope has one built in. There is an argument for/against task killers. I have noticed a difference in battery life when I killed certain apps; but to each his/her own.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine usually stays around 80-90 after I kill task, during a "busy" time it can get down to about 30-40MB left. Is that normal?
It's impossible to say what is or isn't normal in your case without any idea of what you're running. It's not a one-size-fits-all world. We don't all use our Droids in the same way. What's normal for one Droid owner may not be normal for another.

Are you actually having problems or just fixating on the remaining memory number?

91jolson

Reaction score
The Xscope Browser is telling me that 30 is "Normal" but I havent used a task killer since I started reading this forum lol. I used to find myself checking ATK after i closed an app, everytime i used an app.
They just seem to be a waste of time.
Even if lag slows your phone down a little bit from not using a task killer, is it worth all the time you will spend killing off apps and dealing with the problems that arise from killing apps?

EbE404

Reaction score
Coots-

As you may have sensed, this is a really divisive issue in Droid Land.

Here is a link to the most fair and balanced discussion of what they do, how to and how not to use a task killer.

How to properly set up and use a task killer (Oh, yes, I went there!) | Android Central

Personally, I have one, but have never used it-except to manually nuke something that was really acting up (maybe twice since I've owned the phone). No problems for me.