Noisy Stereo Bluetooth with Droid?

billyk

Reaction score
Any other stereo bluetooth headset users here?

I've used Moto S9HD's for a year now, with regular S9's before that. I've tried two sets of S9HD's with my Droid and both suffer from the same problem - noise/static between songs. It's pretty bad too.

When a song comes to an end for instance, I hear a very static-y noise floor that lasts about 5 seconds after the ends, then it goes totally silent. When I start up a new song, the static starts then the music plays. It's hard to hear if the noise is in the mix when the music is playing.

Any ideas?

Sleeve

Reaction score
I use exactly the same gear daily and I don't see the same problem. I've also tried my son's S9s and they were fine as well. Are you using the stock music player that comes built in, or have you added a different app?

The only thing I hear is a short dropout at the beginning of each track, but no loud, noticeable static like you describe.

Sort of a long shot given the isolation quality of modern gear, but are you near any other things that use frequencies near Bluetooth's, like wifi access points or 2.4 ghz cordless phones?

What about other Bluetooth apps, have you installed something that might have a reason to activate between songs? How about apps that fetch lyrics? I'm thinking that if your Droid suddenly gets busy at the beginning of a song, this might happen.

Odd though. I can definitely tell you that in my daily use I have zero complaints about exactly the combination you're using.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
I use exactly the same gear daily and I don't see the same problem. I've also tried my son's S9s and they were fine as well. Are you using the stock music player that comes built in, or have you added a different app?

The only thing I hear is a short dropout at the beginning of each track, but no loud, noticeable static like you describe.

Sort of a long shot given the isolation quality of modern gear, but are you near any other things that use frequencies near Bluetooth's, like wifi access points or 2.4 ghz cordless phones?

What about other Bluetooth apps, have you installed something that might have a reason to activate between songs? How about apps that fetch lyrics? I'm thinking that if your Droid suddenly gets busy at the beginning of a song, this might happen.

Odd though. I can definitely tell you that in my daily use I have zero complaints about exactly the combination you're using.

Thanks Sleeve. I'll have to look into this. No apps that would interfere, no nearby access points/cordless phones. I need to look at TuneCab, a program that converts DRM tunes to mp3 - but I've been using that for over a year.

Good to hear that it's probably not the S9's.
Thanks!

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Looked into this. I've found that it's just my BT connection. I get static/noise from my MP3's and from Pandora as well - so it's not the source.

If I use hardwired phones, it works perfectly - so it's the BT connection for sure.

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas??

sessionthree

Reaction score
I have this same issue when connected through bluetooth in my vehicle. If I connect to my computer here at work and stream through my desktop speakers, I don't have this issue. I just assumed it was interference from my vehicle in some way.

EDIT: I assume it's the vehicle only because my last phone behaved this same way as well (Samsung Omnia).

GrillMouster

Reaction score
I use a Rocketfish (from Best Buy) stereo bluetooth headset for media. When the phone is connected to wifi I get audio dropouts and diconnects on the stereo BT headset. The BT signal becomes really directional when wifi is on; simply moving my head 90 degrees causes/fixes audio dropouts. So far I've only experienced this problem at home, where I have a bunch of wifi-enabled devices communicating simultaneously. With wifi off, I get a clear signal to the headset across my house and across my office suite.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Update:
Seems like we have different experiences with the S9's. My issue is noise between songs and in quiet music passages. If I pause a song on the Droid, the noise in the S9's will persist for about 4 seconds, then drop to silence. Wired headphones are perfectly quiet.

Today, I tried turning off the BT, shutting down and removing the battery in hopes that the BT software will reset somehow. Didn't happen. The S9's are still noisy.

Then, I tried pairing my Droid with a friend's S9 headset and the exact same noise floor was there with his S9's. So it was looking like the Droid has noisy BT software.

Here's the kicker - my friend owns the N1 and he listened to his N1 with his S9's and the noise floor is there as well!! With a wired headset, his N1 is quiet.

Interesting. Two out of two S9's have the same problem. I guess I will just live with it!

jsb432

Reaction score
Update:
Seems like we have different experiences with the S9's. My issue is noise between songs and in quiet music passages. If I pause a song on the Droid, the noise in the S9's will persist for about 4 seconds, then drop to silence. Wired headphones are perfectly quiet.

Today, I tried turning off the BT, shutting down and removing the battery in hopes that the BT software will reset somehow. Didn't happen. The S9's are still noisy.

Then, I tried pairing my Droid with a friend's S9 headset and the exact same noise floor was there with his S9's. So it was looking like the Droid has noisy BT software.

Here's the kicker - my friend owns the N1 and he listened to his N1 with his S9's and the noise floor is there as well!! With a wired headset, his N1 is quiet.

Interesting. Two out of two S9's have the same problem. I guess I will just live with it!

I don't use BT headphones, but I experience the same noise when using external speakers plugged in to the Droid 3.5mm jack. I also hear it when listening to music on the Droid speaker. One way I test it is to play music (music player, Pandora, whatever) and turn the speaker volume all the way down, then hold the speaker to my ear - the same noise is there. I've done this on over a dozen Droids in several locations using multiple sources, and it's always there.

7rx

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem. Before my Droid I'd stream bluetooth audio from my netbook to my work desktop running Win 7. It worked fine. But now with the droid i've set up the same thing except the source is the Droid and Win 7 still has the speakers, and i'm getting static and random brief drop outs.

johnny_waz

Reaction score
My Bionic has the exact same problem as the orginal poster with my multiple bluetooth headsets, and wired headsets. 4G service is the "BIGGEST" culprit! If I force 3G service or use WIFI only the static goes away. Try it! Shut 4G service off and see for yourself. My second problem is with the wired headsets causeing a high pitched sqeal when the volume is low or in between songs. It is very aggravating! It may be something only certain age group users will hear due to the squeals frequency.