Home music player with Droid via WIFI?

Snowbomb7

Reaction score
I went to a party Saturday night where the host was using his Iphone to control the music playing over the speakers in the back yard. I asked him how and he said it is done via wifi to his reciever. He asked if my Droid could do it and I didn't know how to answer? So my fellow Droidians, is it possible for us to play music wirelessly from our Droids via wifi to our home audio reciever?

Last edited:

JoshSkillz

Reaction score
i have similar interests. Any bets he was using the remote app for Airtunes. I used to use this back when i had an iphone.
every set of speakers in my house where connected to an apple airport express, and my entire itunes libary at my finger tips. sad now :(

Purgatory

Reaction score
yup, very easily with a few apps, some that come to mind are Tunes Remote which acts just like the remote app on the iphone/ipod touch (I have both as well as a droid), and gmote, which allows you to connect to your music and video files and play them from your computer on your phone, or on the computer where the file is located (playing on the phone is still Beta and has issues). Tunes Remote works best if you use itunes only because it does recognize your playlists.

chudilo

Reaction score
Should be easy to code.( I might want to code that myself)

You can of course control songbird over the network with the Web interface. This is actually a good project to code for android. I might actualyl consider taking this on. Meaning it should be pretty straightforward to make an android app to send out the exact same HTTP calls to control it without starting a browser.

ginormus

Reaction score
I have a PC, router and a receiver (not connected to the pc or router). What hardware would I need, along with one of the above mentioned apps, to play music on my home stereo?

Purgatory

Reaction score
if you are looking for a quick way, I assume you have a headphone port that works at the least, and you can get a 1/8th audio connector and convert that to a 1/4" audio connector. plug that into your receiver, and you now have sound to your home speakers. Now wasn't that easy? If you are looking for better sound, then you can get more hardware to go directly from 1/4" to 1/4", but most people do not notice a difference (sorry, I'm an audiophile).

srodsimpson

Reaction score
I use a bluetooth pendant (the kind you can plug your own earbuds into) and go from the headphone output of the pendant to whatever source I need to -- Aux input if your stereo has one or get the 3.5 to rca adapter cord to plug it into the R/L rca inputs of a stereo.

chudilo

Reaction score
All you need is a cable like this Newegg.com - BELKIN F8V235-07GLD-AP Stereo Link Cable for iPod, 7 ft.

With it, you can either hook up the Droid directly to the amp or hook up the computer via audio out (prefered) or speaker-out to the amplifier.
You don't have to use such a high end cable of course But I would reccomend it as the shielding makes a significant difference in this case. I personally don't think that Bluetooth has enough bandwidth to handle playing the music over a stereo, but that of course depends on the quality of your Amplifier. if it's one of those Homethater in a box things than Bluetooth is probably good enough.

OP
S

Snowbomb7

Reaction score
Well it would be nice to hook it up wirelessly without any cables at WIFI distances. I was just impressed with the Iphones capabilities. Perhaps someone can make an app for this soon!!!

JCo352

Reaction score
Well it would be nice to hook it up wirelessly without any cables at WIFI distances. I was just impressed with the Iphones capabilities. Perhaps someone can make an app for this soon!!!
There is an app it's called Gmote as stated above. I use it all the time, I hook my computer up to the stereo, run Gmote and I control the music all throughout the house over wifi.

Droidlicous

Reaction score
There is GMote it links up to your computer, via WIFI, and you can browse your library and play it off your computer. You can hook up your computer to a receiver from a 3.5mm to RCA cable adapter if your receiver has an AUX IN.

OP
S

Snowbomb7

Reaction score
Ok just downloaded it and it is EXACTLY what I was looking for. :icon_ banana: Thanks to all for the help!!!