AT&T Commercials: On VZW you can't talk and surf at the same time!

Laurence5905

Reaction score
Besides, it's fun to see them pissing back and forth. :D

Agreed! I find it funny that AT&T's commercials (the "post card" commercial in particular) keep talking about how their coverage extends to 97% of the American population... Of course they leave out the fact that 80% of that coverage is on their EDGE network, not 3G... Oops...

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Agreed! I find it funny that AT&T's commercials (the "post card" commercial in particular) keep talking about how their coverage extends to 97% of the American population... Of course they leave out the fact that 80% of that coverage is on their EDGE network, not 3G... Oops...

My favorite set of Droid commercials are the ones that call the iPhone (paraphrased) "a weak, girlie princess phone" like the one where a press is crushing a bunch of iPhones in gaudy cases. I've seen some pretty weird "designer" cases for the iPhone that even Paris Hilton would think were over the top.

justbob

Reaction score
Being able to talk on the phone and surf the net at the same time is neat gimmick, so it gives AT&T an extra box to tick when they publish the inevitable comparison chart. But the fact remains that web surfing on a phone (any phone) is not really an optimal experience. I do it on my Droid only as a last resort.

I'm happy that iPhone users can talk and surf at the same time. Now if they really want to impress me, let me see someone install an extended run battery or bigger memory card in his iPhone without voiding the warranty. :icon_ devil:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The latest commercial AT&T put out; the one where the Verizon Map Pins fall out. That's the most pathetic attempt to cover their lack of coverage I've seen yet. Specially when almost all the pins fall out when they say AT&T has the only phones that can surf the web while your on a call.

Apparently it's like politics in advertising. What you say and what you mean doesn't necessarily have to be the truth.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
ATT would have a point, except that you can't stay on any call long enough to surf while doing so. If you are going to surf and talk, then maintaining that vcall might be a bit important to most users IMO.

I left ATT because I was sick and tired of dropped calls, having coverage and keeping a connection are two vastly different things.

My fav is not even related to the Droid, it's VZ's iphone on the island of misfit toys...

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The important question is whether one can talk, text, surf, and drive at the same time.

No doubt it's my advanced age, but I can't even imagine the circumstances that require such multitasking.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, AT&T found the one thing that CDMA users can't do (except for on WiFi), in all practicality, how often do the AT&T users really talk and surf simultaneously?

Denise1468

Reaction score
My guess is that since the vast majority of verizon phones won't
simultaneously surf and talk, they thought they could get away with saying that.

sho_greg

Reaction score
Verizon needs to do a comercial with a Verizon phone in a rural area on the internet next to a cow.... then put ATT next to the cow on the phone saying "can you hear me now?" While searching on the internet...

And who surfs the web and talks at the same time? I got an idea--- I will call you back.

Denise1468

Reaction score
The important question is whether one can talk, text, surf, and drive at the same time.

No doubt it's my advanced age, but I can't even imagine the circumstances that require such multitasking.
My cousin is a notary, and not only does all aforemetioned multitasking, but also downloads and edits 70-150 page documents! How crazy is that?

Denise1468

Reaction score

My cousin is a notary, and not only does all aforemetioned multitasking, but also downloads and edits 70-150 page documents! How crazy is that? And yes, she's usually in her car!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

My cousin is a notary, and not only does all aforemetioned multitasking, but also downloads and edits 70-150 page documents! How crazy is that? And yes, she's usually in her car!

Please tell me she doesn't drive the roads around Seattle. Or if she does, please post her license plate number. Personally, I'm looking forward to people being put in jail and having their cars impounded for such "multitasking."

Jzaga053

Reaction score
hmm... actually havnt tried this... never needed too. lol

AT&T might have us on this. too bad on AT&T phones, half the time will be spent looking for a signal to be able to make a call the whole time to be able to test it :eek:

windstrings

Reaction score
Doesn't the commercial claim "multitasking".... because the Droid will do that as you can be in a phone call and go check other numbers to will your party waits, or even play a game or anything "not" releated to the network multitasks just fine.... its just that the 3g network cannot multitask.......
But if I remember right thats changing next year.... but its still up in the air as to whether it will be all hardware needed or if a firmware update will bring the droid up to the task.

I can't really think of any "need" for talking to someone on a phone and browsing the net or accessing network abilities at the same time?......

Maybe if the person I'm talking to is really boring?

justbob

Reaction score
So, AT&T found the one thing that CDMA users can't do (except for on WiFi), in all practicality, how often do the AT&T users really talk and surf simultaneously?

Apparently all of the time, if you believe those commercials. :)