T-Mobile's Google Nexus 6 Could Get WiFi Calling & VoLTE in Android 5.1 March Update

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
tmobile-nexus6-wifi-calling-volte-update.JPG

We always love it when company executives take to Twitter because it usually means they are sharing some relevant bit of intel on future devices or future updates to devices. We have an example of the later for you folks today. T-Mobile's Senior Product Manager Desmond Smith Tweeted what you see above. Apparently, the Nexus 6 for T-Mobile is very close to getting an update which will include both WiFi calling and VoLTE.

Previously, HTC’s Product Manager Mo Versi, shared that Google’s next “major release” would be Android 5.1. If you consider that T-Mobile’s own deadline (Q1) officially ends Tuesday, March 31st, and put two and two together, it's easy to conclude that Android 5.1 is likely coming in March.

How's that for a round-about way of getting there? :)

Source: Twitter - T-Mobile

Reactions: CJM

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I love Wifi calling on my T-Mobile Xperia Z3. My girl lives up in the mountains and don't get very good signal there so it comes in very handy.

@johnomaz I can't wait for 700mhz! Supposed to get an update in May to enable it on this handset.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
@wicked ya, the update is coming but for the Central Valley in California, we are designated to get 700mhz, probably closer to the end of the year. Can't wait for it.

Kboss375

Reaction score
May be a dumb question, but for those of us who bought it from the play store, would you get this update signing up for service with T-Mobile?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
May be a dumb question, but for those of us who bought it from the play store, would you get this update signing up for service with T-Mobile?

You should. the update comes from Google, not TMobile. Google is just adding the ability for our phone to use the new freq from tmobile. The wifi calling part, if it pans out, I'm not sure though. Maybe its an app they will make available.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
WiFi calling is a great idea in concept, but don't expect many public WiFi hotspots to support it.