Swype will release application for all Android users June 16th

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I just wish Swype could add that little mic thingy for speech-to-text, like the android keyboard has.

JayCizzo

Reaction score
Well I got the invite but when I click the link it says I'm not on an Android phone. On a Droid Incredible by the way.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
u guys use your middle finger to swype??? I tried using my thumbs like I always did but it doesnt work very well as it blocks my view of keys and I get lost at where I need to go next lol....

I usually use my forefinger, sometimes the middle finger. Never use my thumbs. If you look at the Swype Installer Icon, it shows a hand using the forefinger. The videos of Swype being used almost always show fingers, not thumbs.

Skytile

Reaction score
u guys use your middle finger to swype??? I tried using my thumbs like I always did but it doesnt work very well as it blocks my view of keys and I get lost at where I need to go next lol....

I usually use my forefinger, sometimes the middle finger. Never use my thumbs. If you look at the Swype Installer Icon, it shows a hand using the forefinger. The videos of Swype being used almost always show fingers, not thumbs.

I use my thumb. If you use a finger, how are you supposed to hold the phone to walk around and text at the same time? I'm all about the one handed texting. Especially for when I'm lying in my bed at night on my side about to go to sleep. It's very difficult to use two hands like that.

Maybe my thumb is smaller, because I can always tell where I am just fine. Plus, I put the blue streak that follows my path on maximum length. If I ever get confused, I can just look back at what I had before. :) dancedroid

KennyBerndt

Reaction score
I have uninstalled everything I could find that said "swype". I used astro and searched for swype, and deleted files. I used the app manager in settings and uninstalled all the files that said swype. It still says downoad of the package failed because swype is already installed. WTF???

dwagner88

Reaction score
Glad this is a beta. It doesn't even swype. I tried switching input methods back and forth and it didn't help. HTC keyboard is way better anyways. This thing is only practical for typing words. Many of the things I type on my phone are not words. They are web or email addresses, or passwords. I don't get it, but some people seem to love it.

Twista89

Reaction score
Glad this is a beta. It doesn't even swype. I tried switching input methods back and forth and it didn't help. HTC keyboard is way better anyways. This thing is only practical for typing words. Many of the things I type on my phone are not words. They are web or email addresses, or passwords. I don't get it, but some people seem to love it.

I never used the virtual keyboard on my LG dare and when I got this phone I just used the regular keyboard to type but this program has got me using the virtual one 50% of the time the swype feature is very fun and Im starting to get the hang of typing with it as it is kind of quick if you know where your going on the keyboard. Mines didnt work as well either but I just went and downloaded the one from droid life and it works perfectly now....

Beardface

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen. Likely, your resigstration didn't take properly. I'd suggest deleting and re-installing and making sure you get all the way through the process until you've completed the registration. If you back out early, you're going to have issues.

JayCizzo

Reaction score
Anyone with a Droid Incredible who can't get Swype to work make sure you have mobile sites enabled in your browser settings. Typing this post with Swype. So far I like it a lot.

erikfig

Reaction score
I downloaded it yesterday and so far I love it! So easy to type now, I can type faster!!!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just wish Swype could add that little mic thingy for speech-to-text, like the android keyboard has.

I agree.. its like, how can you forget that?!?

Well, until then, just long press on the text field and a choice of input methods. Just choose the default keyboard.

While I too wonder why there's no mic, I realize the main thing about Swype is that it's designed to let you type quickly. If you use Speech-to-Text on a keyboard that's designed to type quickly that sort of defeats the purpose. ;)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Soooo....has anyone thought about getting rid of the default keyboard (android keyboard) all together? I'm talking deleting apk. You could always pull out the physical keyboard if Swype malfunctions.

I don't think deleting the default apk is a good idea, but maybe worth a shot.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
aaf709;562169 Well said:
Swype [/B]is that it's designed to let you type quickly. If you use Speech-to-Text on a keyboard that's designed to type quickly that sort of defeats the purpose. ;)

Haha....See what I just posted below you about deleting the default keyboard!

I suspect Swype doesn't have the speech-to-text function either because Google hasn't released the API for it or because there is some legal reason Swype can't incorporate it.

Text-to-speech isn't advanced enough yet for me to use it in a serious way (my main use is "navigate to XYZ", works great!). Swype is still faster, but with increased accuracy and speed (mainly time it takes to load and then process what you said, but also only handles mostly very short phrases), text-to-speech will be the wave of the future.

Tegamal

Reaction score
I almost cried when Swype stopped working the other day, haha Luckily, I had it back by that evening.

I can't imagine using anything else.