Notes app that syncs with PC

Oohyeah

Reaction score
I've been searching around for ways to sync notes between my Droid and my PC.

At first I wanted to sync my Outlook Notes, but found that only feasible way was to use CompanionLink which sync'd the notes to new 'special' Contact items. That was fine for me except there seems to be a text size limit, so long notes don't get sync'd properly.

I then decided to give up on Outlook notes and to use EverNote, which seems really cool. You have to install Evernote on your PC and use that as your Notes app, and install the EverNote client on your Droid. Very powerful with many features, and syncs to Evernote servers (you create an Evernote account).

EXCEPT, however, that it seems like you need to be online to retrieve your notes! So if you're on a plane, then you're stuck w/o your notes. Or if you're overseas roaming w/o an Internet connection, same thing. And that sucks!

I hear iPhone Evernote version came out with offline access, so I'm wondering whether anyone knows whether the Android version will have this feature anytime soon.

Also, are there any other Notes apps that can sync? Free, preferably?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's free but there's a thread on Nitrodesk's solution in the General forum (seems like it should be here).

Scribble

Reaction score
EXCEPT, however, that it seems like you need to be online to retrieve your notes! So if you're on a plane, then you're stuck w/o your notes. Or if you're overseas roaming w/o an Internet connection, same thing. And that sucks!

I hear iPhone Evernote version came out with offline access, so I'm wondering whether anyone knows whether the Android version will have this feature anytime soon.

Also, are there any other Notes apps that can sync? Free, preferably?

I believe evernote actually can cache a copy on your phone for droid as well.

mpenda

Reaction score
Look at 3Banana by Snaptic. An excellent notes app that will sync over the air, and give you local access to your notes on your phone even when off line. Notes are kept on a web page on their server, no local PC app needed.

gprichardson1

Reaction score
GDocs Notepad w/ sync

I use GDocs Notepad with Sync. It syncs up with a folder under your Google docs. So far it's worked great for me. You can't use it for spreadsheets or formated docs from Google Docs but it works fine for simple notepad type docs.

OP
Oohyeah

Oohyeah

Reaction score
Thanks, all, will check those out!

I believe evernote actually can cache a copy on your phone for droid as well.

Nope, I don't think so. If it can, then I couldn't figure out how to do it! I turned off the Internet connection and could not access any of my notes.

pyro6128

Reaction score
+1 on gdocs. I use if for work all the time. I'll just upload files to google docs so I have access to them everywhere, it gets synced to my phone, and then I can review my notes on my phone while on the way to a client. Very easy and seamless

BzB

Reaction score
this is what you're looking for and it's free...

NitroNote allows usb syncing of notes with Outlook 2003/2007. this app is from nitrodesk, the same people who make the best exchange/email client for the droid,
TouchDown.

aside from not supporting wireless sync, this is a great alternative to syncing your outlook notes to the droid via usb cable to your pc.

to install the app you need to make sure "Unknown sources" is checked in the application section on your phone. you can use astro to install the apk. more info on how to get the nitronote application here. good luck! :)

OP
Oohyeah

Oohyeah

Reaction score
Just an update. I've been using NitroNote and it has been great. The only bummer is that you have to connect via USB to sync. Now that everything else (calendar, contacts, email etc) is synced wirelessly, I no longer connect my droid to the pc often anymore, and would have to do it just for the notes. But anyhow, it's a good recommendation, so thank you all of you who recommended it!

WomenWithDroidsDotCom, thanks for the recommendation too. As mentioned in my original post, I've used EverNote before and I think it's great. The deal-breaker for me, however, is that you need online access to retrieve your notes, and quite often when I need notes the most is when I don't have online access, like on the plane, somewhere indoors with poor reception, etc. But as I said, they have offline access for the iphone version so hopefully they'll do the same for the android version too, in which case I would certainly recommend EverNote as the best notes app around!