Synch locally with Outlook 2007 only and not with Google.

Sirngweo

Reaction score
I am wondering if Motorola’s new Droid phone supports the following use case:

At home I have Outlook 2007 with tons of content in Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes. I regularly update the Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes on my current cell phone from my Outlook 2007 (one way from outlook to cell phone). Email remains in Outlook and is not synched with my cell phone. I manage and backup the PST files that support my Outlook setup.

Some questions:
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Would I be able synch my Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes with the Droid AND keep everything local to me (and how)? I do NOT want my Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes saved on Google servers.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Can I disable the Android feature that synchs with Google servers?
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Assuming the answer is yes to the two preceding questions, would I still be able to access the rest of the Droid feature set?

Thanks,
Sirngweo.

flyingfun

Reaction score
I am using Outlook 2003 and this is the reason I am waiting to purchase a Droid as well. Thanks for asking. Have been reading the responses regarding USB cable ony syncing for quite sometime and would seem without some 3rd party app...not available. Hoping Google or Verizon will make some changes to enable.

Don't let the simple answers of "do some research" get you down. As this is a very needed upgrade.

OP
S

Sirngweo

Reaction score
I am using Outlook 2003 and this is the reason I am waiting to purchase a Droid as well. Thanks for asking. Have been reading the responses regarding USB cable ony syncing for quite sometime and would seem without some 3rd party app...not available. Hoping Google or Verizon will make some changes to enable.

Don't let the simple answers of "do some research" get you down. As this is a very needed upgrade.

Much appreciated, flyingfun. I too am waiting to see if something good happens on this front in December.
Sirngweo.

Mike Wittman

Reaction score
Way to difficult to work with ..

I have the same setup and the best I can tell there is no method available today to sync your Outlook data. I've tried every technique suggested by any forum I could find on the subject and all fail miserably. In fact my phone now reports an continous error "google application failure"

Since I live and breath through Outlook .. I'll be returning the droid next week.

Nowadays with useless technical support (and impossible language barriers) if a product doens't do "out of the box", what I want then I return it .. no questions asked.

On the other hand .. the "driod" is a great toy!

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try looking at this . It will do what all of you need

R

racklefratz

Try looking at this . It will do what all of you need

Not even close. It's still in beta.

Quoting from a 12/18/09 emailing from CompanionLink Software:

"KNOWN ISSUES

1. PC Contacts sync to Android Contacts. PC sync to phone is fast, but phone to PC sync is currently slow. CL USB Sync has a setting for "Fast Mode" that sends contacts one way for better performance. "Slow Mode" syncs two ways. We recommend fewer than 2500 contacts for better device performance. Contacts can be filtered using the CompanionLink USB desktop software. Categories are mapped to Android Groups.

2. PC Calendar syncs to Events in the CL USB Sync app. Start CL USB Sync on the phone, and hit Menu, select Events, which will show Day view. Month view will come soon. Recurring events and exceptions are supported. Adding and editing recurring events must be done on the PC. Single events can be added on the Android phone. CL USB Events support Categories.

3. PC Tasks and PC Notes sync to CL USB Sync Tasks and Memos. Tasks and Memos support Categories.

4. Contact names on Motorola CLIQ devices do not display right. We will fix this soon."

I will give it another look once they get the bugs out.

Last edited by a moderator:

flyingfun

Reaction score
I left a request to them in their developer site for looking at some screen shot samples of what it looks like on the phone...no response. :mad:

Sure would like to use my Outlook as well, seamlessly.

AMC

Reaction score
I too need an app to sync outlook 2007 with Verizon droid. I have used palm smart phones for years & sync outlook using KeySuite by Chapura. It syncs contacts, calendar, notes & all my custom categories. I need an app that will do this for the Verizon droid, no app for this then no droid for me! I have sent a request to Chapura if they will be adding compatibility for the droid just today. Will post any response I receive from them.