Static when playing music or any app that produces sound

JacobAaron

Reaction score
I have been using my droid for a week and just now started to use it is a music player. I plugged in my earphones and heard this annoying static sound when I play my podcasts or any music. I hear it through my speaker as well so it can't be my headphones. I haven't listened to any music since considering it makes me want to puke after a few minutes of hearing the awful static. I am not sure if this happend when I first got it since I wasn't listening to any music then.

Verizon's tech support instructed me to do a factory reset which I will do soon, but I doubt that will work. Has anyone else had this problem? :(

Edit: I am on my third droid and I can't seem to figure out what is causing all of the static! It is so annoying I can't even listen to music or podcasts. It happens in pandora, music app, a radio stream, the speaker, the headphone jack, ringtones, notifications and anything that produces sound.

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would try the factory reset. What you're experiencing is not normal. If it were just with the headphones I'd say it was a hardware issue with the 3.5mm jack... but since you've said it's also with the music playing through the speaker on the Droid leads me to believe it is a software issue.

The reset may be your best friend. It's the first thing a VZW tech will have you do if you bring it into a store anyway.

OP
J

JacobAaron

Reaction score
I just did the reset in the settings.. There is still major static. Uggh. :(

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm looking to see if I can find anything to help. You may have to exchange....

OP
J

JacobAaron

Reaction score
Sorry for reviving this thread but I am on my third droid and I can't seem to figure out what is causing all of the static! It is so annoying I can't even listen to music or podcasts. It happens in pandora, music app, a radio stream, the speaker, the headphone jack, ringtones, notifications and anything that produces sound.

I am asking because since this is my third droid I can't be the only one who is having this problem. It seems every thread made on this issue is buried with no reply. =[

Scribble

Reaction score
I am asking because since this is my third droid I can't be the only one who is having this problem. It seems every thread made on this issue is buried with no reply. =[

Could be a lot of things causing static unfortunately.

So you say this is the 3rd Droid you've had and each one has the static issue?

Seems less likely it's a hardware issue with the droid itself.

1st question: It happens with or without the headphones correct?

2nd question: What apps are you running to play sound? (IE stock music player or something else...)

3rd Question: Is your Droid Stock? Ie not rooted?

4th Question: Does it do it with ALL ringtones? IE the factory installed ringtones?

5th question: Have you tried playing sound on a "clean" droid IE before you've installed any apps at all?

6th question: Is your droid plugged in and charging when it makes the static sounds? Does it stioll do it regardless of charging or not?

7th Question: Does it still make the sounds no matter where you are? IE inside/outside/at work/at home...

8th Question: How loud do you have the media volume set to?

Big0013

Reaction score
I have had the same problem with static only in the left ear, but it is due to the wifi kernel. There is some type of bug that causes this to happen. If I put my phone back to stock it works fine. It only happens at max volume so I keep mine down a notch or two.I've been threw three Droid's as well and its been the same thing every time ...

bots

Reaction score
This is a known bug with the tether/overclock kernel. Are u using a custom kernel or just stock?

Big0013

Reaction score
quick question to Bots is there a wifi kernel fix yet.. Or are they working on it..

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Rooted I noticed it only when the artist hits a high note or the volume of the song peaks. Its not that bad but I notice it to help I will turn the media volume.on my phone down a hair and just increase the volume of the radio.

OP
J

JacobAaron

Reaction score

2nd question: What apps are you running to play sound? (IE stock music player or something else...)

4th Question: Does it do it with ALL ringtones? IE the factory installed ringtones?

5th question: Have you tried playing sound on a "clean" droid IE before you've installed any apps at all?

6th question: Is your droid plugged in and charging when it makes the static sounds? Does it stioll do it regardless of charging or not?

7th Question: Does it still make the sounds no matter where you are? IE inside/outside/at work/at home...

Sorry for the late reply.

1. Yes with or without headphones

2. Stock music player and listen.

3. Yes my droid is stock, I have not rooted my phone.

4. Yes all ringtones, generally when ever there is sound produced.

5. Yes. When I first received the droid it sounded normal although I could hear it very softly but the verizon rep thought I was crazy.. What seems to happen is the louder the static / noise gets changes. Today it was almost unnoticeable, but yesterday it was loud and I had to stop listening to my podcasts.

6. Charging and when it is not charging.

7. Question 5

8. What I find odd is I listen to my podcasts on 1/3 volume. Of corse when I listen to music I turn it up higher but no where past the 2/3's mark. When I turn the music completely off I can still hear it, although not as loud as before. When I press stop on music I can hear the noise clearly and then cut off almost like turning off a speaker.

I really appreciate your help. I will try and upload a sound clip I recorded yesterday of a podcast playing with the static noise in the background.

medintern

Reaction score

Sorry for the late reply.

1. Yes with or without headphones

2. Stock music player and listen.

3. Yes my droid is stock, I have not rooted my phone.

4. Yes all ringtones, generally when ever there is sound produced.

5. Yes. When I first received the droid it sounded normal although I could hear it very softly but the verizon rep thought I was crazy.. What seems to happen is the louder the static / noise gets changes. Today it was almost unnoticeable, but yesterday it was loud and I had to stop listening to my podcasts.

6. Charging and when it is not charging.

7. Question 5

8. What I find odd is I listen to my podcasts on 1/3 volume. Of corse when I listen to music I turn it up higher but no where past the 2/3's mark. When I turn the music completely off I can still hear it, although not as loud as before. When I press stop on music I can hear the noise clearly and then cut off almost like turning off a speaker.

I really appreciate your help. I will try and upload a sound clip I recorded yesterday of a podcast playing with the static noise in the background.

Sorry for this necro bump for my first post here, but I am having this exact same problem. I am currently on my 2nd droid for same static problem, and all of JacobAaron's answers apply to me. This static problem mainly occurs with ringtones/text notifications/alarms with me, as I rarely play music with my droid.