Talk and Surf

diane135130

Reaction score
Even though Verizon told me I couldn't do it....I am able to talk on phone and surf web at same time using Wi-Fi....just wanted to pass that along. ATT is NOT the only one who can provide it! :icon_ banana:

klep33

Reaction score
Well yes we all can talk and surf when using Wi-Fi. When using CDMA it is impossible to do it though which is what AT&T means since GSM can talk and surf simultaneously.

leobg

Reaction score
We can talk and surf at the same time without wifi with the D2G as long as we don't use Verizon's CDMA network :). Works for me on Rogers in Canada (GSM/HSPA)

OP
D

diane135130

Reaction score
Well considering I don't eve know what CMDA is....I was just happy when I found I could do it! Lol

McBowfles

Reaction score
CDMA and GSM are types of cellular networks. Verizon, and Sprint have CDMA networks. While Tmobile, and AT&T have GSM networks. You surfing and talking on wifi means you are using 2 different networks. 3g for voice, and wifi for data. On GSM this apparently can be done entirely on the 3g radio. I assume the data and voice streams are on 2 different frequencies.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Medicineman

Reaction score
funny I used to be able to talk on my cell phone and surf on Alltel and when Verizon took over I still can do it. I don't use wifi either. I am in Kansas.
just tried it and had my wife call me, it worked and I was surfing and talking.

djp

Reaction score
I knew about this limitation on Verizon before I switched from the iphone - but I was shocked at how often it presents a problem. Didn't realize how frequently one needs to grab an email or check an address while on the phone.

McBowfles

Reaction score
funny I used to be able to talk on my cell phone and surf on Alltel and when Verizon took over I still can do it. I don't use wifi either. I am in Kansas.

Did Alltel phones take sim cards?

leobg

Reaction score
Just to clarify - GSM (2G) also cannot handle simultaneous voice and data, just like CDMA and EVDO.
However the UMTS/HSPA (3G) can handle both data and voice at the same time.

Medicineman

Reaction score

Did Alltel phones take sim cards?
none of mine did.
I think service and quality has dwindled since Verizon took over. But that is what I notice here in Kansas.

Medicineman

Reaction score
Just to clarify - GSM (2G) also cannot handle simultaneous voice and data, just like CDMA and EVDO.
However the UMTS/HSPA (3G) can handle both data and voice at the same time.

I can't explain it, I just know that i can do it!:icon_ banana: I've heard from others that I can't. Please explain how I can talk and surf the web on my cell phone at the same time here in Kansas on the Verizon network.