T Mobile Allows You To Rollover Unused Data

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
lp-mq-data-stash.jpg

TMobile announced a new program Data Stash that will allow you to rollover you unused monthly data and store it for 12 months.

Why not call it rollover?
AT&T actually owns the use of the term "rollover" from its days when it rolled over minutes as Cingular Wireless.

John Legere said:

t-mobile_usa_logo.jpg
"Can you imagine your gas station siphoning unused gas from your car each month? The US wireless industry is even worse," said John Legere, president and CEO for T-Mobile. "Americans have been gamed by the carriers into buying huge data plans – all to avoid getting screwed with overage penalties. Only to find out they bought more than they need which is then confiscated by the carrier. For the consumer it’s lose, lose."

"That data is rightfully yours," added Legere. "And, we’re putting an end to this appalling industry practice today. With Data Stash, when you buy additional high-speed data, there’s no need to lose what you don’t use."

TMO wants your business and has launched some very aggressive programs recently.

Go ahead – Keep the data that’s yours

Head over to the TMO site for the scoop.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Good stuff T-Mo.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
"That data is rightfully yours," added Legere. "And, we’re putting an end to this appalling industry practice today. With Data Stash, when you buy additional high-speed data, there’s no need to lose what you don’t use."

If only more companies understood this.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
All of these things are great gimmicks which can save some folks a lot of monies....

...But until they improve their LTE coverage, I cannot switch to TMO. My wife just did from AT&T. She loves the free data streaming for her music. She was scared for years to do so. I though....I need to be able to pull up data while in the towns I frequent, and TMO just isn't fully invested yet. Lot of areas still on Edge. To note, the other 3 majors have blanketed these areas!

Ain't nothing wrong w/being the fastest, or with having great perks....but at the end of the day, I don't want to see the buffering sign when I'm having to stand in line at the store or if I'm meeting someone and I need to tether my phone, I don't want to look foolish.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I had T-mobile before moving to my current location and loved it, but it's coverage map is nowhere near my current area and there was an issue with not being able to roam properly on AT&T's towers. They finally fixed voice, but as far as I know, you still couldn't get data while roaming here.

They were boss back in the day with free roaming, so it wasn't that big of a deal that their coverage wasn't very large until this issue came up.

Let us also not forget that they were the first to offer an android phone!

Man. Those were the good old days...I didn't even mind that they use to much pink. If they had service here, they'd have my business again in a heartbeat.

I used to be jealous of Cingular's rollover minutes, until I realized I didn't use anywhere near my cap, but data is another story. I can always find ways/reasons to use more. Since I've switched to tiered data, I use the bulk of my data in the last week or two of each month now. I don't worry about how much I use earlier (with the exception of no longer updating/downloading apps via mobile like I used to whenever I can help it), but I do my best to use up as much of the data that I've paid for as I can.

This should be standard practice. I could care less about minutes and texts, even if I didn't have unlimited, but give me my data!!!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Oddly enough I was just at my local TMobile store yesterday and changed my plan. They are offering 2 lines with unlimited talk/text/LTE data for $100 a month. My wife and I were on unlimited talk/text but only 3 gigs of data each for $120. Obviously this will help out single line accounts. TMobile really is doing a good job. The numbers of new subscribers and ATT/VZW losing customers I think is proof of that.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hopefully people in their coverage areas will see the light and continue to jump ship from the Big Two that those of us who're less fortunate are stuck with and those two will start to realize that they're gonna have to do better.

I won't hold my breath though.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I had a vision of this, many moons ago as Verizon began shuffling their customers into tiered data plans...

Verizon CFO Says One Third of Customers Already on Shared Data Plan. Android Forum at DroidForums.net

I think there's a straightforward solution that would probably please both VZW and most subscribers, which is rollover data. In our case, we have two lines with unlimited data at $30/month each -- which just happens to be the same rate that VZW charges for 2GB on a conventional plan. I've done the math a dozen times, and I keep concluding that I'd be happy to switch to the $30-for-2GB as long as the excess MB roll over each month (and NEVER EXPIRE!!!). I'd give up unlimited (and take back the subsidized option) in a heartbeat, though admittedly, that arrangement wouldn't work for heavier consumers.

FWIW, each time I call, I ask if rollover data might ever happen, and I always get the same pat answer, "That's a great idea -- several customers have mentioned it -- I'll make sure my supervisor knows."

-Matt

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My experience with rollover junk has been that they find a way to say you're using far more data than you are, or that if you don't keep a very close eye on it.. They screw it up for you.. It goes without saying that I've had nothing but issues in "rollover" situations..

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
This is all well and good but you get what you pay for.

Lemme put this out here first... I HATE VZW. I cannot stand what they do to devices. (skip to the last sentence if the rest is TL;DR)

I used a OnePlus One for the past six months on TMo while keeping my VZW MotoX as a backup. I traveled all summer long and always had both phones on me and often checked out both to see how TMo stacked up. I live in NoVA/D.C. and I traveled to Rehoboth Beach, Philly, NYC, upstate NY(Albany and Climax), New Orleans, and all through FL (from panhandle to Miami).

Straight up, TMo is half-steppin'. It's excessively spotty, and the majority of areas in between major metros are either uncovered or covered by REALLY bad 3G. If TMo is the top network in your area you are in the minority. Good for you, but it's not the norm. Outside of cities I found myself pulling out my VZW phone and having 2 bars of LTE when my TMo phone was at either barely holding on to 4G or at a constant 1-2 bars of 3G, which isn't good. It was most notedly apparent when driving in rural areas and the nav on my OnePlus would switch to dead reckoning navigation because there was no data for the maps. I would check the Moto X and have 2-3 bars of LTE. I'd tether the OnePlus and I'd be back in action. This is a big deal because the times you REALLY need your phone is when you're away from the comfort of your home area. Anyone can walk a block and get a good signal, but what about when the entire region doesn't have service... that's a BFD if an emergency pops up; THAT is when a cellphone earns its keep.

In large metros I found the service was "acceptable" and well covered with strong LTE, but even then it still had its moments. For instance, a month ago I was in the rain and parking my car at rush hour on K Street in D.C. (P.J. Clarke's). I got lucky and found a parking spot but I had to pay using a parking app. I tried to download it on my TMo phone... 1 bar of 3G... in the middle of D.C.! I walked up a block and down a block... nothing. Usually you can walk a block and you'll get a signal, but this time was a total bust. I went back to my car and pulled out the Moto X... 4 bars of LTE. I tethered my OnePlus (which was a reoccurring theme over 6 months) and downloaded the app and paid for parking. I'm not saying VZW was perfect, but there's a noticeable difference in the block-by-block consistency of service in large cities... very noticeable. And this isn't just in my home city, it was the case everywhere I went.

The other thing I noticed... Tower saturation. At large sporting events or anytime large crowds of people gathered my TMo phone just couldn't cut it 3 out of 11 events (yes, I noted it). It would show full reception but the data speeds were abysmal. I specifically remember my VZW phone being a complete DOG during baseball games but this issue has actually disappeared in the past two years... with TMo it was a current issue.

So let's say, 80% of the time pretty much any mobile carrier will work at an acceptable level for any given person if you live in a large city. I acknowledge that outside of the city it totally depends on who has a tower near you. But, in my own personal head to head test VZW came out a big winner in these situations: network consistency, traveling THROUGH rural areas, and handling network saturation. VZW had a usable (mostly LTE) signal time-after time-after time, in town-after town-after town, on block-after block-after block. It's simply a better network, period. YMMV, but I traveled quite a bit by land over the past 6 months, and you won't convince me otherwise.

I'll also say I would still be using the OnePlus on TMo if VZW didn't allow the Nexus 6. But I'd definitely have my VZW phone as a backup.

Right now, using my N6 on VZW leaves me EXTREMELY satisfied in my cellular situation. I HATE VERIZON AND THEIR MEDDLING WAYS.

...But dat network.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yup. That's the ticket right there Dusty. Once a year, I travel home to Kansas from the UP of Michigan. We used to make the same trip when I was on T-Mo from the other direction. I know it's been years now since then, but even right after I switched (back) to VZW, the coverage was WAY better between here and there and it's only improved since.

If someone could convince a company with a network backbone like vzw to be just a little better to their customers like t-mo, that company would completely obliterate the competition.

I know I'd switch if t-mo had coverage in my area, but that route home would also be a consideration and I DEFINITELY wouldn't switch until they'd been around for a couple of years and (hopefully) beefed up the network.

That's the other thing. I grew up near Wichita, Ks, largest city actually in the state (Let's face it, KC is pretty much a Missouri city). I never once saw 3G in or around Wichita, but caught it passing through KC many times. I moved up here to po-dunksville in the middle of forest-land, picked up the OG droid and was amazed that they had 3G up here. And it worked quite well everywhere I frequent. They weren't super slow on kicking it up to 4G either.