Tacky Verizon music played awaiting answer

rocketman45

Reaction score
Is there any way to change that awful, tacky music that Verizon plays -
"Please enjoy the music while you wait for your party to answer" - when making a call. Also when another person is calling you they get to hear the same crap. A good friend called me on my Droid for the first time the other day and before he even said hello he said, "you've got to change that horrible music"!

I know that this isn't Droid specific but I did not have this on my previous (non-smart) phone which was on Alltel. Anyone else annoyed by this too?

medicTHREE

Reaction score
If you hear it when you CALL someone else, you can't change it. Those are "ringback tones" and the person you are calling set them up.

As for if people hear it when they call YOU, you have set up ringback tones at some point. Call verizon and have them disabled. This isn't just a normal feature, but a paid thing, so get it removed and ***** about it too.

Retribution

Reaction score
uhm, shouldn't be doing it on its own but you have to log in to your vzw media page and change your ring back tone to something else or back to the regular ringer.

Verizon Media Store

xjman349

Reaction score
They are called ringback tones. When you download a ringback tone it plays when someone calls you vs. the standard ring. Its $.99 per month for ringback tones and each tone you buy is good for 1 year and is $1.99. If you want to change the music by a different tone at vzw.com/rbt. This site will allow you to change the tone delete it or add new tones. You can also setup juke boxes that allow you to cycle through songs you select when someone calls, this way they don't hear the same song every time they call.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Is there any way to change that awful, tacky music that Verizon plays -
"Please enjoy the music while you wait for your party to answer" - when making a call. Also when another person is calling you they get to hear the same crap. A good friend called me on my Droid for the first time the other day and before he even said hello he said, "you've got to change that horrible music"!

I know that this isn't Droid specific but I did not have this on my previous (non-smart) phone which was on Alltel. Anyone else annoyed by this too?

Pretty cool, you hate it and you're paying for it!

TatDroid

Reaction score
A sneaky sales Rep added it to my plan when I got my Droid. Sounds like the same thing happened to you. I went back in, found the SAME sales Rep and made him remove it.

Shanged

Reaction score
I also got stuck with a ringback when I got my Droid too, luckily someone let me know pretty quickly and I got rid of it.

Also found out I had had a $15 data plan with my old phone for the past 5 months without my knowledge.. At least upgrading to the Droid plan was only $9 extra.

Twoo

Reaction score
I hate ringback tones with a passion. My refused to call my girlfriend for a week until she removed it. I can't stand them. If you have a ringback tone I essentially delete you from my phone.

OP
rocketman45

rocketman45

Reaction score
Thanks all for clearing up this mystery. It is galling that we have been paying for this garbage. I have logged on to vzw and deleted the ringbacktone. I don't recall ever being asked if we wanted this when we signed up for our plan.

droiddoesit

Reaction score
Rage against the Ringback

I hate ringback tones with a passion. My refused to call my girlfriend for a week until she removed it. I can't stand them. If you have a ringback tone I essentially delete you from my phone.

Rage on the ringback tone...

Breath deep. Don't hit the girlfriend..

Hopefully she found the caller ID settings on the website (www.vzw.com/mediastore) to give you the standard ring and everyone else some entertainment. Personally, my wife has them and sets one's especially for me. Kind of nice, I think, and cheaper than flowers.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why a Verizon rep would be sneaky about something like this? I don't think they are paid on any kind of commission. Heck the rep I had acted like I was a pia just because I wanted to switch from a Storm 2 to a Droid. And I had to pay more to do it.

crspang

Reaction score
Hook,
I don't know for sure, but I can imagine that the CSR's at VZW get some incentive for addons. Either a bonus or good performance reviews, or a commission. That would SOP for any company. IMO