Swype vs SlideIT vs Shapewriter? All look great (and similar)!

Oohyeah

Reaction score
So I came across Swype recently and love it to bits. I can even hold my phone with one hand as I'm walking on the street, and swype with my thumb to reply to a message without making any errors. No way could I have done that with the physical keyboard or with the standard virtual.

Then I start worrying that Swype will expire soon, and/or it will not work when our OS's are upgraded to 2.1.

Then I come across SlideIT and Shapewriter, both of which seem to do the same thing, and it seems that they are/will be available for direct purchase.

SlideIT:
Dasur SlideIT - Mobile text input for Touch screen devices

Shapewriter:
ShapeWriter: Android

So, has anyone tried out all 3? Pros and cons?

From what I can see, I would like the latter 2 more for showing the possible word choices as a single line above the keyboard and not as a pop-up, since that doesn't interfere with the view of my text screen area.

I also notice SlideIT on WinMo allows graffiti too?! (great for writing numbers).

Thoughts and comments?

jacestone40

Reaction score
I have tired Swype and Shapewriter and love both I use both but lean towards ShapeWriter only because it on on the market and can receive updates both IMO are good... Slide IT I have not tried can I download from some where?
Also Swype use more space on the phone.

Spectral

Reaction score
Swype is the ****! I love it. I didn't think I was going to like it but after using it its so much eaiser to text now.

FSTTYMS

Reaction score
I did swype. I haven't tried any others. How do you do names on swype? It ALWAYS fuggs that up.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
I love Swype, but had problems the only time I used Shapewriter. Keys were smaller, suggestion box not as good, many more mistakes. Haven't tried SlideIt yet, in fact can't find it in the Droid Marketplace.

Last edited:

SRR1138

Reaction score
This post is posted with ShapeWriter. Ugh lots of errors. But still getting used to it. Seems like you, have to be spot on, maybe I would just have to get used to it.

SRR1138

Reaction score
This is posted with swype, seems like it can deal with errors much better. But then I have been using swype much longer. Hmmm. I think I will give shapewriter a try, but just by feel, swype, seems the better of the two.

SRR1138

Reaction score
ShapeWriter, here again if I move more slowly it gets less errors. And it auto caps after periods. If move to slowly it will do this:;or this#^. Hmmm have to punch in hmmmm and lol if I just did "lol" by shape it comes out "look".

Anyways I suggest everyone give these a try makes the hard keyboard, just hard to deal with. Lol.

OP
Oohyeah

Oohyeah

Reaction score
SlideIT doesn't seem to be released yet for Android, but hopefully will be soon. Here's the video of it:

[video=youtube;229U0ZYPum8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=229U0ZYPum8[/video]

griz8791

Reaction score
The Swype guys kill me. "Here, kid, try this free meth. One time won't hurt you . . . "

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Swype did take a bit to get used to, but now I use it almost exclusively. The physical keyboard only comes out for certain text/numerical combinations like website addresses, work items and such. Texts and basic emails are all Swype......

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I did swype. I haven't tried any others. How do you do names on swype? It ALWAYS fuggs that up.

any word you can't swype...you can just type in just like the regular keyboard. after that the swype remembers it.

today i came across a very common word that no matter how many times i tried to swipe it ....it didn't know it. the word was nevermind lol. it recognized nm.

evilsock

Reaction score
TO STORE A WORD/NAMEIN DICTIONARY SO SWYPE WILL REMEMBER IT:
just long press the word after you "hard type" it and scrool to "add to dictionary"
boo yaa, now when you type sh** it wont spell shiv lol
hope this helps,

m3kilpat

Reaction score
Of the two currently available, I like swype. However I will not use it until there is a feature to set it to display only in portrait mode. Swype or any programs similar in landscape mode is dumb and hinders productivity. I know I can just use the physical keyboard, but I prefer the default android virtual keyboard because it works great for me. I suck with it in portrait mode though.