Swype vs SlideIT vs Shapewriter? All look great (and similar)!

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok folks seems like the pro version is available and is €5.99 ($8). What do you think worth it or a bit steep. As much as I love the editing on it $8 bucks is a bit steep IMO.

Droman

Reaction score
SlideIT - how do you do single letter words?

For those who use SlideIT, how do you do single letter words? (a, I). If I don't type a space in front of them, they get appended to the word I just wrote.

If you don't slide after a word and just tape a letter you need to press the space button to give you the ability to add letters to the word. only if you slide word after word the engine will add a space by itself.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
I downloaded the SlideIT paid version, but am unsure what the difference is between that and the Lite, any thoughts?

Last edited:

Droman

Reaction score
SlideIT for Android

I downloaded the SlideIT paid version, but am unsure what the difference is between that and the Lite, any thoughts?

1. you can save your dictionary.
2. you can use shortcuts...
3. It doesn't have any limitation of time or acts.

wingdo

Reaction score
Ok folks seems like the pro version is available and is €5.99 ($8). What do you think worth it or a bit steep. As much as I love the editing on it $8 bucks is a bit steep IMO.

Bought it. Way better than the default keyboard. Considering I spent 3 or $4 on better keyboard and it has no slide capabilities, the extra couple bucks seems well worth it for the speed I gain.

au1776

Reaction score
I love Swype, but does anyone know (or has anyone encountered) why it picked up one of my email addresses as the default word choice whenever I type "a." The email isn't even my one used for google sync. It is my only complaint really, but it is freaking obnoxious.

jacestone40

Reaction score

Bought it. Way better than the default keyboard. Considering I spent 3 or $4 on better keyboard and it has no slide capabilities, the extra couple bucks seems well worth it for the speed I gain.

I paid for the app also I really like SlideIT ...I like the Swype and ShapeWriter but SlideIT was slightly better for me plus it will receive updates thru the market

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
One thing I discovered about Shapewriter; there is no underscore "_". As one of my email addys has one, I have to change to the actual keyboard.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
One thing I discovered about Shapewriter; there is no underscore "_". As one of my email addys has one, I have to change to the actual keyboard.

Actually it does. But it took me a while to find it. Press the "@" key in the lower right corner. The underscore "_" is one of the options that shows up in the bar above the keyboard.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I find Swype more accurate than shapewriter and the fact that I can SWYPE my entire email with out having to go into LIT mode with shapewriter... puts SWYPE > Shapewriter I do use both every once in a while just to switch it up.

-=Jason=-

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

Actually it does. But it took me a while to find it. Press the "@" key in the lower right corner. The underscore "_" is one of the options that shows up in the bar above the keyboard.

Found it, thanks. They should change the key to "SYM" or something.

rayvincent

Reaction score
I've only used the free version of slideit so far, took a bit of getting used to, but I haven't opened the phone to use the real keyboard in a few days now. matter of fact it's always felt a bit awkward to use the slide out keyboard.
I like slideit and would try swype too, I'm waiting to see because slideit has one you can buy, but I want to try another first, just to be sure.

wingdo

Reaction score
Just a reminder to everyone having this conversation and testing out Swype, Swype themselves have continually stated that what we are running 1) has known issues and 2) was illegally leaked and that they do not condone people using it as it is copyright infringement. (From several threads regarding running Skype on Android). Now on the plus side, they do seem to be working with the marketplace and they did just release skype with a MyTouch 3G OTA.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
This is from a Swypeinc.com thread, by a moderator three days ago:

"Like I mentioned in your other post, we don't currently have any short-term plans to make Swype available for download."

In other words, they are only marketing to be the default typing application for phone systems, as has been their continuing strategy since inception. However, I think SlideIT is about as good, and is available on the market as a normal downloadable app. I've switched to it for good.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is from a Swypeinc.com thread, by a moderator three days ago:

"Like I mentioned in your other post, we don't currently have any short-term plans to make Swype available for download."

In other words, they are only marketing to be the default typing application for phone systems, as has been their continuing strategy since inception. However, I think SlideIT is about as good, and is available on the market as a normal downloadable app. I've switched to it for good.

After using all three for more than a week now, I find I still prefer Swype. Perhaps it's nothing more than the fact that I accustomed myself to it first and got used to such things as looping for double letters. (I find that intentionally misspelling a word with double letters is problematic and time consuming.) And I have a hard time breaking the habit of swooping up over the top to capitalize a word.

Nevertheless, I've found that SlideIt is nearly as accurate and almost as quick as Swype. (Shapewriter, at least for me, is significantly less accurate. Not sure why.) So I've bitten the bullet and purchased SlideIt and intend to use it exclusively for awhile.