Sync - Outlook Notes to Droid

Twist747

Reaction score
I'm presently testing Companionlink in order to sync Outlook contacts & calendar via the cloud to my Droid. It says that it is syncing notes but I can't find them or figure out how to see them on my Droid.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to still sync my Outlook Notes to my phone (like I did in Palm with Hotsync).

Thanks!

fivester

Reaction score
Not sure it's possible prior to Exchange 2010

I am not sure that the Droid can sync notes from Outlook, at least using ActiveSync on either Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2007. My understanding is that this is a limitation of ActiveSync on those versions of Exchange and not a limitation of the Android OS or the Droid itself. Having different software on the Droid (like TouchDown) for syncing will not help either because it all relies on ActiveSync when it accesses the Exchange server.

I have been trying to do this myself for a user at a company I support and I came across this article on Microsoft TechNet, which seems to rule out note syncing on Exchange 2007 (and I presume 2003).
Overview of Exchange ActiveSync: Exchange 2007 Help

Then there is this article from TechNet that seems to say that Exchange 2010 does support note syncing over ActiveSync:
Understanding Exchange ActiveSync: Exchange 2010 Help

Perhaps on the versions of Exchange prior to 2010 it can be done on the desktop using some application (I have seen posts at other sites describing things like exporting the notes as text files and reimporting them on the phone), but that would not be seamless for the user, easily supported, or scalable.

For right now, barring an upgrade to Exchange 2010, I am currently resigned to not syncing notes in Outlook.

If anyone else has any ideas on this, I'd love to hear them.

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
Twist and Fivester

CompanionLink does notes. However, Google does not have a good place for them that gets automatically sent to the Android phone. So what CompanionLink does is it makes a "Contact" from the note information, and sends it to the Droid Contact list. You will probably need to modify your Groups setting on the phone to see the entries. The Contact name will be the subject of the note, with the first and last name set to |M|, the pipes insuring the notes sort to the bottom of the phone list.

With our direct sync product, we wrote Tasks and Notes application for Android so they could be displayed correctly. We agree that the "Classic" apps are Contacts, Calendar, Task and Notes. I'm completely befuddled why Google doesn't know about the latter two.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Software, Inc.
www.companionlink.com

dean.collins

Reaction score
Touchdown does tasks but not notes - it's really anoying.

i'd pay for an app that sync notes to outlook (or even better directly to MS one note 2003)

RolandOG

Reaction score
clcto,

With the direct sync product, can you set it to sync only Tasks and Notes? I have my Droid syncing my Outlook email, contacts and calendar wirelessly via my firms exchange server and I don’t want to change that. I use Notes religiously and I’m really hoping I can find a way to get Notes sync’d directly off my PC and not have to put the info online.

georgegwk

Reaction score
Hi RolandOG, did you find a solution to syncing notes without having to change the way you sync mail and calendar? Thanks, georeg

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Touchdown does tasks but not notes - it's really anoying.

i'd pay for an app that sync notes to outlook (or even better directly to MS one note 2003)

But it's in the works for Touchdown. Go into the setting where you select what folder sync and you will see Notes......

RolandOG

Reaction score
Hi RolandOG, did you find a solution to syncing notes without having to change the way you sync mail and calendar? Thanks, georeg

No, that's why I'm asking clcto if CompanionLink will work they way I described. There are notes and tasks apps out there but I don't want to sync to Google with that information.

jacitron

Reaction score
If you're using the Google version, notes are synced to your Google contacts list and appear at the top of the list on Google and on your phone. Tasks are synced to the Google calendar.

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
RolandOG, Yes! The setting is pretty obvious. With all CompanionLink products you can sync one application at a time. So just Task and Notes for the USB Sync happens when you uncheck Calendar and Contacts. You can try it free so no need to wait.

rvonder

Reaction score
Just came across this thread, so thought I'd add a quick update: TouchDown now supports syncing of Notes, but only if you are using an Exchange 2010 server.

As I understand it, this has been a longstanding limitation for any email client using MS ActiveSync (including Outlook Mobile). Notes sync capability was finally added for Exchange 2010, but of course support for this must be added by each mail client vendor within their own products.

As an aside, if you're a serious Exchange user then TouchDown is the only real solution. The improvements to the native Android client in FroYo help, but you still get a lot more functionality and flexibility with TD; it improves on an almost daily basis; and the dev support is fantastic. (Disclaimer: I have no connection with NitroDesk other than as a very satisfied user.)

RolandOG

Reaction score
Just came across this thread, so thought I'd add a quick update: TouchDown now supports syncing of Notes, but only if you are using an Exchange 2010 server.

As I understand it, this has been a longstanding limitation for any email client using MS ActiveSync (including Outlook Mobile). Notes sync capability was finally added for Exchange 2010, but of course support for this must be added by each mail client vendor within their own products.

As an aside, if you're a serious Exchange user then TouchDown is the only real solution. The improvements to the native Android client in FroYo help, but you still get a lot more functionality and flexibility with TD; it improves on an almost daily basis; and the dev support is fantastic. (Disclaimer: I have no connection with NitroDesk other than as a very satisfied user.)

So, I downloaded the latest Touchdown for Android 2.x (which didn't have Exchange 2010 listed during setup) and put in my companies server information. I didn't work. I've already confirmed that my company has Exchange 2010 server so I know that's not the issue. I guess I'll try Nitrodesk to see if they know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for the heads-up.

rvonder

Reaction score
The ability to sync Notes is in the latest TD beta version, which you can always be found at this link: http://tinyurl.com/tchdwnbeta.

The fact that it's a beta really isn't a big deal, because Nitrodesk brings out new betas all the time which roll into the Market fairly quickly. Join and report any bugs via their Google Groups forum, where you'll see other users working with Exchange 2010 and the Notes sync feature. (I'm migrating from Exchange 2007 to 2010 myself next week, and I'm also eager to try this!)