AT&T new ads say VZW can't browse and talk simultaneously?

Mojeska

Reaction score
Cdma

CDMA will eventually support simultaneous data and voice, but I don't know when it will be implemented on Verizon. Read the fourth paragraph on the CDG release. CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases

I'm not sure if the Droid would be upgradeable for this functionality...

volando

Reaction score
I never had dropped calls

lol you're luck you didn't live around SF - ATT's network is absolute crap here :-\

this cdma limitation indeed does suck, as I'm stuck in work-related conf calls a lot where active participation isn't really needed. Sometimes when I'm away from the home some internet action would be nice! Oh well...

edit: wait, the conf call is an 800 US number, can i call it free using skype or something??

keiichi25

Reaction score
CDMA will eventually support simultaneous data and voice, but I don't know when it will be implemented on Verizon. Read the fourth paragraph on the CDG release. CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases

I'm not sure if the Droid would be upgradeable for this functionality...

Well, from the article, given it was announced August 17th of this year, the chances of it fully being implemented when the 4G network information people are posting is being rolled out at the moment... The Cost to update and push out might be better spent on the update and roll out of the 4G network implementation versus just doing the 3G.

This also presumes that the 4G implementation can be software updated to the phones, otherwise, they might include that along with the 4G update of their towers in time, but again, if the phones do not support a software update or hardwired to decode CDMA through the old standard versus the new one, you will still suffer the No Data while on Voice issue.

Remember, some technologies can be software fixed, but others cannot. Signal conversion is better handled through hardware implementation. hardware implementation, while it is harder to update, is usually faster than a software driven implementation. Software implementation is usually subjected to the limitation of the hardware's ability to drive a virtual processing method.

But since I don't know CDMA or GSM technologies or how they are processed, I could be completely wrong in my expectation of the issues at hand.

bacalao

Reaction score
Talking and surfing the net is nice (or other task), and I was able to do it on the storm. But I can't see that ability as being anything important in deciding a phone. I don't miss it, but that's just because I hate long conversations and I can't divide my attention! haha
Happy turkey day

mcinvaille

Reaction score
Simultaneous Call/Data

That is only when the iPhone is on 3G. On EDGE it cannot do that. I have an iPhone 3GS as well as the Droid. My iPhone goes in and out of 3G so much that it is impossible to do that, anyway.

I was able to do this on my ATT BB Curve; while on a call I could navigate to text, email or web and use those services. My curve was Edge only/no 3G...just fyi.

savioAMG

Reaction score
That is only when the iPhone is on 3G. On EDGE it cannot do that. I have an iPhone 3GS as well as the Droid. My iPhone goes in and out of 3G so much that it is impossible to do that, anyway.

I was able to do this on my ATT BB Curve; while on a call I could navigate to text, email or web and use those services. My curve was Edge only/no 3G...just fyi.

Texting, you could do. You could email, but it would wait to send until after you ended your call. The only way you were able to use the web while on a call was if you were using WiFi, if your Curve had WiFi. It's 100% impossible for the EDGE network to allow that.

HarleyDad09

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it is garbage that you cant be on the phone and use data. I could do that on my Dare and my Tour!

savioAMG

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it is garbage that you cant be on the phone and use data. I could do that on my Dare and my Tour!

You sure about that?
Verizon's CDMA 3G network does NOT allow for simultaneous voice/data, so NO Verizon phone, not just the Droid, has ever been able to be on the phone and surf the web at the same, unless WiFi was involved.

NotU

Reaction score
You know, I never really had a problem with AT&T's service. I never had dropped calls, it's just that I moved a few miles south and we don't have any 3G service down here while Verizon has it all over. Really sucked for doing anything involving data transfer and had to be constantly hooked up to my wifi. Now with my Droid, if I'm not on wifi it doesn't really matter to me since the 3G network is still pretty zippy.

AT&T's coverage is a serious issue where I live. AT&T's 3g network only covers a very small part of my state (Iowa). I can get 3g where I work, but only a weak 2g where I live and where most of my friends and family live. There are places where we do not even get 2g with AT&T.

I have to laugh when I see their commercial about 'maps'. No where do they even mention that the Verizon commercials were using the 3g-only zones (which I read they are actually suing over), and the 'coverage map' they use shows 1g, 2g, and 3g coverage.

JoeFresco

Reaction score
I second Savio. I had an iPhone 3G that spent most of its time on 2G (EDGE), where I regularly had to end calls in order to do some data work. Simultaneous voice/data is great... if you have 3G coverage.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I finally got out of ATT, and am glad! So many issues, and when you call to complain .. They told my wife that "according to the map you have good coverage", coverage may be one thing, but if your network keeps dropping the conversation into dfnadfgsdklgha;fzsdiughadkfghk after 30 seconds .....

So it can't do both on the phone network, but hey, that is why we have wifi capability as well right? :)

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Could we get an OP to close this? It's a known deal and a stupid topic. If people weren't aware of this when they bought the phone it is their own fault. And if you're finding it out in a commercial then you obviously haven't run into an instance where its needed.

Just use wifi and you'll be good.

keiichi25

Reaction score
Could we get an OP to close this? It's a known deal and a stupid topic. If people weren't aware of this when they bought the phone it is their own fault. And if you're finding it out in a commercial then you obviously haven't run into an instance where its needed.

Just use wifi and you'll be good.

Well, I agree that we should have a Mod or someone close this thread.

I will submit something in the Droid FAQ about CDMA and the AT&T/Verizon Commercial explanation. While I am not much of an AT&T fan or an iPhone fan, I will try to explain (scarily enough, verbosely) the whole deal there.

hajabooja

Reaction score
First post here - just had to chime in on this. I don't get why this is such a big deal? Is it really that necessary for people to talk and browse at the same time? I guess cause I'm not a big business man and don't need to get emails and what not while on a call. But I mean jesus... it phone does everything else. I just find it really funny that this is the only thing that AT&T can come back with lol. Oh well... cheers to Droid!