AT&T Rollover Plan

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ever since T-Mobile announced their new rollover data plan I knew it was a matter of time before AT&T followed. AT&T can not afford to get to far behind T-Mobile as it is easier for their customers to switch. Customers who are enrolled in the Mobile Share plan will be automatically enrolled.

HERE’S HOW IT WORKS:

• All levels of AT&T Mobile Share Value plan customers automatically receive the Rollover Data feature – no signing up, no additional cost.
  • Rollover Data can be shared with everyone on the same Mobile Share Value plan.
  • If you do not use your full allotment of plan data in a given month, the extra amount automatically rolls over and is available to be used within the next month.
  • Within a given month, you will use your plan allotment first, before you begin using your Rollover Data. Unused Rollover Data does not carry over.
As an example:

If you have four lines and have a 15GB AT&T Mobile Share Value Plan and only use 10GB in a given month, you’ll roll over 5GB and have a total of 20GB available to use within the next month. If you were to only use 10GB in the second month, you’ll again roll over 5GB and have a total of 20GB available the next month. Bottom line: if you have unused plan data this month, it automatically rolls over to be used within the next month in case you need more than your plan’s allotment. This gives you that extra data to do the things you love across all your devices, like surfing the web, watching videos, listening to your favorite music or sending email.

AT&T Mobile Share Value customers will be able to view their Rollover Data balance on the myAT&T app or online at att.com.

AT&T customers can join the conversation by following #RolloverData to share the news and hear the latest about shareable Rollover Data.

- See more at: AT T Gives 50 Million Customers Shareable Rollover Data at No Charge AT T

Is there any chance we will see Verizon do the same thing?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Man. I know it's highly improbable, but I'd sure love it if Big Red followed suit on this one. I've stayed well within my allotted data since I gave up unlimited, but it'd be great to have to worry even less after a few months of being under the cap.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I could see vzw doing something more watered down. They did do their own version of the jump plan. I could see their version being modeled similar to at&t's except they will probably make it for their higher tiered plans and maybe only a percent of it rolls over.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I could see vzw doing something more watered down. They did do their own version of the jump plan. I could see their version being modeled similar to at&t's except they will probably make it for their higher tiered plans and maybe only a percent of it rolls over.
I'd even settled for a percentage of it.

Thinking about doing some wheelin' and dealin' with my plan anyway. The future Mrs. Kansas gets a discount through her employer, but her mom's gift to her and her sister has been to have them on her bill for years now.

But, I see that you get 10GB of shared data for like $110 a month, which isn't any worse than what I'm already paying for my 2GB +1GB promotional that will eventually end. I'm pretty sure their plan only gives her about 2 as well, so we'd both have more data to play with than we tend to use at present anyway.

So we might just be doing a real family plan and this won't matter as much to me, but if we decide it's not the best idea, I want some rollover even if I never use it up.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Err.....
No.

It would be even better, if they brought Unlimited back.

My idea would be:
6 Gigs of LTE and then throttle down to 3G speeds after, with no caps.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Err.....
No.

My idea would be:

With vzw launching VoLTE, not happening. Days of unlimited data are long gone. For one people are already up in arms over vzw throttling unlimited data now so I do not see them revisiting that idea. The best you can hope for is a double data deal promotion with rollover data, which is what I have with ATT right now.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Err.....
No.

My idea would be:

Bandwidth costs money. Customers who are replacing their internet connections for their phones are the primary offenders. There is a point, even with the price paid per month being as high as it is, that the company loses money. Even if it does nothing to their bottom line, they are going to do what they can to keep everything green.

Sadly, consumers are the ones who are hurt the most.

Then again, no person should be using 100GB or more a month on their mobile device. But that is talk for another time.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Not to reopen this can of worms, but unlimited isn't "gone" yet. We've all known for over well over a year that if you want to keep your unlimited, you'll have to pay retail. The way I see it is: taking a few months to save up the $6-7 hundred dollars, isn't any different than saving for a week or two to come up with $150-200 by purchasing "on contract".
The fact is, we DO have a choice is all I'm saying. The majority of us don't "need" a new device the day it's released, and I think we've become spoiled by "on contract" pricing, which gives us a brand new device for $200 dollars or less. (often times MUCH less, if you wait a month or two....which most people do anyways) Hey, I'm all about getting the best possible deal and saving money when I can and I don't like parting with my hard earned money any more than the next guy, but IMO, if you can afford 200 down and a monthly bill for a voice/text/data plan, you can afford to save up to pay full price.
We talk bad about Verizon like they don't give us a choice in the matter. They've simply changed the rules. You either change with them, or go without.
So until they don't give us that option anymore, I'll save up for however long it takes to pay full retail and keep my unlimited for as long as I can.
The fact is, unlimited means unlimited. It doesn't mean unlimited "up to" ___GB.
If they want to throttle high data users, well that's another story, and personally I'm fine with it. Bandwidth is bandwidth, whether I use 100GB or Joe Schmo uses 10. The fact that they are making millions by charging people separately for texting plans that don't cost them a dime, well it is what it is. They aren't losing money on the few unlimited data users that are left, regardless of how much data they use.

S5 tap'n

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Without being too much of a tard: Unlimited means unlimited...data. You can have all the MBs and GBs you want. There is nothing about having unlimited speed. If this were the case, then I would have complained many moons ago.

So as consumers, what do we really want? Unlimited data? Unlimited speed?

Unlimited data is doable. Unlimited speed on a wireless network is silly, unrealistic and not going to happen. They may spend billions on spectrum and hundreds of millions on equipment, but wireless still has it's physical limitations.

And they aren't making millions, they are making billions. But after a certain point, it's all the same.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Without being too much of a tard: Unlimited means unlimited...data. You can have all the MBs and GBs you want. There is nothing about having unlimited speed. If this were the case, then I would have complained many moons ago.

So as consumers, what do we really want? Unlimited data? Unlimited speed?

Unlimited data is doable. Unlimited speed on a wireless network is silly, unrealistic and not going to happen. They may spend billions on spectrum and hundreds of millions on equipment, but wireless still has it's physical limitations.

And they aren't making millions, they are making billions. But after a certain point, it's all the same.
Agreed. If they want to throttle the top percent of users when those users are on a tower that's congested, that sucks for those users, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. The theoretical "pipe" is only so big.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Isn't the rolled over data throttled?