AT&T new ads say VZW can't browse and talk simultaneously?

joegrind

Reaction score
Okay....saw the new ATT/ iPhone ads hitting VZW about not being able to talk and check email, browse the web etc. at the same time....but I can do that on my Moto Droid. Am I missing something...Just today I was on hold....heard the 'hold music' and was busily checking emails, surfing iGoogle and Amazon for about 3 mins while on hold with comcast. I didn't have wi-fi (that's why I was on the phone with Comcast)....am I missing something? I've read about CDMA not being able to 'talk and surf' and I've heard this from VZW themselves....so what am I missing?
:motdroidhoriz:

M1dnite

Reaction score
Okay....saw the new ATT/ iPhone ads hitting VZW about not being able to talk and check email, browse the web etc. at the same time....but I can do that on my Moto Droid. Am I missing something...Just today I was on hold....heard the 'hold music' and was busily checking emails, surfing iGoogle and Amazon for about 3 mins while on hold with comcast. I didn't have wi-fi (that's why I was on the phone with Comcast)....am I missing something? I've read about CDMA not being able to 'talk and surf' and I've heard this from VZW themselves....so what am I missing?

Hell, I can't. You must have a special phone.

DRLyman

Reaction score
That is only when the iPhone is on 3G. On EDGE it cannot do that. I have an iPhone 3GS as well as the Droid. My iPhone goes in and out of 3G so much that it is impossible to do that, anyway.

keiichi25

Reaction score

The better question is if you are using the default phone on the Droid or not.

I just did a test where I called my work phone, went to the home and tried opening a browser. First message came up was unable to use the browser as there is no internet connection.

You can browse your current e-mail as that is saved on your phone, but I could not look through google or anything else at that time. The other possibility, is that you COULD use it if you had a WiFi connection but then that means your are using two different connections versus using the Phone and 3G connection. Since I lack a WiFi connection to test this theory, this is only a supposition.

If you are using Google Voice to talk with someone, or an IM with VOIP capability, then you are using the data function only, allowing you to 'talk' and browse at the same time.

OP
joegrind

joegrind

Reaction score
well I doubt it's only me....maybe it's when you receive calls....cause I just dialed 611 and went to Google news and was browsing for a minute while I heard the 611 operator/ message go through her message prompt.

keiichi25

Reaction score
well I doubt it's only me....maybe it's when you receive calls....cause I just dialed 611 and went to Google news and was browsing for a minute while I heard the 611 operator/ message go through her message prompt.

No, my little test was me using my Droid to call my work phone and then trying to browse, so it is not just receiving a call.

I would surmise there are more factors involved.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Shenanigans. SHort of a video showing this, no way. CDMA technology is NOT capable of this. No way. No how.

OP
joegrind

joegrind

Reaction score
okay...solved. I did a test call with my brothers phone....both making and receiving a call...through GVoice and through the native phone....it's because Wi-Fi was on....I deactivated Wi-Fi the 3rd time around and it didn't go through.
Not sure how the phone was still using wi-fi earlier today as my comp couldn't get on...had to have comcast do a reset on my modem/ router for the comp to be connected. Apparently my Droid was able to and my comp wasn't. This phone amazes me more and more every day.

Erich_F

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw the commercial and wondered...so I did it, and it worked! I called my house landline from the Droid. So, it at least works with outbound calls.

See my related post HERE

savioAMG

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw the commercial and wondered...so I did it, and it worked! I called my house landline from the Droid. So, it at least works with outbound calls.

See my related post HERE

It doesn't work. Verizon is a CDMA network. CDMA is not able to use simultaneous Voice + Data. Make sure your WiFi wasn't on or anything. It's 100% impossible for Verizon's network to do what you "experienced."

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

See my related post HERE
you were connected over wi-fi...CDMA devices cannot do that....it's simply not possible

Erich_F

Reaction score
It doesn't work. Verizon is a CDMA network. CDMA is not able to use simultaneous Voice + Data. Make sure your WiFi wasn't on or anything. It's 100% impossible for Verizon's network to do what you "experienced."

Yeah, I probably did have WiFi on, since I usually do at the house.

I believe you, but can you explain why it's such an impossibility for CDMA to do this? I'm just curious about the mechanics behind it, for you to be so sure about its impossibility? You act like we're expecting the Droid to pass through a brick wall.

Erich

JTAC

Reaction score
At&t sucks. I just stopped working for them and you wouldn't believe some of the shady things they had us add to people's accounts. Never seen so many angry customers about reception, dropped calls, extremely high bills and invalid charges.

TomN

Reaction score
You know, I never really had a problem with AT&T's service. I never had dropped calls, it's just that I moved a few miles south and we don't have any 3G service down here while Verizon has it all over. Really sucked for doing anything involving data transfer and had to be constantly hooked up to my wifi. Now with my Droid, if I'm not on wifi it doesn't really matter to me since the 3G network is still pretty zippy.

andresings

Reaction score

See my related post HERE

just tried i myself. worked with a wifi connection, but not on the 3G connection.